GS1200 Alternator capacity?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick Q,

Anyone know how much capcity the alternator on on 06 GS has?

I found some old heated gear in the shed last week, and thought i might use it now the weather has finally turned colder

I have a waistcoat - socks & gloves

The gloves are too big so wont be used

And i'm not sure if the socks actually work, but i know the waiscoat does, as i tried it on an old car battery.

its got some wiring with an inline fuse if i recall and it looks like it went direct to the battery.

I'm guessing if i go this way it will be always on when its plugged in & wouldnt need a relay?

I was thinking of wiring it to a din plug for the rear seat plug, but i guess that way would need a relay?

Back to the first Q - how do i find my alternators max capacity -

i dont want to power this up and find i run out of electrons some way down the road

the output will be too high and the can bus will shut it down

Use the positive on the socket to trip a relay wired directly to the battery to power the jacket and when you switch off the socket shuts down after a minute

the output will be too high and the can bus will shut it down

Use the positive on the socket to trip a relay wired directly to the battery to power the jacket and when you switch off the socket shuts down after a minute

Cheers , i'll have a look see what i have in the parts bin tommorow :)

Gs = 600w or 50A
Gsa = 720w or 60A

iirc

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

These are the numbers for the hexheads.

The 1200/1250 LC bikes have a lower output, down to 510W. Guess the introduction of LED has reduced the power consumption. I would expect the bike to use 100W, so plenty of power for heated gear. Also keep in mind that the given output probably is measured at cruising speed, i.e 3-4K rpm, so if there is lots of riding with starts and stops, the average output will be lower due to the engine runs at a lower rpm. Still, heated gear rarely draws more than 120W at full blast, probably regulated down to less than half most of the time. So, no problem...

These are the numbers for the hexheads.

The 1200/1250 LC bikes have a lower output, down to 510W. Guess the introduction of LED has reduced the power consumption. I would expect the bike to use 100W, so plenty of power for heated gear. Also keep in mind that the given output probably is measured at cruising speed, i.e 3-4K rpm, so if there is lots of riding with starts and stops, the average output will be lower due to the engine runs at a lower rpm. Still, heated gear rarely draws more than 120W at full blast, probably regulated down to less than half most of the time. So, no problem...
This is the Hexhead section so why all the LC details?

40A at 14.2V is about 570 watts so raw power won't be a problem.

Last winter I used some Oxford heated gloves with plug-in fused connection direct to battery. They did the job but heated grips are only slightly less warming and the gloves are a hassle to use. The connecting wires cannot go under your jacket as they'll create a horrible draught at the cuff. Taking them outside the coat only works if you have external adjustment straps and a belt the wires can tuck under.

So choose your thermal gear wisely and check it's usability.

40A at 14.2V is about 570 watts so raw power won't be a problem.

Last winter I used some Oxford heated gloves with plug-in fused connection direct to battery. They did the job but heated grips are only slightly less warming and the gloves are a hassle to use. The connecting wires cannot go under your jacket as they'll create a horrible draught at the cuff. Taking them outside the coat only works if you have external adjustment straps and a belt the wires can tuck under.

So choose your thermal gear wisely and check it's usability.

Its a waistcoat, so wires out the bottom,

The gloves are XXXXXXXXXL mahoosive , so its the heated grips on defcon 2 ;)

Back
Top Bottom