The Mosquito Story

bisbee

VIGILUM
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We really ought to have an airworthy one in the UK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Tcbolu3LZI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They have a much lower profile that the other famous planes. Undeserved. Mighty plane flown by heroes. JJH

Am I right in thinking that these had a Spitfire engine on each wing??

Had an Airfix one when I was a young lad.

Sent from a U11

Sent from a U11

I think it had various engines over the years Early ones had the Merlin 51s then the Griffon then finally it was fitted with high-altitude rated two-stage, two-speed Merlin 77s, it reached 439 mph (707 km/h) in December 1943.[7] quite a bit faster than a Spitfire iirc

A superb staged project . Wings being made in NZ . “ If we’d used rivets we would have lost 20mph “ What a machine !

Sent from a U11

The “spitfire” engine was used in many aircraft during ww2 and after. Roles Royce Merlin. From single engine fighters to twins and 4 engine bombers. I’m open to correction on this but I think it was the most produced of any British aero engine. JJH

The “spitfire” engine was used in many aircraft during ww2 and after. Roles Royce Merlin. From single engine fighters to twins and 4 engine bombers. I’m open to correction on this but I think it was the most produced of any British aero engine. JJH
I think the Yanks even started using it in the Mustang.

Sent from a U11

Sorry..... ME262
d7f82524a5ef61c6d2bc4aa64fe8e26f.jpg

Sent from a U11

My late father-in-law was a joiner by trade. He was in the RAF during WW2 and taken from bomber crew duties following injury.
He was subsequently deployed to a factory manufacturing Mosquitoes.
I remembering him telling me the planes assigned to North Africa were breaking up during flight. It was found the dessert heat caused
the airframe glue to melt. A new modified glue was brought in and production continued.
I also wonder if the old man was involved in making any of the planes used in Op Jericho or even featured in the film 633 Squadron.

Apart from the little hun ME192 jet (?) I think the Mosquito was the most beautiful plane of that era.

Sent from a U11

I think most planes of that era were beautiful except for that stuka dive bomber. Both sides had a few planes that weren’t what you would call beautiful but in the main I think the lines had a certain elegance about them. JJH

I think the Yanks even started using it in the Mustang.

Sent from a U11

The Mustang was average at best until a bright spark decided to try it with a Merlin engine. It became arguably the best single engined fighter of the WW11.

I was looking at a Mosquito at RAF Cosford a couple of weeks ago with my godson and it's just a stunning piece of engineering.

Saw the French part-size replica at Sywell show a few years ago, and very nice it was too.
Think this is 80% scale (to fit in with light aircraft regs).
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OG24Kscvs8o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoyed that.

I remember years ago, walking across the field on an RAF station towards the control tower when they tannoyed us and told us to sit on the grass. Shortly afterwards a Mosquito flew over at zero feet, right over us. That memory will always stay with me.

The guys who flew them as pathfinders lighting up targets for the bombers fleets despite everything the enemy threw at them including deception were amazing. Going miles into enemy territory on your own just the 2 of you to find targets. JJH

Back
Top Bottom