Red light on dash.

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a red light misteriously come on on my 54 plate 1200. I have had the bike from new and haven't seen this before under these circumstances.

A few days ago I put the optimate on. I do this for a couple of days every couple of weeks as the bike is rearley used these days and I have concluded that to leave the charger on perminately wrecks the battery in about a year.

This evening I noticed that the red LED light positioned just below the rubber clock setting button is 'ON' and stayed on when I disconnected the optimate and unplugged it from the bike.

Has anyone come accross this, What does it mean and do I need to start worrying about fecked ECUs etc etc????????

Val.

HAve you checked the manual - that should tell you the meaning of any warning lights.

We don’t know too much about this bike and if it has a alarm or not. But if it has and it’s a bmw one the light staying on might be telling us that the alarm activated for some reason. Also we are not told if the light goes out when the ignition is switched on or not. A lot of guess work required to solve this. JJH

The US model but I guess the meaning is the same https://www.ascycles.com/pdf/BMWRiderManuals/R1200GS/ModelCode0317_USA_R1200GS_June2007.pdf

956e2cef2d73d8847fa0ca0ddc987fae.png

7c85e2b7da697f623b8a1f4a95da9c56.png

27901c84017f479b4341e4fa1237b94a.png

HAve you checked the manual - that should tell you the meaning of any warning lights.

Not entierly sure where I've put it for safe keeping.

Is this not part of the alarm system?

I think that is the led that flashes when alarmed-not sure what it means if on permanently

We don’t know too much about this bike and if it has a alarm or not. But if it has and it’s a bmw one the light staying on might be telling us that the alarm activated for some reason. Also we are not told if the light goes out when the ignition is switched on or not. A lot of guess work required to solve this. JJH

No alarm fitted. Never has been.

These are all for the 06> bikes mine is an 05 with the more primative dash. The light is not in the display. It's the shiny clear/white dot just under the rubber button.

I'll try the key in it to see if it goes out. Thought it might go out if left for a while, but at 11pm it was still on.

Thanks for your input Val.

That's odd if you don't have an alarm fitted.
As said above this light flashes when I set my alarm. Apart from that I've never seen mine do anything else. This light also contains the sensor for turning the dash lights on in the dark. Get your bike outside in the daylight and with the ignition on put your finger over it to see if the dash lights up. At least that will confirm if it's still doing that job

Well, That was interesting. I turned the key to first position and the light went out. But at the same time there was w sound came from I guess the ECU just under the tank. A blupp sound. Then when I turned the key to second position, all lights on and ready to go. A second blupp. Never heard this before or heard of such a sound from the bike???

Anyway bike started and ran as expected and light has stayed off.

So what was that then??????

Val.

THere is nothing in the alarm manual relating to the Kombi

It's all related to the pipper and operation.

From what i recall item 5 in the combi is a LED and a light sensor , so it automatically turns on the dash lights when it gets below a certain lux level

THe LED is for the Alarm if fitted.

The Kombi is the same Kombi fitted to all varients - high spec or low spec (for the Single cam hexhead)

Thats not right either lol Button number 6 is not connected to anything lol its just a rubber tit

The clock and tripmaster is set from the LH grip trip button -

On the ‘05 the rubber button is used to set clock, the trip is operated by a button on lh grip switch set, the led is, as stated, for the alarm.
If you have no alarm fitted I can only think that some knickers got twisted by the charging system, perhaps a spike tripped something??

I still have my HP2 Enduro which I purchased new in 2005. The instrument panel is very like the instrument panel on a 2005 R1200GS, apart from the rev counter, which is not there on the HP2.

As has been previously stated, button 6 is for setting the clock and it can be used to toggle between the trip meters or odometer.

I have seen the red light come on the display at position 5. It normally comes on when a factory fitted alarm is armed and is also used as a sensor to dim the panel lights when it's dark.

General opinion is that the red light comes on if there has been water ingress somewhere in the panel and will eventually go out. I asked the dealer (a long time ago) why the light came on and they really didn't know either.

Have you used a jet-wash on the bike recently?

As Blue Sweeper says...... Image #5 has two elements. 1 is an led to show alarm is active, 2 is a sensor which when cover or darkened light, brings on dash lighting. Test by covering with a finger for a few seconds

The anti-theft immobiliser is different to the optional alarm that is usually sited under the passenger seat, it works via detection the chip encased in the key.

If there is no BMW Alarm fitted, there might be an unused plug under the seat rear end (near back lamp), and possibly this might have water in it.

To the OP

Have you had it on a GS -911 it will tell you if any alarm conditions have occured . and also if the alarm is having a hissy!

If i recall you can test the kombi to see if that is faulty.]

Failing that put a multimeter on the battery and turn the bike on, wait for the bike to go through its self checks and then turn off

The voltage should drop, and then after 30 seconds should drop to almost nothing, as the electronics go to sleep

if your still showing a voltage draw, it could be the led in the kombi, and potentially whats causing the led to light

Its been reported before a few times - general concencus is either

Battery failing - Charging circuit failing - Water / humididty in Kombi unit

No real soloution identified - other than leave for 24 -48 hrs and it goes off never to return / or no other responses to actual fault

Have you tried arming and triggering your alarm - it may be a capacitor in the combi is discharging its stored charge to the led instead of retaining its charge?

or the led just needs a big voltage to wake it up and restore normal operation. Leds do funny things when they get to the end of there life

I still have my HP2 Enduro which I purchased new in 2005. The instrument panel is very like the instrument panel on a 2005 R1200GS, apart from the rev counter, which is not there on the HP2.

As has been previously stated, button 6 is for setting the clock and it can be used to toggle between the trip meters or odometer.

I have seen the red light come on the display at position 5. It normally comes on when a factory fitted alarm is armed and is also used as a sensor to dim the panel lights when it's dark.

General opinion is that the red light comes on if there has been water ingress somewhere in the panel and will eventually go out. I asked the dealer (a long time ago) why the light came on and they really didn't know either.

Have you used a jet-wash on the bike recently?

No, Bike hasn't been outside since September.

Val.

Back
Top Bottom