HE Disc Conversion

barny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Happy New Year - :beerjug:

This may be of use to someone I have just ordered from Motoren Israel GmbH the 320 disc upgrade for R100GS for just under £250 shipped from Germany inclusive , its a discounted price until 31-01-2019. When compared with Motorworks £296 plus postage it a good saving. Also TRW MCB533SV Pads on E**Y (item 222834935311) £17.96.

Barny

Cheers barny. Had them on my watch list at about 7 or £8 more. Only one more set left, they should pay you commission.

Happy New Year - :beerjug:

This may be of use to someone I have just ordered from Motoren Israel GmbH the 320 disc upgrade for R100GS for just under £250 shipped from Germany inclusive , its a discounted price until 31-01-2019. When compared with Motorworks £296 plus postage it a good saving. Also TRW MCB533SV Pads on E**Y (item 222834935311) £17.96.

Barny
Thanks Barny - ordered!

I tried the TRW SV pads, but grip felt like around 60% or less than the previous EBC hh pads they were not on for long.
TRW rear shoes are excellent , cant explain why the pads are so piss poor.
I did all the usual things, like scrubbing the disk with a scouting pad and giving them a chance to bed in to the worn disk, but they dont even look like they are made with the correct material!

I tried the TRW SV pads, but grip felt like around 60% or less than the previous EBC hh pads they were not on for long.
TRW rear shoes are excellent , cant explain why the pads are so piss poor.
I did all the usual things, like scrubbing the disk with a scouting pad and giving them a chance to bed in to the worn disk, but they dont even look like they are made with the correct material!

I would agree with your view on the pads. I thought they were so bad I did’t muck about and replaced them with my d encourage pads until new ones turned up. The disc conversion however is a worthwhile upgrade.

I suspect that there may be counterfeit copies of the TRW pads.
I bought mine on Ebay and left a poor review, and the vendor simply closed that listing and started a new listing without the poor review, so he might have been aware that he was selling junk!
Some things are better bought from a local dealer, brake parts and batteries are two than instantly come to mind!.

Being the proud possessor of three G/S,GS 's one of which is an R100GSPD which when the tank is full and with me on it takes some stopping, so I have done quite a bit of research into front brakes.

On my GSPD I have tried every combination of disc, pad and caliper I could think of, normal disc, floating disc, large disc, 2pot and 4 pot caliper, normal pad, EBC, Lucas TRW, Lucas TRW SV etc etc.

For me personally the best combination has been EH 320mm disc, standard 48mm 2pot caliper and genuine Lucas TRW SV pads from Germany run on Dot 5 Silicon. This gives me 2 finger braking and I now have it on all my GS/S's and won't swap!

This of course is a purely personal opinion and may not suit everybody but I've fitted it to a few friends who seem pleased.

Arkwwright, I have a similar combination on my R80 G/S PD, 320 floating wave disk, standard two pot caliper, 11mm master cylinder and EBC HH pads and it works OK too, although I can't recall the last time I had to use it in anger.
But improving the rather weak OEM set up doesn't exactly tax the skills, the stock set up is simply under specified, with the wrong cylinder ratio.
The PO had fitted a four pot, as was the fashion at the time, but when it started leaking I refitted the two pot and, yes, it works better than the four pot
With sintered pads!
The wave disk is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a replacement, but it has been hard to find as it is pretty unusual in that it bolts to the standard centre and all the 320 disks for sale these days seem to bolt to a naff looking spacer, are neither wave or floating and only come in a kit that is four times the price of a 320 floating EBC disk for my F650 and six times the price of the Kyoto on my R100GS.
What does this 320 mm EH disk you use look like, and who sells them?

Being the proud possessor of three G/S,GS 's one of which is an R100GSPD which when the tank is full and with me on it takes some stopping, so I have done quite a bit of research into front brakes.

On my GSPD I have tried every combination of disc, pad and caliper I could think of, normal disc, floating disc, large disc, 2pot and 4 pot caliper, normal pad, EBC, Lucas TRW, Lucas TRW SV etc etc.

For me personally the best combination has been EH 320mm disc, standard 48mm 2pot caliper and genuine Lucas TRW SV pads from Germany run on Dot 5 Silicon. This gives me 2 finger braking and I now have it on all my GS/S's and won't swap!

This of course is a purely personal opinion and may not suit everybody but I've fitted it to a few friends who seem pleased.

I have exactly the same and am very happy with this too.

For Beemerboff

IMG_0111-X2.jpg

Motoren israel 246 Euro.

Thanks for that - looks like that is the only 320 disk around for both the G/S and the GS.

It would end up costing over OZ$500- , which is why I was looking for a replacement for my existing 320mm disk set up.

I have no doubt that that system works, but I am not the only person that has bought dud TRW SV pads so either they have a quality control problem os there are counterfeit pads around.

BMW invariably got the cylinder ratio wrong, so changing / sleeving to the smallest M/C around is usually the first step in an upgrade, particularly on a old/worn M/C
The actual leverage the lever has on the cylinder is usually crap too - modern M/C / lever setups have around twice the leverage of most Airhead set ups and have been tested as the most cost effective way of upgrading most brakes.
Nice soft and spongy Teflon lines give a bit more feel than the rigid old "rubber" lines and make the brakes a bit more controllable too!
And the braid looks nice too!

I fitted a big disc to my g/s from a jap bike using a custom mount, and a four pot caliper, did think of twin disc, but thought that would be ott

Using these dimensions,

http://www.bmwtcnsw.org.au/club/?p=4282

Lots of bikes use the same size discs, I think mine came of a 1200 Kawasaki, and were £60 a pair in unworn condition, calipers was £20

ianboydsnr

Is that a 4 bolt disc mounting or a 5 or 6 bolt fixing which is one of the problems finding an alternative disc for a GS which is a 4 bolt fixing.

Barny

I had these FRW pads on my ebay watch list for quite a while having read a lot of positive reviews on them. After the negative comments above I managed to cancel the order on ebay and will just make sure I get a set of EBC sintered pads from motorworks who I presume know their supply route well enough to avoid fake pads. This seems a great example of the dangers that can occur to a brand when fake copies get into the supply chain.

Regarding the TRW pads I have received the items see photos, They look OK to me but the "proof of the pudding" is in stopping the bike. I will hopefully be fitting the disc conversion soon as soon as DHL UK get off there backsides and manage to deliver the last 13 miles, so far 3 day from Germany to Norwich 3 days and counting from Norwich to me. Every other courier I have deliver to has no problem, the post code destination point is 10 mtrs from the end of my drive.

Barny

Attachments

• DSCF3885_01.JPG
    DSCF3885_01.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF3883_01.JPG
    DSCF3883_01.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF3884_01.JPG
    DSCF3884_01.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCF3886_01.JPG
    DSCF3886_01.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 330
For Beemerboff

IMG_0111-X2.jpg

Motoren israel 246 Euro.
I have a 100k 89 80gs and the front brake is very poor.The front end of Arkwright's bike looks very neat and I am contemplating upgrading to a 320mm front disc. However I am unsure what to order with the disc kit to connect to the master cylinder. Your hose connection looks very neat . Can you or anyone else advise on this neat setup.

I didn't like the idea of the flexi going to the caliper so used a length of cupro-nickel between the fork brace and the brake.
A small bracket mounted on the brace (or fork leg) caries a M-F union and then a flexi from Venhills joins that to the mastercylinder. Venhill do banjos of various angles to suit the output from the m/cyld.

hebrake.jpg

Byron

Regarding the rigid pipe I just went to a local bike MOT garage and the chap made me 2 for £5.00, one standard length from my original as I rebuilt the caliper added new braided pipe to see if that was adequate (it wasn't) and one +50mm if I needed to upgrade the disc which is now fitted and waiting to try out.

Barny

Back
Top Bottom