Advice - Scotland?

Not much of a lap to do and well away from the food sources. Lol

Due to Lorraine's back being fecked, we had to go in the car to Scottishland, rather than on the bike.

We stayed in a lodge just outside Spean Bridge.

It was a good location for touring around the West Coast, and you can also get the train to Mallaig if you don't want to drive.

Regarding Fort William, it had decidedly gone down the nick since the last time I went there many years previously, and likewise Inverness had too.
There was a definate sense of being well past their best, and rather run down.
Both were more like Birkenhead, with many East European accents, dossers and piss heads loitering around.
Mind you, the latter could simply have been your average Scottishlanders indulging in the national pastime. :augie

The scenery is great but ultimately boringly repetitive (I much prefer the variety found in Wales) and there's a lot of "nothing".
Hopefully you'll have a good time but I wouldn't go back there again.

Both were more like Birkenhead, with many East European accents, dossers and piss heads loitering around.
Mind you, the latter could simply have been your average Scottishlanders indulging in the national pastime.

The scenery is great but ultimately boringly repetitive (I much prefer the variety found in Wales) and there's a lot of "nothing".
Hopefully you'll have a good time but I wouldn't go back there again.

Well apart from the casual racism, SERIOUSLY???

There was a definate [sic] sense of being well past their best, and rather run down.

*definite*

Etymology; from Latin definitus "defined, bounded, limited," past participle of definire "to limit, determine, explain," from de "completely" (see de-) + finire "to bound, limit," from finis "boundary, end" (see finish (v.)). From 1727 in grammar, "defining, limiting." Definite means "defined, clear, precise, unmistakable."

HTH

*definite*

Etymology; from Latin definitus "defined, bounded, limited," past participle of definire "to limit, determine, explain," from de "completely" (see de-) + finire "to bound, limit," from finis "boundary, end" (see finish (v.)). From 1727 in grammar, "defining, limiting." Definite means "defined, clear, precise, unmistakable."

HTH

Thanks, Schtum. :rolleyes:

I like correcting grammatical errors as much you appear to.
However, I can't help wondering if you've ever made a post that did anything other than that. :augie

Thanks, Schtum. :rolleyes:

I like correcting grammatical errors as much you appear to.
However, I can't help wondering if you've ever made a post that did anything other than that. :augie

I think that's called projection, old Bean. I don't like correcting them at all but everyone has a cross to bear.

I think that's called projection, old Bean. I don't like correcting them at all but everyone has a cross to bear.

Aye.

Well, my old ginger chum, you keep on maintaining standards.

You must have agreed with everything else I said, else you'd have crossed swords with other matters. :D

You must have agreed with everything else I said, else you'd have crossed swords with other matters. :D

Not entirely and no crossing of swords. I'm merely being my usual helpful self. I'm not a big fan of The Fort and as for it being run down, you have to remember how much Westminster steals from our economy.
In fact much of the state of the Highlands today is the result of greed and mismanagement by absent, foreign landlords.

Fort Bill was always over-rated, nothing much there at all apart from rain.

Inverness is OK, a nice setting on the river with a decent pub (Castle) and some nice restaurants but at the end of the day, it's another medium sized (by UK standards) town centre with large national retailers and the added bonus of McTourist guff. But it does make a decent base for exploring as you can strike out in any direction. Even the Far North is do-able in 2 1/2 hours quite comfortably.

If you can't be arsed to travel all the way up to Inverness, then a nip across the border to Dumfries and Galloway is definitely worthwhile It's completely different to the Highlands and has enough to do if you're an outdoors type person. Plus you can follow the border road over to Hawick, Jedburgh etc.

Whatever you do, don't spend a few days in somewhere like Spean Bridge and then claim to have 'seen' Scotland.......

Not entirely and no crossing of swords. I'm merely being my usual helpful self. I'm not a big fan of The Fort and as for it being run down, you have to remember how much Westminster steals from our economy.
In fact much of the state of the Highlands today is the result of greed and mismanagement by absent, foreign landlords.

The man is asking advice about a holiday...not the place to peddle childish lies.

If you are car bound then the west coast is probably the best.

Fort Augustus has plenty of places to stay, restaurants, easy access to virtually everywhere and a great place to while away an hour or 2 watching the boats in the locks.

Depends where you want to go and what you want to do. Somewhere like Pitlochry or Grantown on Spey would probably be good bases, plenty places to eat, drink and sleep and easy access to lots of good areas. Get a self catering place in either area and roam from there

And you don't have to discuss politics if you don't want to!

Fort Bill was always over-rated, nothing much there at all apart from rain.

Inverness is OK, a nice setting on the river with a decent pub (Castle) and some nice restaurants but at the end of the day, it's another medium sized (by UK standards) town centre with large national retailers and the added bonus of McTourist guff. But it does make a decent base for exploring as you can strike out in any direction. Even the Far North is do-able in 2 1/2 hours quite comfortably.

If you can't be arsed to travel all the way up to Inverness, then a nip across the border to Dumfries and Galloway is definitely worthwhile It's completely different to the Highlands and has enough to do if you're an outdoors type person. Plus you can follow the border road over to Hawick, Jedburgh etc.

Whatever you do, don't spend a few days in somewhere like Spean Bridge and then claim to have 'seen' Scotland.......

Wot he said - Inverness is a great base and if you book early enough there is a huge range of accommodation.

But I would think Inverness is OK, I live here. In terms of evening entertainment things are definitely on the up - there are some great places to eat and have an ale - MacGregors on Academy street (owned by one of Blazing Fiddles so loads of impromptu sessions), Hootennanny has become an institution due to it's great atmosphere and dedication to traditional music. The Black Isle bar had about 15 different ales (some cask, some keg) when I was there earlier in the week, and the Cairngorm Brewery are working hard to completely re do the old Rose Street foundry building - a project which we have high hopes for. There's a great little whisky bar near the Victorian Market which I'm quite fond of too.

Loads of restaurants to choose from, but book early at weekends because the poor impoverished locals have developed a taste for great food, even if for the rest of the week they have to sit outside Weatherspoons begging for loose change to pay for it all.

If you want to see what utter bullshit that bloke from the Wirral is spouting, take a look at the North Coast 500 website, even if you're not interested in doing it, the pictures will give you an idea of what it's like up here. I could go on (and on) but really, look at the figures - Scotland is a great tourist destination and is seeing numbers rise, despite a lack of infrastructure spending. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-44902282

I've been exploring this land for 26 years on my bike, and I'm still not bored...

Back
Top Bottom