Rough running issue - Still not bloody sorted.....

Spray a little wd 40 or similar around each joint, starting around throttle body.

If there's any leak, the wd40 will make it pick and run smoother for a short while.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If it ran better with additive then this would tend to exclude air leaks (if the additive was increasing mixture richness it should have lasted for the tank contents range not 30 miles)

So assuming coils are good and plugs should be, seems to suggest lambda's. Worth checking the plugs for colour which may push investigation one way or another

Spray a little wd 40 or similar around each joint, starting around throttle body.

If there's any leak, the wd40 will make it pick and run smoother for a short while.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Also, You may see the WD getting sucked through the leaky bit

you NEED to see what the live data is saying If it shows that there is a huge variance between the two lamda probes then one is buggered

Intake air temps, Voltages, oil temps etc etc will aid you to diagnose a possible fault

It may just be the poor bugger is running too weak like sooooo many others and a booster plug or the other on may help! (Or dare I say it get the f***** HillTopped :aidan _)

you NEED to see what the live data is saying If it shows that there is a huge variance between the two lamda probes then one is buggered

Intake air temps, Voltages, oil temps etc etc will aid you to diagnose a possible fault

It may just be the poor bugger is running too weak like sooooo many others and a booster plug or the other on may help! (Or dare I say it get the f***** HillTopped :aidan _)

Brilliant,

so put the GS911 on and look at the values??? Dont think air leak but the lambda's look a good possibility which I shall check first. Only done just short of 1000 miles between the latest two plug changes but looking at them will also give an idea.

Many thanks.

I think you can unplug the lambda sensors and run as a test...

If he is running a power commander v the lambda sensors will already be unplugged, just fitted a PC to mine and disconnected the lambda sensors as a part of the install.

Sorry just re read the OP’s post and it was a power jet he installed, so lambda sensors still installed.

Update.....

So Lambdas now changed and ran OK for a bit but no real change....Final port of call for me was the TPS as advised by Santa, looked at the instructions on the link provided and followed all the instructions.

No mechanical damage that was visible internally, all seals in place.

Put the thing back together and found the following:

Clockwise readings between terminals were all within a couple of digits of the reference figures on the supplied pdf link.

Anti clockwise readings as follows:

Terminals:-----Reference figures:--------Actual figures:

1+2------------0.9-------------------------0.978
1+3------------0.9-------------------------4.59
2+3------------1.5------------------------ 5.57

Not an expert but with figures that far out I am hoping that this is indeed the issue with my bike, I have therefore purchased one off of Motorworks to be delivered next week. I think I will test the item first then maybe strip it to have a look inside and a clean before putting on my bike.

I will let you all know how I get on in case someone else finds this useful.

Many thanks to all thus far. :thumb

Faulty TPS Unit

So Lambdas now changed and ran OK for a bit but no real change....Final port of call for me was the TPS as advised by Santa, looked at the instructions on the link provided and followed all the instructions.

No mechanical damage that was visible internally, all seals in place.

Put the thing back together and found the following:

Clockwise readings between terminals were all within a couple of digits of the reference figures on the supplied pdf link.

1+2------------0.9-------------------------0.978
1+3------------0.9-------------------------4.59
2+3------------1.5------------------------ 5.57

Not an expert but with figures that far out I am hoping that this is indeed the issue with my bike, I have therefore purchased one off of Motorworks to be delivered next week. I think I will test the item first then maybe strip it to have a look inside and a clean before putting on my bike.

I will let you all know how I get on in case someone else finds this useful.

Many thanks to all thus far. :thumb

Hey All,

Received my used TPS from the supplier today and thought I would check the figures before use, interesting figures below:

1+2------------0.9-------------------------0.977
1+3------------0.9-------------------------4.87
2+3------------1.5------------------------ 5.84

So with regard to the figures on my original unit there is no real change between the two units. Another point to note is that on both the TPS units the test between contacts 1 & 3 does NOT generate any kind of change in values at all. e.g. no movement on the meters reading scale as the dial on the TPS unit is moved clockwise then anti clockwise through its entire range (both units).

This would suggest that either both units are faulty or the figures/ information given in the pdf is incorrect.

Is anyone able to confirm the validity of the values within the pdf?

Many thanks.

When you say “the PDF” I assume you mean the instructions for repairing the TPS. If so there are a three sets of readings and iirc the important thing is the last bit - that readings change steadily and uniformly over the whole range of movement rather than any absolute values.

I had an issue with rough running of my 2011 gsa last year - much as you described plus not wanting to tickover. A very careful look at the real time values showed some very small and intermittent variances on the TPS. I bought one of the cheap eBay items for £35ish. Fitting it is real easy and on my bike I had to then do a throttle balance. The bike was transformed. Thread link to follow. For £35ish it’s got to be worth giving a new tps a go. Don’t motorworks do 1 month sale or return? Send the one you bought from motorworks back if the eBay one cures your bike / if it doesn’t sell the eBay one (although I don’t then know what the problem might be).

Exit. Here you are http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/480893-Random-idle-balance-Erratic-idle-amp-rough-running

Last edited:
So with regard to the figures on my original unit there is no real change between the two units. Another point to note is that on both the TPS units the test between contacts 1 & 3 does NOT generate any kind of change in values at all. e.g. no movement on the meters reading scale as the dial on the TPS unit is moved clockwise then anti clockwise through its entire range (both units).

This makes sense.
The TPS is a potentiometer, where #1 and #3 represent each end of the resistor surface and #2 is the wiper, thus moving the throttle the wiper will move, and the reading between #1 and 2 as well as between #2 and #3 will change, while reading between #1 and #3 will not be affected by the wiper movement.

If there is a TPS issue, the real time values of the signal from TPS ought to different between left and right cylinder.

I suspect (but have not checked) that these values should be available by using the GS911. When running the engine, the values between the two TPS sensors ought to be fairly equal throughout the entire throttle range.

Back
Top Bottom