Want a laptop, where from though?

Pentiums are generally accepted to be ‘slightly’ faster, but AMD probably offer better value for money. You won’t notice any difference in performance, I don’t think.

Similarly, my new Lenovo Thinkpad has an Intel Xeon processor, but I would be kidding myself if I thought I could notice a difference against a Pentium.........

Pentiums are generally accepted to be ‘slightly’ faster, but AMD probably offer better value for money. You won’t notice any difference in performance, I don’t think.

Similarly, my new Lenovo Thinkpad has an Intel Xeon processor, but I would be kidding myself if I thought I could notice a difference against a Pentium.........

Good info - thanks

I've been used to pentium processors but notice that the Lenovo recommended by Wessie has an AMD one - is one better than the other or is the speed what I should look at rather than the name?

I could not find anything online to put me off the A9 - to give you an idea of what you are getting, this machine was manufactured in China in 2011. I am assuming the hard drive was added before shipping with the latest Windows releases as it did not do many updates. We did this with products when I was in industry, add the HDD with latest updates just before shipping. In 2011 it was a cutting edge machine, selling for £1500 according to reviews of similar machines I could find. Just imagine you are buying the Dacia equivalent of laptops.

Have a look at the Dell Outlet on the Dell web site. Fully refurbed PCs with a Dell warranty

A great tip this. Quality refurbished kit with a full warranty, good prices, free delivery and a first time buyer can get 10% off all machines.
Looks like a purchase will shortly be made :thumb2

Thank's to all respondents by the way :thumb2

A great tip this. Quality refurbished kit with a full warranty, good prices, free delivery and a first time buyer can get 10% off all machines.
Looks like a purchase will shortly be made :thumb2

Thank's to all respondents by the way :thumb2

Update, the discount is actually 15% via a voucher i had missed so, even better :)

Whatever laptop you get, make sure it a Solid State Drive. The difference between that and a standard hard drive is astonishing.

Do a bit of research on the model you want and then see if you can get a deal on the bay.

I got a high end HP which was £1200 new, 3 months old with the balance of the warranty as the receipt was supplied and it had been bought for a trade show - so they said - but got it for £850 and it's like new - it's still being advertised on the TV it's so new.

This may be pricier than you want, but it's still true of lower models, certainly worth keeping an eye on.

James

Once you've decided, if want to :

• go to a shop to buy it,
  • stand around for 15 minutes trying to attract someone's attention,
  • finally request it, and watch someone head off to the store room to find it, only to still be AWOL 20 minutes later,
  • find another idiot to discover what happened to the first idiot,
  • eventually get your box and join the checkout queue with a few customers, but only one assistant who's dealing with a complex return,
  • eventually get to the desk and spend a lot of time being told that as it's a business purchase, you need to enter lots of details on their site so you can get a VAT receipt,
  • realise that it's a complete scam, they just want to e-mail you for the rest of your life, so tell them to forget it, and just get a normal till receipt (which of course has a VAT number...),

... then just try PC World. :thumb2

• finally request it, and watch someone head off to the store room to find it, only to still be AWOL 20 minutes later,
  • eventually get your box and join the checkout queue with a few customers, but only one assistant who's dealing with a complex return,
  • eventually get to the desk and spend a lot of time being told that as it's a business purchase, you need to enter lots of details on their site so you can get a VAT receipt,
  • realise that it's a complete scam, they just want to e-mail you for the rest of your life, so tell them to forget it, and just get a normal till receipt (which of course has a VAT number...),

We pretty much only have PC World/Currys round here so not a lot of choice but, i'm not at all keen on them.

Rght then, i have taken a very different tack to address the request from the Mrs. for a laptop.

I have mentioned above that i have a Lenovo Ideapad of a good spec. which i have had for a few years; Due to me retiring my last
(v. old) Dell desktop it has, for the last couple of years spent all it's time sat at the back of my desk next to it's monitor with all the
peripherals plugged into it acting as a desktop PC. Having looked at what's available on the Dell Outlet site i was impressed at the
re-furbished desktop systems to be had for comparatively little money, especially with the 15% discount which, got me thinking.
I get a half decent desktop system for my office which would then release the laptop back into general use by the wife which would
be a lot less money than a decent spec laptop. So that's what i have done. I have ordered an Inspiron 3670 of decent spec. and that's
come in at the very acceptable price of £260 delivered. The same kit at Currys is £449 and at John Lewis £380 so quite a bargain :thumb2

Anyhow the deed is done and it's on it's way to me now :bounce1

Need to buy the Mrs. summat else now but, i have got her a really posh bottle of Gin for starters :thumb2

Thank's for all the comments :thumb2

Nothing to do with the OP original question.
I have taken to buying my Apple products from Stormfront - they give a 3yr guarantee on all their stuff .... much better than the Apple offering, an d its no extra.

I've walked out of Curry's/PC World rather than jump through their hoops to get a VAT receipt.

Nothing to do with the OP original question.
I have taken to buying my Apple products from Stormfront - they give a 3yr guarantee on all their stuff .... much better than the Apple offering, an d its no extra.
Obviously not an apple warranty and it's probably all good but the fine print might be worth a look.

Dell have a refurbished site with full 12 months warranty if you dont mind looking through the specs and booking that day as stocks go pretty fast
https://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdfh1/campaigns/splitter

What price range are you looking at and anything particular going to be done with it ?
If you take a look at my previous post Andi you will see I have done exactly that and have a refurbished desktop PC on it's way to me from the Dell Outlet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom