Sockets permanently powered.

milleplod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bolsover, no longer the home of the Beast.
Posted here as it'll get more coverage!

'06 1200RT. Why are the aux sockets, and the gps plug at the headstock, permanently live? :confused:

I bought a ready-made accessory plug for my Garmin on here, just been in the garage trying it out - once connected, as soon as I mount the unit in the cradle, it powers on....that's without turning the ignition on. Hmmmm....so, I take the unit off the mount and switch it off. Ignition on, put Garmin in mount, it powers up. Leave it a few mins, turn ignition off....Garmin is still powered up half an hour later....take it off the cradle and get the 'do you want to switch to battery' message, as expected.

So, the mount isn't switching off at all, and neither is the rear aux socket - front one is disconnected at the moment.

I've checked...and checked...there's nothing that I can see that's making the bike think that it needs to keep things 'on'. Any ideas what I might be missing? I've tried various combinations of plugging something into the rear aux, ignition on, ignition off, in the hope that the system might power off, but it's obviously not worked!

Pete

I hate electrics, but my first thought is if (for whatever reason) the cradle is wired direct to the battery? Or one/both of the Aux sockets are?

Are there any leads sharing the battery terminals?

Apologies if that's no flippin help!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The cradle is plugged into the original factory connector at the headstock, which should switch off shortly after the ignition is switched off. Similarly, the rear aux socket is a factory one, connected into the loom at the rear.

Yep, I hate electrics too! :mad:

Pete

I thought there was a delay between ignition-off and accessories powering down, something like 15secs springs to mind.

I agree with you. It should all shut down roughly a minute after ignition off...

Did you get a chance to look under the seat at the battery terminals, to see you if you didn't recognise any other wires connected?

Are both Aux sockets live?

It's a random thought but is it possible (with a GS911 for example) to change how the Aux sockets behave after ignition off?

I agree with you. It should all shut down roughly a minute after ignition off...

Did you get a chance to look under the seat at the battery terminals, to see you if you didn't recognise any other wires connected?

Are both Aux sockets live?

It's a random thought but is it possible (with a GS911 for example) to change how the Aux sockets behave after ignition off?

The front aux is disconnected at the moment, connections taped up. The rear is live all the time, like the gps connection. The only extra things on the battery are what I've connected - charge leads for my Acumen charger, that's it.

I did wonder about somehow 'telling' the bike to start switching things off! When I first got it, the previous owner had cobbled together a power supply for his phone when using it as a satnav - he'd disconnected the front aux socket's wiring and then soldered extensions onto them. I removed his handiwork completely to just leave the original factory wiring for the front aux, but I've yet to reconnect it to the socket. It's almost as if his diy wiring (which was causing a power drain when I checked with my multimeter) has switched things permanently on.

Pete

I think that a draw of power can keep it live.

I am sure I have read that somewhere

Yep, I was told that a bit back when I was having battery draining issues. Thing is, I did a parasitic drain check before I binned the previous owners bodgery, and there was a significant drain (can't remember the figures) - I then did one after removing the soldered-on wiring extensions, and the drain was (and still is) negligible. :confused:

Pete

Normally those circuits are can bus controlled and shut down after approx 90 seconds.
If there is a voltage feed onto this circuit it will keep it live.
Might be an idea to put a diode in the feed to the sockets to prevent any reverse voltage from the sat nav etc keeping it alive.

I can recall reading somewhere that the Garmin mount draws power, albeit a tiny bit, even when there's no unit mounted on it. I'm just wondering....now it's connected via the headstock supply, is it the mount itself that's keeping the canbus powered on......if that makes sense! :confused:

Mind you, previously I had it connected directly to the battery, switched and fused, so I could make sure there was no drain - the rear aux socket was still on all the time! :rolleyes:

Pete

The sockets should go into sleep mode 30 secs after ignition off

To confirm the sleep function is working -

If you have an auxillary cable connected at the headstck, and you can get to the business end ( garmin power feed etc)

Turn the ignition on and check the volts , it should be 12V leave for 30 seconds and it should drop to 0 volts

If you have anything plugged into the garmin at power off, it will stay powered for about 30 sec,

and then it normally displays a message along the lines of

Power has been lost - do you wish to continue on battery power (battery power being the garmins internal battery)

What may be happening is the unit drawing power after the ignition is off is overriding the canbus sleep function.

Have you checked your hand book to see if there is an option to turn on or off...

The other thing may be that the nav is wired to a perm live socket as opposed to a switched live socket

i know on my headstock i have a switched live which i use for nav, and another socket which is unconnected - i believe thats for aux lights

Do a raw volts check at the battery - power on record volts - power off & record volts and watch for 30 secs- it should drop off to almost 0.xx

If more, somthing is keeping the system live

I was concerned that my power feed at the headstock wasnt swithing off, so i wired the BMW fly lead into the socket and left the two wires unconnected

I connected my multimeter to the two leads and checked the voltage with the ignition on & off and confirmed it was a switched live and drawing no power

This has been a known issue with some garmin mounts connected into the acc circuit. Get a volt meter, unplug the mount and see if it it all shuts down after a couple of mins. I can't remember when but there was also a software update on the GS anyway that helped this issue. Might be worth checking with your dealer. Other alternative if unplugging works is don't connect anything to the acc circuit. It's a PITA and not worth the hassle. Buy a decent fuse box and relay then put everything to battery.

Like others have said, the sockets over-run live for about 60 secs - sometimes more/less if reprogrammed.

Given you have just installed the Garmin cradle, presumably with the correct canbus connector, it might be an idea just to disconnect this in case it has a high parasitic drain going on that is confusing things. Disconnect the battery overnight, then re-connect next day to see if the problem remains extant.

Then, provided the previous power supply was removed in its entirety, without any other leads hiding under the seat/tupperware, I reckon you just need to re-prog the sockets. Unless you have access to a GS911 (maybe someone on here will volunteer?) you will need to talk to your friendly BMW dealer or local indy.

Like others have said, the sockets over-run live for about 60 secs - sometimes more/less if reprogrammed.

Given you have just installed the Garmin cradle, presumably with the correct canbus connector, it might be an idea just to disconnect this in case it has a high parasitic drain going on that is confusing things. Disconnect the battery overnight, then re-connect next day to see if the problem remains extant.

Then, provided the previous power supply was removed in its entirety, without any other leads hiding under the seat/tupperware, I reckon you just need to re-prog the sockets. Unless you have access to a GS911 (maybe someone on here will volunteer?) you will need to talk to your friendly BMW dealer or local indy.

They can be reprogrammed then? That's good to know if so - I reckon the bodge-job I removed might have been the original high-drain issue and the canbus seems to be 'locked' into keeping the supply on. Anyway, the mount is disconnected, I'll disconnect the battery in the morning and leave it off for 24hrs, then re-check the situation prior to finding a GS911 'volunteer'. :) Cheers.

Pete

Just another thought that might help to explain the rationale Pete,

Not only can dirty contacts on the cradle/unit & parasitic drain impact but, IIRC, some time back I heard mention that the canbus connector wiring can also be the cause. The socket on the bike has 3 leads & from memory they are........

(1) Brown = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

Because the Nav powers up with just 1 & 3, wire 2 gets ignored, sometimes cropped off when wiring a Garmin rather than BMW branded cradle. I think it's intended to keep speed/distance data alive when the unit can't see the satellites, say in a tunnel, but could be used for other features on future Nav units. It was said that failure to connect this lead correctly stops the canbus system powering down the cradle socket. I have no personal experience of this I hasten to add, but the ECU/canbus likes to give us all a sharp kick in the nuts from time to time, just to keep us on our toes. So, if you disconnect the Nav cradle at the canbus socket & do the battery thing, we can see if that corrects things with the Nav cradle & other power sockets, without the need to look further.

Good luck.

Just another thought that might help to explain the rationale Pete,

Not only can dirty contacts on the cradle/unit & parasitic drain impact but, IIRC, some time back I heard mention that the canbus connector wiring can also be the cause. The socket on the bike has 3 leads & from memory they are........

(1) Brown = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

Because the Nav powers up with just 1 & 3, wire 2 gets ignored, sometimes cropped off when wiring a Garmin rather than BMW branded cradle. I think it's intended to keep speed/distance data alive when the unit can't see the satellites, say in a tunnel, but could be used for other features on future Nav units. It was said that failure to connect this lead correctly stops the canbus system powering down the cradle socket. I have no personal experience of this I hasten to add, but the ECU/canbus likes to give us all a sharp kick in the nuts from time to time, just to keep us on our toes. So, if you disconnect the Nav cradle at the canbus socket & do the battery thing, we can see if that corrects things with the Nav cradle & other power sockets, without the need to look further.

Good luck.

My garmin power cable was 2 wire (Zumo 550) - +12v -12v the speed pulse is not used - it only gives 10V if i recall

I may be wrong, but i think that wire may stay perma live? I cropped it back and just use the 12V feeds

Back
Top Bottom