Thoughts on a GSA respray

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I now have a very nice GSA but it’s not my first choice of colour (black) and I want to add a slight custom feel so I’ll be adding a dark brown leather tank strap and handlebar pad and a custom-made dark brown pleated leather seat once I find someone to make it (like the brown single seat Unit Garage make for the standard GS).

So I’ll be going silver, the question is do I go for the original White Aluminium Metallic (825?) with Matt lacquer or go for something similarly coloured but with a bit more texture/metallic in it and a gloss lacquer? How practical is the matt 825 colour/finish?

I’ll be adding custom graphics st some point too

Remember you can't polish matt lacquer, otherwise it loses the mattness.....

Have a look at Tracey Dykes leather work, they are near Telford. Done loads of bikes she and hubby Andrew have done over the years for BSH.

Yeah I’m thinking a gloss coat is more practical

I’ll look up Tracey Dykes, thanks!

Vinyl wrap it.more cost effertive. U can buy detailing sprays specifically for matte finishes and shampoos too

Remember you can't polish matt lacquer, otherwise it loses the mattness.....

Have a look at Tracey Dykes leather work, they are near Telford. Done loads of bikes she and hubby Andrew have done over the years for BSH.

Got a website address? I can’t find anything on ‘The Google’ :)

(Searching for ‘dykes’ and ‘leather’ returned some colourful results!)

Beauty is in the eye...

One dude's custom job is another's ruined classic, but whoever owns the bike can do what he wants - what business is it of anyone else?

I've recently acquired a GSA tank and beak for my 1150 with the intention of re-colouring it. I'll keep the OE mandarin GS tank and beak, and once the GSA parts have been re-coloured matt anthracite I'll swap them around.

I also plan to get the engine, transmission, telelever, paralever, fork legs and wheel rims re-coloured black.

Each to his own.

Not mad about brown leather though... :augie

oh, is that what he was talking about?

As the ‘kids’ say, ‘whatever’.

As you say, each to their own. It’s my bike so I could care less about what he thinks :)

Here’s a very early mockup - I see nothing ‘offensive’ about my plans... and obviously I love it. But again, each to their own...

FDC0-B3-D6-FEC6-48-F1-B673-CA74-B8-A6-A8-F2.jpg

Got a website address? I can’t find anything on ‘The Google’ :)

(Searching for ‘dykes’ and ‘leather’ returned some colourful results!)

They go under 'custom and something-or-other' I will get her number for you and send it.

Do you do Faecesbook?

Yep, will be asking him for a quote too, thanks!

So I found the fantastic Eric at Trimmania, Wokingham - he's done a cracking job, making a new seat cover from scratch

I know it's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm well chuffed! It's basically a bigger version of my previous R nineT Scrambler :)

brown_gsa1.jpg

brown_gsa2.jpg

brown_gsa3.jpg

Very classy giving me food for thought on my own rebuild

That leatherwork appears to be great quality.

Your colour scheme hides the awkward bulky lines of the gsa tank - nice!

Very stylish job that :thumb2 Love the ‘Gloss’ finish to the fuel tank, subtle decals and the retro leather. What about some matching leather panniers too?! You could sell the metal luggage off and pay for most of the conversion :bounce1

Looks Great

I must admit, I was thinking along the lines of others on here that the scheme sounded horrible (or not to my tastes as I should rightly say). However I will admit to being very wrong, think it looks great in the metal/leather. Congratulations on doing such great job.

Back
Top Bottom