European Spec Bikes

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've posted in here previously about my basket case 1978 RD250.

I also posted a single photo of the bike on a Yamaha page and a guy popped up and said it's a European spec.

It's UK registered and has been since new in 1978.

I don't understand what makes it a European spec and he's not saying why, other than he bases it upon "experience"

It's not like it's LHD ;)

Thoughts please about what a European spec bike actually is, and thanks.

Probably headlamp and reflectors , and handlebars, maybe some emission stuff, but you have the best one.

Back then I wouldn't expect grey/parallel imports to be correctly identified as such necessarily. So there could easily be errors with the V5, even with the original bill of sale if you have that. Even in the mid 90s there were loads of Fireblades around that were never intended for the UK market for instance - nobody was really bothered when it satisfied pent up demand.

Maybe the speedo has been exchanged for an MPH one, as that's rather obvious - markers on the face, or an overlay are a give-away. IIRC is should show MPH on the dial, with a smaller KPH figures towards the centre.
Headlamp? - check the part number with Yam for LH or RH dipping.
Orange side reflectors? often US/world models.

Why worry though. They were great bikes, with excellent performance for the time. Sadly though, this was the end for the old 250 learner law & along came 12bhp 125s.

It has a number of aftermarket parts, including small indicators, but I've Googled European indicators and they are the same as the UK ones.

I expect it's just a modified UK spec.

If he’s not prepared to produce something to back his comments up tell him you think he’s a wanker and you’re basing that on “experience”.

I can’t understand why anyone is bothered what spec the bike is. I had one. Lovely bike. JJH

Back
Top Bottom