Shoei X-Spirit on GSA

Pete Rock

Reaction score
Hello,

I am curious as to if anyone rides a Shoei X-Spirit 3 on a GS. I'm about to buy a new helmet, and my most valued characteristics are silence, lightweight, and aerodynamic stability (no buffeting and less drag).

All I read about the Shoei X-Spirit 3 tell me it is very quiet for a race helmet, that it is very comfy, very well vented, and impressively stable on situations in which you would normally feel a lot of buffeting. However, being a race helmet I wonder if it would be suited to an upright riding position like on my GSA LC.

Any advice or opinions?

I have just tested a Schuberth E1 and hated it, the peak vibrated like hell and acted like a sail, I sent it back. Now I'm contemplating a Shoei since my motocross helmet fits me very well, and I'm keen on having the same fit on a road helmet.

The Neotec 2 is tempting but I would maybe enjoy a closed lighter lid for frequent 300km motorway rides. GTAir is nice but I'm wondering about the X-Spirit's lighter weight and better aerodynamics.

Basically, I realized I'm going to have to have two helmets, and am now looking for the best one for motorway riding.

EDIT: Iam 5 years into my C3Pro, and the reason I'm looking for another lid is that I don't like how the interior slacked and is not loose. Smaller size is too small, thought.

There are so many variables involved here, it is almost impossible to answer your question. Bike/screen/clothing/torso size/arm length/riding posture all impact. Essentially though, whilst race helmets are light, they are usually noisy & draughty in my experience - after all , they are made for the racers needs, not the touring motorcyclist.

Currently I run with a Shoei NXR, which I find almost perfect. I would consider the GT Air next time though, for the benefit of the flip down visor. Neither hit the top SNELL ratings though, if that matters to you.

THe X-Spirit is a race helmet, so designed for comfort and view for a head down (a la sports-bike riding) - it is also designed for high airflow through the helmet, which is usually accompanied by noise.

A well vented helmet, but not the best option for a sit-up bike like the GSA

I have the X-spirit 3 however theres so many differences to compare, rider height, upper body size, screen etc etc, on a gs my neotec 3 is better, so the only thing i can add is the spirit 3 is better than the spirit 2 that i also have but the new neotec is better for me on a GS or AT.

The spirit 3 works best head down arse up as the wing/shape channels the air, it was never designed for the sit up position.

I have the X-spirit 3 however theres so many differences to compare, rider height, upper body size, screen etc etc, on a gs my neotec 3 is better, so the only thing i can add is the spirit 3 is better than the spirit 2 that i also have but the new neotec is better for me on a GS or AT.

The spirit 3 works best head down arse up as the wing/shape channels the air, it was never designed for the sit up position.
Neotec 3.......

Is your real name Marty McFly??

Sent from a U11

GT-Air 2 out in a couple of months.

Slated for March 2019. The make-over is so subtle I couldn't tell the difference when we checked out the Shoei stand at the NEC. Some fresh graphics though, if you don't want plain, & a modest price hike.

Slated for March 2019. The make-over is so subtle I couldn't tell the difference when we checked out the Shoei stand at the NEC. Some fresh graphics though, if you don't want plain, & a modest price hike.
The Black/Yellow graphic looks tasty and the ability to integrate the comms would make it a winner for me (as long as it felt good on the noggin)

Sent from a U11

I use an X Spirit 3 on a GSA, it seems quiet enough for me, plus it’s very well ventilated for summer riding. I use a Neotec 2 for longer distance riding in the winter. It’s mega quiet to the extent that for me it can seem a little detached.
I’m about 6’1” and use a Givi screen for the winter, standard screen insummer.
Cheers

GT Air works well for me. Light, quiet enough with earplugs in and takes the Interphone kit well.

Make your mind up quick and buy something today at Lidsdirect.
Use BOXINGDAY code at checkout to get 25% off !

Just remember, the 2019 Shoei lids won't be available for 2/3 months. Sportsbikeshop offering much the same BTW, 35% on some older designs.

Shoei NXR makes for a better road helmet than the X Spirit 3, I use both the X Spirit 3 and the Shark Race R pro carbon daily but I tend to ride sport type bikes at high speed and therefore they are both in their element.

The NXR is more designed for sports road riding than all out racing so its more suited to the GSA.

However if I were looking for a new helmet for the GSA or similar I would probably wait for the new Shoei GT Air 2 in March

Back
Top Bottom