Excel help needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

G5RJO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:confused:

I'm building a spreadsheet, it's a basic accounts list type thing.

I have a column of numbers, all whole numbers and I use the autosum function to add them up, all pretty easy...

The autosum cell (L65 if it matters) reads as =SUM(L6:L64) the format of the numbers in column L is set as 'General'.

What I want to do is then get the number produced in 'L65' and multiply it by 0.45 and display that result in 'Currency' format in another cell, say L67.

It just won't play ball......... HELP before I smash it up......:nenau

If there was an easy way of getting it to add up the numbers in cells L6 to L64 and then multiply the rest by 0.45 and show the result as £, that would be ideal..

Any advice appreciated...

Roger.

In L67 put

=L65*0.45

Then set the attribute of L67 to ‘currency’

Can I suggest getting an Excel book. The Excel for Dummies is very good (no offence intended). That way you’ll have a good source of worked examples.

In L67 put

=L65*0.45

Then set the attribute of L67 to ‘currency’

I tried that, it's what I put in before asking for help, it doesn't like it and gives the result as a series of hashtags...

I'm going to smash it up........

Roger

Hashtags is often a sign that the cell isn’t big enough to display the result. Try making the column wider.

If I leave the cell L67 as 'General' it's fine, but as soon as I go to change it to currency, that's when it doesn't play ball.... I'll try widening the cell..

If you’re adding currency, why do you not have the attribute for the whole column as ‘currency’?

It works....... Many thanks, the cell was indeed too narrow, didn't realise the hashtag things meant that.

Brilliant help, it'll help me keep the tax man happy (ish).

Roger

If you’re adding currency, why do you not have the attribute for the whole column as ‘currency’?

The numbers are a mileage list, miles on each journey. I add up the miles, multiply it by 0.45 or 45p per mile as per what the HMRC want, before I do the other calculations.

Either way, it now works.....

Many many thanks..

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom