Sleeping bike.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2010 FLHTCU stored in the garage after shipping back from the Middle East a while back in 2016. All worked fine when starting up and running.
During last couple of years, I changed to UK spec (bought US mph speedo) and cleaned up some wiring connections of sand and added a bit of dielectric grease to terminals.
Alarm works well and able to disarm using key fob and all indicators flash.

Problem later was it would not start on the button. Alarm still works OK and the red alarm icon flashes to say it is armed in the speedo clock. With key fob and switched to IGN on, there is no power to the clocks or idiot lights except that the mileage LCD shows up.

Music system works OK.

Could the problem be with the security feature?

I did change the battery for a Motobatt one.

Bike at present with an indie HD mechanic in the Wirral.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

If the security system is a "Spyball" that vcould be the problem.
I know of a few that were ripped out many years ago because of starting issues (mine was one).

Did you put the dielectric grease on before or after connecting things up ?

Being dielectric, it's non conductive.......

does not start ?
do you mean does not crank the starter motor ?
does fuel pump run ?
if it cranks ,does it spark ?

Totally dead at the button.
I remember once in Saudi, this bike refused to start along with a few others due to SCADA wireless transmitter systems controlling the wellheads.

Totally dead at the button.
I remember once in Saudi, this bike refused to start along with a few others due to SCADA wireless transmitter systems controlling the wellheads.

I'm still suspecting the security system is locking out the ignition circuit. It doesn't affect your stereo.

Mine has a motobatt fitted as well and I also had an alarm issue recently. The motobatt terminal voltage is pretty low compared to other batteries. Fully charged is 12.7 to 12.85 terminal volts http://www.motobatt.com/Installation-Guide&p=62&b=59 apparently the Harley alarm internal battery doesn’t charge when the voltage is below 12.7v. I have to keep mine topped up with a trickle charger if I’m not using the bike otherwise I get alarm issues after a week or so.

I used to have starting issues with a MotoBatt - I sucked it up and paid £170 for a Genuine HD Battery - it’s been fine ever since..

No Alarm though....

I used to have starting issues with a MotoBatt - I sucked it up and paid £170 for a Genuine HD Battery - it’s been fine ever since..

No Alarm though....

I've used Motobatt batteries for years and no problems - I did remove my Spyball alarm though many years ago.

This is my third attempt at telling the OP that the problem, I believe, lies in his / her alarm system.

I've used Motobatt batteries for years and no problems - I did remove my Spyball alarm though many years ago.

This is my third attempt at telling the OP that the problem, I believe, lies in his / her alarm system.

The OP noted your first attempted comment concerning security alarm and agrees .

I've had Motobatt batteries on my last two HD's. Never had a problem, despite housing them unused for up to
three months during the winter months in my unheated garage. Just ordered one for my GS.

Result is;
It is coming back home to the garage by transit.
At least for now, I can amuse myself with it. Get the HD T-shirts out again, see if the leather jacket still fits, fit the accessories bought years ago and think of hot summers.

Back
Top Bottom