Oooops. 1250gsa issue

Or just brave..

Yeah I would agree with that. There is an element of bravery involved with new motorcycles.

I saw how badly it affected Honda VFR1200 owners (both mechanically and financially) when they first came out, and in some ways even the Africa Twin when Honda (yet again) bombed the RRP prices by -£3500.

But then look at the Yamaha MT10 prices at £9,999 OTR when they first launched (now up at £11,500), or Kawasaki H2.... and both shot up in price :D

now a totally new version and back to square one

The only difference is the 1250 shiftcam , some stickers and new paint codes. Everything else is the same as my 1200GSA 18 Rallye

it was diagnosed as a failed cell in the battery, the voltage drop shut down the ECU. very unfortunate but it happens regardless of the cost of a bike! imagine the hissy fit an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser would have been having had the same issue occurred on a cheap old Japanese sports bike!

it was diagnosed as a failed cell in the battery, the voltage drop shut down the ECU. very unfortunate but it happens regardless of the cost of a bike! imagine the hissy fit an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser would have been having had the same issue occurred on a cheap old Japanese sports bike!

Personally, I think shutdown is a positive reaction on behalf of the bike.
If ECU shuts the engine down, there is a reason for it.

The shut down is based on a too low voltage. If a running engine is not able to keep up the voltage on the battery (on the K-model the limit was 10V, probably close to the same value on the boxer) this means that the generator is running "full blast" pouring the energy into the battery, and the battery voltage is still too low. All this power will generate heat, and thus, if the engine would be kept running there would potentially be a far greater problem occurring further into the ride.

The only difference is the 1250 shiftcam , some stickers and new paint codes. Everything else is the same as my 1200GSA 18 Rallye

Noooo, noooo, you forgot the new shit front brakes that everyone who has NOT ridden the bike says are crap!!!

Noooo, noooo, you forgot the new shit front brakes that everyone who has NOT ridden the bike says are crap!!!

They are crap... 3 metres worth, independantly tested which is good enough for this place to pass verdict.

Don't need to ride it to read it :D

They are crap... 3 metres worth, independantly tested which is good enough for this place to pass verdict.

The new bike is great. I've owned an 1150, 1200GS, twin cam and LC GSAs. Had the 1250 for half a day recently....felt just like my 2016 GSA but better. Motor is sweet and makes the bike feel nimbler, gearbox is smooth, brakes have more bite.

Yeah I would agree with that. There is an element of bravery involved with new motorcycles.

I saw how badly it affected Honda VFR1200 owners (both mechanically and financially) when they first came out, and in some ways even the Africa Twin when Honda (yet again) bombed the RRP prices by -£3500.

Yes I purchased both these Hondas and I will never purchase another one. I lost 50% on my 1 year old Africa Twin I just wish I had bought it on PCP and I would have thrown the keys at them.

Have a read of this month's RIDE several stops from 70 mph and the 1250 is better by .5M lol

Have a read of this month's RIDE several stops from 70 mph and the 1250 is better by .5M lol

Brembo's are shit. Long live Hayes....

I trust that was tongue in cheek as the test in question was hardly definitive. It astounds me that anyone would try and pass judgement on e.g. a bike's brakes based on ONE SINGLE actual stop test. The resulting 5% (approx) difference could easily have been due to rider, tyres, road surface, brake pads etc. Any of those could cause far more than the difference recorded at that test and only trying it once is hardly scientific. It was ok as a rough test by journalists to compare the 2 bikes, but to slag off one based on that simplistic experiment is, well let's say, not smart.

It does rather highlight how people have been hoodwinked into thinking Brembo is so wonderful. Hey, it's just a name. They cast aluminium alloys into the shape of a calliper and because of the name they are attributed with magical properties. Get real. Other manufacturers are just as capable of casting that same alloy into virtually identical shapes and guess what, they work just as well. Pads? Ah, now we're talking variable performance as in potentially HUGE difference. But no-one takes any notice of that when reading stuff like that test.

The only way to compare the Brembo and new Hayes callipers is to swap them on the same bike, with same discs, same pads and ridden by same rider on exactly the same stretch of tarmac. Only then might you obtain some reliable data and I'll bet it would show no difference that could be attributable to the calliper change.

Assuming the piston sizes of each are the same (I note that no-one has even mentioned that), if you're so worried about the Hayes callipers, swap them for the Brembos. Same basic mounting so I bet they'd swap in about half an hour. I very much doubt you'll be achieving any 5% reduction in braking distance. If you want the Brembo name on your callipers, just to look cool, hey go for it. But don't expect miracles with braking performance.

I trust that was tongue in cheek as the test in question was hardly definitive. It astounds me that anyone would try and pass judgement on e.g. a bike's brakes based on ONE SINGLE actual stop test. The resulting 5% (approx) difference could easily have been due to rider, tyres, road surface, brake pads etc. Any of those could cause far more than the difference recorded at that test and only trying it once is hardly scientific. It was ok as a rough test by journalists to compare the 2 bikes, but to slag off one based on that simplistic experiment is, well let's say, not smart.

It does rather highlight how people have been hoodwinked into thinking Brembo is so wonderful. Hey, it's just a name. They cast aluminium alloys into the shape of a calliper and because of the name they are attributed with magical properties. Get real. Other manufacturers are just as capable of casting that same alloy into virtually identical shapes and guess what, they work just as well. Pads? Ah, now we're talking variable performance as in potentially HUGE difference. But no-one takes any notice of that when reading stuff like that test.

The only way to compare the Brembo and new Hayes callipers is to swap them on the same bike, with same discs, same pads and ridden by same rider on exactly the same stretch of tarmac. Only then might you obtain some reliable data and I'll bet it would show no difference that could be attributable to the calliper change.

Assuming the piston sizes of each are the same (I note that no-one has even mentioned that), if you're so worried about the Hayes callipers, swap them for the Brembos. Same basic mounting so I bet they'd swap in about half an hour. I very much doubt you'll be achieving any 5% reduction in braking distance. If you want the Brembo name on your callipers, just to look cool, hey go for it. But don't expect miracles with braking performance.

The Hayes brakes on the 1250 GS I rode a couple of weeks ago weren’t as good as the Brembos on any of my LC GS’s. I did a number of stop tests, and they just weren’t as good.

The Hayes brakes on the 1250 GS I rode a couple of weeks ago weren’t as good as the Brembos on any of my LC GS’s. I did a number of stop tests, and they just weren’t as good.

Apart from the fact it’s more work to get the pads out I find the Hayes callipers every bit as good as the Brembo’s I had on my 3 1200gs LC’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well the road test in MSL said the brakes were superb on the 1250 and no different to the Brembo brakes on the 1200. I find it hard to believe BMW would put inferior brakes on their bikes. The brakes on the 1250RT I test rode, felt no different to the brakes on my RT1200, but I'm no test rider, the brakes worked and the bike stopped.

You have to be a bit more specific. Saying they just weren't as good could be down to the psychological factor of (mistakenly) believing Brembos are always superior.

I do have Brembos on several bikes and in some cases have changed to them from the OEM (Tokico) just for the bling factor as I think Brembo make nice looking callipers and they suited what I was trying to achieve with the bike, but I can state quite categorically that they did NOT improve the brakes one iota. In those cases, the piston sizes were identical. If you start changing the piston sizes then the feel and power of the brakes WILL change, but that's just down to basic hydraulics. Many people swap to Brembos and pay no attention whatsoever to the piston sizes of the Master Cylinder and/or callipers and then when the result feels different they claim it's an improvement, although when considering the piston sizes they have chosen, it is clear they have made the brakes worse. But having spent all that money, who'd admit it was a mistake and in any case, the likely fitment of new pads could well be masking the degradation in performance anyway.

Like I said, I use Brembos and am not knocking them as such, but it is important to understand they are not the panacea many seem to believe. Nissin and Tokico (to name 2 popular OEM manufacturers) also make great brakes and all manufacturers are capable of producing relatively shit brakes when supplying to a bike manufacturer at a low price point. Where Brembo win out is that they also supply to the aftermarket trade, which Nissin and Tokico do not, hence when brakes need to be sourced, Brembo is the obvious choice as they can be easily obtained while the other 2 cannot. But that is down to Brembos marketing and sales strategy and nothing to do with their product's quality.

Me, I'd prefer Brembos on the front of any new 1250 I buy, but I wouldn't be kidding myself they would perform any better. The only way to tell is to perform a strict test as I outlined in a previous post. If you really don't like the Hayes for whatever reason and pine for Brembos, hey go fit them. I'll bet the 1200's callipers would be the same fitment and piston size, so a very simple swap.

In fact, it would be interesting to compare the piston sizes. Anyone got that data to hand?

One more thing. The ultimate braking performance nowadays is totally down to the ABS system. ANY modern opposed piston front brake calliper is more than capable of locking the front wheel (or flipping the bike), so in fact which calliper you use is completely irrelevant. How the ABS operates will determine the ultimate stopping distance, so no point harping on about that Magazine test as it provided no real information about the callipers' capabilities. Eliminate ABS from the equation and it's down to the rider. Brake feel however is a different kettle of fish and largely down to the pad with some effect from the disc material that in fact should be matched to the pad (or vice versa). If anyone wants to know how the Department of Transport nearly mandated wet weather braking performance regulations back in the early 80s, I can help there as I was Honda's representative on the Technical Committee of the Motorcycle Association when we were tasked with heading off that particular regulatory nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom