Expensive light bars - I’ll Make my own!

I went 'full pikey', found some moderately rusty 20mm (iirc) box section steel lying around the garage and a couple of spacers, partnered with the same Amazon lights as Donned above has used. I had planned on making another one so it would look better, but it's bolted up and has been working fine for nigh-on 18 months now, so I've not bothered... :D

So looking to buy a light bar to mount spots on my GSA...

Bloody hell they’re expensive!

It’s just a piece of laser-cut steel, right?

Screw that. I’ve had many bespoke pieces laser cut for not much, then powder coated for not much more

I’m gonna spec up a price for a light bar + powder coat - surely it’s cheaper than the £72 cheapest one I’ve found thus far??

I’ll report back

(Well aware I may have set myself up to fail!)

Happy to help fella, if I can, I`ve got a couple of laser profilers....................

Ride safe,

Mark
Cymarc Bike Parts
www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk
www.cymarc.co.uk

Thanks Mark - I will be in touch when I get off my arse to draw up the design!

Right, arse gotten-up-off!

My bike's in pieces at the moment (tank/beak respray) so I can't take proper measurements until next week, but here's the initial template below with my 'guestimates' with regards to size and position pf the 'bends'. I'll make up a cardboard template next week to confirm specs.

So, hit me with your thoughts/ideas - some lightbars have lots of extra small holes along the back edge (I assume to cable-tie wires from the lights) - are they necessary? Would you like to see more/less of them? Any other features you'd like to see incorporated?

Some also have the 'GS' cutout, but I think this is likely to increase price.

Anyhoo, feedback please...

lightbar.jpg

Hi pal just read you PM (and replied). It IS very similar to the one I’m shortly launching but yeah I see what you are trying to do and yeah it should work just fine. There’s a load of stuff I’ve found out during the development which I’m very happy to share with you to help you get yours up and running and if I can further help with parts or advice if you want to sell them please just ask! The biggie is the under beak fixing - have you thought about that? I think I’ve got it nailed on the new R1250GS but of course happy to help and share ideas!
b5aab17ef8e0b98d94f67e899e044901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mark :)

Thanks for the PM - I'll reply properly in due course!

Initially I'm assuming the radiator bolts will be the fixing point - may need a couple of spacers, but that should do it.

I'll come back once I've taken proper measurements and updated my template

Mark, if you fancy making more than one then put my name on the list of potential purchasers. The light bar on my bike is decidedly scabby and I was just going to strip it then use Hammerite but a shiny one is always better :D

Well, it’s all do-able thanks to some very generous help from Mr. Hooton, but I’m struggling to find time for this project currently

Life is taking over currently, but i’ll Hope to come back to this when things quiet down!

I hate to leave a project half-cooked but other priorities are more important right now :(

Needed a new light bar for new lights, got some box and tube from B+Q, using the tube as 45mm stand offs, recessed into the tube. Used left over M6 thread inserts to mount the lamps.
e29c7859f092705330490d4e15e1bbee.jpg
73f2ae3ff2024e1b08e9df6a37aa6bfb.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

That's virtually identical to mine - similar lights too. Except mine is rusty as I used an old piece of box section I had lying around, 'test fitted it' and never took it off to rub it down and paint it :D

Back
Top Bottom