Who needs a BMW navigator.....

Always had Garmin units, and found them very good if used correctly.

Phone would be better if you could see it in bright sunlight (I have a S9 plus and it's not as good as the Garmin).

Someone also needs to develop a wireless charging bike mount in this day and age........... BMW has, but £166.00 seems a bit salty to me.

I have one of these arriving Monday, I was one of the Kickstarter backers. Keeping my cradle and will use the WunderLINQ with my iPhone and Scenic / Kurviger

https://www.blackboxembedded.com/home/wunderlinq

Me too - just tracking the delivery and also hoping for Monday. Will be used with a Oneplus One in a Givi case (I'm a tightwad). The only downside is that the Wunderlinq won't work with Copilot (yet) so may have to re-evaluate what satnav s/w to run (probably Here or Sygic).

Me too - just tracking the delivery and also hoping for Monday. Will be used with a Oneplus One in a Givi case (I'm a tightwad). The only downside is that the Wunderlinq won't work with Copilot (yet) so may have to re-evaluate what satnav s/w to run (probably Here or Sygic).

Scenic 2 is due out soon and is compatible with WunderLINQ and the whizzy wheel mate.

You can use Tomtom's MyDrive site to create, and sync, routes automatically to the app on the phone. Very easy to use.

Google maps or Waze are so easy to use in a cafe or hotel room to plan and customise routes on but I found one major drawback. In warm weather abroad the phone would just overheat and shut down.
My current solution is a tomtom 400 bought brand new & cheap as they were giving them away with Kawasaki Z1000SX and a mount I bought from a guy in Germany who makes them for the GS bar. Total cost £150

Google maps or Waze are so easy to use in a cafe or hotel room to plan and customise routes on but I found one major drawback. In warm weather abroad the phone would just overheat and shut down.
My current solution is a tomtom 400 bought brand new & cheap as they were giving them away with Kawasaki Z1000SX and a mount I bought from a guy in Germany who makes them for the GS bar. Total cost £150

Does the guy who makes the mount have a website?

I just replaced my Rider 450 with the 550 and mounted it to the bar with a BikePenR mount. Not cheap but brilliant quality

vqNcRHpIdKWEpmBCTqDq59KbB08R1LuL-EO9OzUTfKn0NdEROzRMmyFmeVUcfdz9BZNFXP9ykGyWUQYsuOHIOge2_m_K03tZxTgYhS_PvgPdEVvAX35mXIjKOhoBoKl9LvFZ44RFYX9ldB-JB5GOUaZ8Hned0GF5YnHyK1L3TC_17E3RFlD2aoUOahJShz6VGagDeCsUro2Y-bTwOtsFX4I1s-olF73ki7XBYiAozzNpCCrls_PlmdjmxGs0WdLZXC1-5nGz93Q0k8CJGdvi0eJYOyRYuAseNzRiZN9u0js3IulGON02jK6Y_S5BFeLTidG62PPNGjLJAseGRlmVnFDjH2QzUFKKPs-9BiYIQ0nV-Y05y7oSmFDkzw60CLQhD6Lu6nqLnVxCL91ndMtcKNP0334j6FyFZ9my7AKpbeuGX5mCc1q75XUWUcnbcKmDIqKRAaKhz9z0tk1isHaPsoviipXKG8shtBaXF42oYgCvuj1Ke51DXMEWBA7TLEt5nAxp6lWUyLelJ5-7qjvBdEcFgCf_w3RGFF2zmu8Jp1MVx45Og67n_jgZPr5pyRB6dZXMGUiJEsZHSKGZ9S4DOi61F0suiSk6Xvt5r8vZ22Q4v7eyvLEqtMgN14-z1UYWc-NeZXG6Q6b-jMqYhdWRsxgnL8UtM7t70LP-plYVf7bhtSaocPV2e-IHufPKfmsMOkI-pnC0WRYyzz5DG3k=w1152-h1534-no

I like my navV, when on group trips it is always me that is looked to when we need to go of piste. The ability,whilst keeping your hands on the bars, to zoom in and out at will to get an overview of the roads and keep the origional route in view is invaluable.
Mine lives on the bike, I never use the bikes speedo, I can customise the dashboard to have whatever info I want at that time.
Yes they are expensive, but second hand, no more so than people spend on mobiles.
I am a skinflint and don't spend money on phones and only have whatever is going on my contract. Swings and roundabouts.

That is my principle concern: High processor use, high screen brightness, high power throughput........

I wouldn’t risk the possibility of battery swelling (and there isn’t any spare space in a smartphone).

Might be okay if the worst that happens is a shut-down, but I wouldn’t chance it.

Scenic 2 is due out soon and is compatible with WunderLINQ and the whizzy wheel mate.

Ta for the recommendation :thumb2 The Wunderlinq devs have said they'll be talking to the Copilot devs to see if things can be done.

That is my principle concern: High processor use, high screen brightness, high power throughput........

I wouldn’t risk the possibility of battery swelling (and there isn’t any spare space in a smartphone).

Must admit the Oneplus One which is now getting on for 4 years old(?) has been used for both car and bike with no problems whatsoever with no overheating or crashes. Just done a 290 mile trip Chinon - Cherbourg in the car and it's as cool as a cucumber :) Did Roscoff - Chinon - Cherbourg over a weekend in the July heatwave on the bike with it wrapped in its Givi holder and also had no problems. Perhaps some phones are a bit marginal when it comes to battery capacity/charging ?

Car should be okay, but can get very hot on a bike in the heat.

All devices can get hot. Modern phones warn then switch off.
It usually stems when charging and full brightness in hot temps.

Off to Tenerife in Spain for a cheeky week in Sept so will see.

Someone mentioned that phones can be difficult to see in bright sunlight. The TomTom go app uses the same colour pallette as their stand alone satnav.

Just been looking at sygic as recommended in this thread and have to say it is very good and clear!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I've been using the quadlock (Samsung S8) on my speed triple and on the GS handle bar, car mount in the car, exercise strap for running, and bicycle mount on the mtb, its a brilliant product. Was considering doing this a couple of months ago.

I don't really rate the Nav 5 but I use it as a speedometer because the actual speedo is microscopic, and I have 20/20 vision :nenau

I usually just keep the trip info page up with avg cons. speed, tyre pressures etc etc.

I might look at mounting the quadlock above the Nav 5 to use it for navigation, once its not too intrusive at that eye level and once it doesn't look too cluttered.

I've been using the quadlock (Samsung S8) on my speed triple and on the GS handle bar, car mount in the car, exercise strap for running, and bicycle mount on the mtb, its a brilliant product. Was considering doing this a couple of months ago.

I don't really rate the Nav 5 but I use it as a speedometer because the actual speedo is microscopic, and I have 20/20 vision :nenau

I usually just keep the trip info page up with avg cons. speed, tyre pressures etc etc.

I might look at mounting the quadlock above the Nav 5 to use it for navigation, once its not too intrusive at that eye level and once it doesn't look too cluttered.

Yep pity Garmin have not allowed to split that screen even in Nav6 maybe coming in Nav7..............:thumb

I used TT software on a PDA with external GPS antenna for years, and found it to be very good.

When i heard they were bringing out mobile version, i downloaded both the TT nav & TT speedcamera apps.

The Nav was ok, but didnt have a strong signal lock, as having an external antenna, ( no surprise really) and would frequently loose its location.

Then would take some time to re aquire its position ...

The speedcamera app was designed to be used with any other nav system & your mobile phone

To say this was useless was an understatement - i set a speed limit in the app, 51 in a 50 - & all cameras on

Fkin useless, it would go off at any time warning me i was over speed - I wasnt , but the adjoining roads were lower limits so it it only saw

those, notthe roads i was on

Speed cameras - what speed cameras? I parked opposite a fixed Gatso and asked it for my location, the phone appp located me spot on,

My PDA nav identified the Gatso oppsite me - The phone app said no cameras in the vicinity- it never detected any cameras in the whole 2

weeks of my holiday.

I contacted TT on my return home, and they aknowledged the SW was still new and would get better in time.

Ive never used there mobile apps since .

This is an interesting thread.

A GPS is an expensive item no doubt about it. Since moving to a the 1250 there is certainly some functionality on it that I don’t require anymore. Many people rubbish the BMW Nav, however I feel if they just understood how to get the most out of it and it’s idiosyncrasies all would be good. One such example people often don’t know about is using Garmin Smartlink app to search for an address, restaurant etc and then sending that info to the BMW Nav. One more is actually a real money saver, the speed displayed on the GPS is far more accurate then the bike and I hate giving the police my money.

Back
Top Bottom