brake light not working

wanderingmerv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone has seen this before, and can short cut me to the source of the problem.

I've no brake light. I have used my canbus interrogation software to watch the inputs from the brake switches, both the front and the rear brakes, and neither of them are registering when I pull the handbrake or the push the footbrake. I find it very strange that both have failed at the same time, so I have to assume that somewhere along the line there is a common power supply to them for them both to fail. I also assume that they must have separate returns to the canbus system as it shows each switch separately.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram that tells the color of the wires that may be damaged, and the route?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree, and it's something else?

My bike is parked up in Morocco, and I need to fix it upon my return to ride it home to Ireland, I'll need to bring anything that I will need....

Thanks!
Merv.

p.s. Happy new year!

No, on the basis that the canbus would report an error of a blown bulb,

but mainly because the canbus computer is not even receiving a signal that I have hit the brakes.

However, I'll be trying it all when i get back to the bike.
Thanks!
Merv.

Seems strange - Could it be a Battery condition issue? I gather it can create problems with the ZFE.

I got this figured out, I just want to update the thread for others.

Turns out, there was nothing wrong with the light, or wiring, or canbus, or switches.

On the food brake lever there is a little lump/tit/widget that is fixed on at the highest point and it activates the switch. This is missing on my bike, i guess it vibrated off or something. This means the switch thinks that you have depressed the pedal, and therefore had the brake lights on the whole time. It's hard to tell in the sunlight, but in the dark it's pretty clear when the brake light is on.

If, like me, you need a temporary fix you can use a small cable tie to hold the switch closed. This turns the brake light off, even if you are braking or not. You will still have the brake light activated by the front brake.

so, anyone got a scrapped lever with the little knob on the side they would like to part company with? :)

Merv.

Back
Top Bottom