1150GSA - headlights - LED, HID, What's the latest?

Any reason why these wouldn't be a more suitable option? No fan, etc, to accommodate, should fit inside the existing caps and should put the light source in the same place as a standard H1 filament...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-H7-H3-CSP-Seoul-12-Chip-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Canbus-Error-Free-White/273228911502?var=572521630330

They'll fit... but they're only 1500 lumens... the ones with the heatsinks are WAY brighter - the ones I bought are 8000 LM for example. I think a HID bulb is about 3000LM so those ones you've linked to are possibly not so bright?

A standard Halogen bulb is (I think) about 3-400LM, so even those 'lower brightness' ones might be worth a try though!

The final verdict now it’s got main and dipped beam LED bulbs fitted is that it’s a massive improvement and I’m very happy with the end result. For a touch over £20 if you forget the ones bought in error and well under an hour in total to fit both it’s money well spent. I’ll sort out some rubber boots to cover the areas I cut off the hard plastic original dust covers but still leave the fans open to draw air in and take a couple of spare halogens with me when I head for Denmark next week but otherwise it’s job done.

For anyone else who’s considering changing then give it a go. If you don’t have a dremel but live close enough to ride over to my place I’ll happily give you a hand and even supply tea (or home brew) while we do the job :beerjug:

I’ve just done 5 miles on the unlit roads around our village and the verdict is....

I’m not convinced. Main beam is certainly brighter and it lights up the road well but there’s not really any ‘throw’ to it so all it really does is spread light inside the same distance as dipped beam.

I reckon I’ll try fitting an LED in the dipped beam to see what I get from it but I’ll order a rubber boot in case I go back to a halogen bulb and need to waterproof things a bit better.

Photos are good so here we go with one of the dipped beam with a new halogen bulb.

2fc06958c5ae7e9f4e017ddd72703b28.jpg

and one with the LED main beam.

8ef6392b0d3beb7e1590354e1127d99a.jpg

Both taken about 12’ back from the fence.

Think of where the extra light thrown up outside the beam pattern is ending up................. in the eyes of oncoming drivers ?

I parked the bike on the road outside my house and walked up the road to see if they appeared too bright and would dazzle drivers on dipped beam and decided they’d be ok then tonight I had 5 or 6 cars come towards me and none of them flashed me which normally I’d expect if they were having their retinas burned. I also sat on the bike behind my wifes car to see if the light was high in the rear view mirror and again, it looked ok.

Main beam is a different story but I don’t ride on main beam behind cars or when cars are coming towards me.

Think of where the extra light thrown up outside the beam pattern is ending up................. in the eyes of oncoming drivers ?
I was worried about this but I haven't been flashed once on my RT since changing to LED. I think it helps I went for decent ones where the LED is in the same spot where the light is emmited from a halogen bulb.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I’ve added a couple of these with the fans on my 1150GSa and they make a huge difference. I’ve left the fans open for now so would welcome any budding engineers solutions to making them as waterproof as possible.

Right... well that was a piece of cake!

So I managed to gently prize the wires from the OEM dust cap...

led1.jpg

Then the stock connector just pops off the 2 wires from the main loom...

led2.jpg

Allowing you to use the dust cap wires as a bridge connection between the LED wires and the main loom...

led3.jpg

So, just need to wrap the connections in electrical tape, cable-tie it neatly out of the way and fit a generic rubber dust cap over or around the LED heatsink.

All for £20.

And for now, I've reverted it all to stock in about 3 minutes.

What’s keeping the bulb holders in place now the stock dust caps are off? One of mine felt as if it would never fall out no matter what I did but the other one dropped out when I was wriggling the halogen bulb out so I wouldn’t trust them without something behind them.

But teh buld clips.

The clips holding the bulb in on mine are rock solid when properly fitted - you sure you didn’t just fit them without the clips properly securing?

The clips are fine, it’s the holder that the clips are part of that can come out. It’s probably a case of one of mine being a bit knackered or a previous owner having prised it out for reasons unknown but I decided it needed a couple of spots of Loctite where it sits in the reflector.

Oh I see why you mean - I didn’t even think of that - mine are solid so I assumed they were kinda permanently attached

I’d best be sure!

I may buy a pair of second-hand caps to fettle with

So some dust caps arrived from China - they’re perfect

The inside of my light assembly is solid, doesnt look like anything will fall out?

I’ll post pics when I get time, but essentially a slit cut in the back of the rubber dust cap for the LED’s wires to poke out, and it slips right on the stock housing and stays there

I’ll get it done, post pics and share the link to the dust caps I bought

Back
Top Bottom