Fork brace manufacturer!

Similar to a FLATRACER one but looks to be an older design, I had an almost identical one on a Suzuki GT500 back in the early 80's and they were made by a UK manufacturer but cann't remember the name

I have the Flatracer one my well worn R80 G/S PD, and it doesnt have the flat portion in the centre and it also has tabs for the mudgaurd fixings, so I doubt if that one is even for an airhead. The SJ cast one on my R100GS fixs a differen way.
I fitted the brace and a SJ billet top at the same time, the brace was for a 19" wheel not a 21" and the top triple was not for a G/S but the are both on and work fine.

The G/S forks are unbushed so as they wear youi just have to accept it, and the flat plate top triple is just not up to off road work and bends, twists and flexes , so I could see the forks twisting just wheeling the bike in the car port.

I didnt make any attempt to align the lower brace on fitting as I considered that pulling the well worn sliders hard up to one side was better than having them slopping around in the middle, and that proved to be the case .
The slop in the forks was almost completely eliminated and they are now more rigid than the 42 mm Showas on my Funduro, and fork action is better too.
With 5 WT Maxima Synth suspension fluid, the softest factory 36mm fork springs and a approx 400 Lb spring in the Ohlins - I like softly sprung suspension!

BMurr...the reason I went looking to source something more substantial than the standard bracket was brought about following me having to give the front brake on the Airhead a ‘handful and some’ which brought on a bit of a wobble :eek: which I put down to the very poor standard fork brace (I have the Harrison-Billett 6 x pot calliper fit which, as you can imagine, is a tad more effective than the single calliper).

Does it work? ...oh yes:thumb

Not sure if they’re still available though ...might be worth searching around eBay globally.

Don’t know whether you could get a mould from mine...bike off the road for winter now ?

Just found this on Wunderlich (America)

...http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/38653000-100.html

Back
Top Bottom