Advice - Scotland?

RigsVille

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife has always wanted to visit Scotland and so, next April/May I want to take her there for a weeks holiday, unfortunately due to her being unable to get on a bike these days due to her spinal disease the trip will be in a car.

Can anyone recommend an area of Scotland to visit? to act as our base camp?

What's your favourite place to stay? visit? do?

Thanks for your help.

Glenelg's my favourite place it's a bit remote but does offer a car ferry which fits around 4 cars over to Skye. If you get a cottage overlooking the sound you'll often see porpoises seals and the like and a bit further up the road otters. It also has a pub and a village shop.

try asking yodagoat he runs tours around Scotland.

In Late April May the weather can be really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitlochry is ideally placed for various full day tours, and generally a nice place in itself.

Fantastic people and superb Hotel run by GS owners who will go out of their way to ensure you have a great stay. Its very close to some excellent roads and views plus great drives and rides https://www.buccleucharmshotel.com/

Fort William is an obvious base, as Loch Ness and Skye are easily reached. Plus it has the amenities of the largest town in the area, though that might be a negative. Can get really busy around the ISDT (or whatever it's now called). April / May or September would be my favourite times, weather is often very good, and the midges are still hibernating or have been hit by the first frosts.

Do't ignore the east coast, I think that it's not as overtly touristy as the west coast can be, so can be a quieter area, and there's the North East 250 for touristy ideas: https://www.northeast250.com/

Fort William is only good for chasing the mobile chippy around until you find it after coming down from Ben Nevis on a bitterly cold winter evening. Apart from that it’s best by passed :rob

Fort William is only good for chasing the mobile chippy around until you find it after coming down from Ben Nevis on a bitterly cold winter evening. Apart from that it’s best by passed :rob

It’s not that bad. Have been in far worse places.

My wife has always wanted to visit Scotland and so, next April/May I want to take her there for a weeks holiday, unfortunately due to her being unable to get on a bike these days due to her spinal disease the trip will be in a car.

Can anyone recommend an area of Scotland to visit? to act as our base camp?

What's your favourite place to stay? visit? do?

Thanks for your help.

What is it you want to do? Go and visit stuff or drive about? What is it your interested in?

My mum's last trip away was to Scotland. She did not like to travel too far in a day so we stopped in Haltwhistle on the way up & back down. This allowed plenty of time to stop to break the journey from/to Herefordshire.

We stayed in a small cottage, east of Inverness that had views across the Moray Firth to the Black Isle. She was happy to sit in the garden with binoculars watching the seals and birds. She got very excited when a dolphin pod came along, trapping a shoal of fish on the ebbing tide. A cottage with good scenery is a nicer place to be than a hotel if you just want a day doing not much.

The location meant we could do day trips as far as Applecross. We also toured around the Cairngorms and along the coast to Findhorn.

It’s not that bad. Have been in far worse places.

So have I but I normally never return and Fort William has seen me driving around hoping I’d find that chip van more times than I can honestly remember :beerjug:

I would also suggest you consider the Cairngorms so much to see and do, I have stayed in a few places, Ballater is good also Braemar. you might see the Queen whilst you are up there

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 213

Back
Top Bottom