First motorcycle, what clothes for urban commute?

Very good, hope the weather temperatures hold out for you to enjoy it now.... or it'll be a cruel wait until Spring :)

Bike turned up at 8pm this evening, went for a quick half hour blast as I thought it would be rude not to!

Bike turned up at 8pm this evening, went for a quick half hour blast as I thought it would be rude not to!

You can ignore all this if you want to, but here's a Couple of 'fast track' tips for you... if you want to preserve your new bike.

a) The centre stand will get chipped really badly from little stones flicked up from the front tyre. Everyone suffers from it. Like a sandblaster it'll chip away all the paint until it goes rusty. You can buy a Mountain Bike chain stay protector. It's a neoprene sleeve that wraps around your centre stand middle bar, and is velcro'd in place. Lightweight, cheap and will save the paint.

b) SALT on the winter roads will corrode all your bolts around the engine casing and frame and crash bars, it'll take all that nice new look and turn it into a nasty dull fuzz. So either don't ride it in the salt if you want to keep it pristine, or get your dealer to apply ACF50 (a liquid that repels water and salt, lasts a long time).

c) The paintwork on these bikes is thin... In my opinion, use a garage jet washer to clean your new bike with extreme caution. Two reasons

i) The foam cycle uses a detergent and will strip any wax off your paintwork, it'll then expose the porous paint to water, which will then react to the metal beneath and start to rust. It won't take long and the paint will start flaking and rusting. Ideally wash your bike by hand using a garden hosepipe, bucket and washmitt, with a regular car wash product (like AutoGlym Shampoo Conditioner) as it will protect your paintwork and has rust inhibitor.

ii) The Jet Washer water pressure can ruin your handlebar controls (electrical contacts) and blow water at pressure where it shouldn't go, blow grease away from bearings, hinges. And can weaken paintwork. So don't be tempted to get up too close with the water pressure. It'll end up with problems.

d) There are three products I would immediately recommend. Mudsling Rear Mudguard, Avantguard Fender Extender and BMW Frame Protector. These will keep the day to day mud, grit, scratches off your bike.

All little niggle points, but if you know these from the start, you'll get a head start in looking after your new bike :)

Enjoy :)

Boots/Gloves? Some folk will buy an expensive bike & ride in crap gear to save 2 bob.

I know others disagree, but for me it's ATGATT these days. All the gear, all the time.

It's no good popping down to the supermarket in jeans & trainers, only to find some vacant myopic takes you out. Shit happens, keep protected as far as you can reasonably

I've rattled on how to protect your bike...

He's my thoughts on how to protect you...

A) Proactive protection. Go and get some Advanced Rider training. Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) or Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA). This will do two things 1) Make you a better rider with more confidence. 2) Give you a meaningful group to ride around with and meet bikermates. You'll learn a lot.

B) Reactive protection. Safety equipment. Basically it filters down to a decent helmet, gloves, jacket, trousers, boots. But remember, if you crash, whatever you've bought may get written off.... so paying £2000 for a fancy carbon fibre limited edition helmet will make you cry if it rolls off your seat and falls onto concrete :D

Consider the following:-

- Helmet with internal flip down dark visor (very convenient for changing light conditions). Visor with pinlock insert (stops misting up). If you wear spectacles use washing up liquid on the lens, old fighter pilot trick to stop misting)

- Boots with ankle support protection. TCX Boots are my favorite as good value.

- Jacket/Trousers : Goretex is good (but fabric holds water, gets heavy and takes ages to dry). Goretex Pro repels water, doesn't soak it up and drys fast, but is expensive.

- Merino wool base layers and socks. Warm, wicking, doesn't smell, lasts ages.

- Windproof neck tube (stop draughts)

- Earplugs... get used to wearing these... it'll save your hearing from wind buffetting and engine noise. Don't get tinitus like the rest of us :D

- Good Bike chain, locks. Theft is rife at the moment, so NEVER leave your bike unattended without locks (including steering locks). A good company is Pragmasis Security (do a search on here) for kits.

:D

Oh... and a really nice windproof base layer I use is a Regatta Reid Soft Shell Jacket. They're high collar, long sleeved, lightweight, water resistant, Wind proof and cost only £25 each.

Great for biking on cold days under your jacket.

Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to do an advanced riders course,I have taken my bike to work the last two days in a row and the roads appear greasy, it’s about 3 degrees here and it rained a couple of days ago and the roads have not fully dried out. This is the first time I have ridden any big bike in not perfect dry conditions and I don’t seem to have any confidence to lean the bike over in the corners and have found myself tensing up. In the dry I’m loose and relaxed in the bends but not sure if I it’s a mental thing because the roads look a bit slippy?.

Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to do an advanced riders course,I have taken my bike to work the last two days in a row and the roads appear greasy, it’s about 3 degrees here and it rained a couple of days ago and the roads have not fully dried out. This is the first time I have ridden any big bike in not perfect dry conditions and I don’t seem to have any confidence to lean the bike over in the corners and have found myself tensing up. In the dry I’m loose and relaxed in the bends but not sure if I it’s a mental thing because the roads look a bit slippy?.

The roads are slippy at the moment. In Winter, as much as you know.... it's also what NOT to do.

Survival reactions can get you into trouble if you panic, turning a slip into a crash if you do the wrong things.

There's a DVD that explains these Survival Reactions called 'Twist of the Wrist 2' by Kieth Code. Cheap on Amazon... but often found on YouTube.

Go watch that, it'll help :)

The bike will be mostly used for weekend blasts and occasional 5mile commute to work then hopeful some good road trips.

That doesn't sound like "adventure riding" to me, just having an "adventure bike" does not make you an "adventure rider" sorry to burst that bubble for you, check out what ride unlimited have been doing on Facebook and Instagram recently that's adventure riding!

Ignoring those that say you can have an adventure on any bike which is true, the classic definition includes offroad riding over an extended period.

The Clit (Klim) suit is probably the most common attire for the on road only "adventure bike" riders and offroad riders, particularly the badlands.
The BMW twat suit (Rallye) suit is somewhat less common as its a layered jacket designed really for warmer climates and is a bad solution for the UK weather as an all day everyday touring suit.

The only advantage "offroad" gear has for the tarmac only rider is venting in summer, and for the commuter the fit is more baggy which is better for going over smart work trousers.

I use the BMW endurogaurd for most things all year though it is very heavy, as its designed to take a beating offroad so I wouldn't recommend it for general use.

I use Dainese gear for when solely long distance road riding (excluding commuting due to snug fit) as its lighter and more comfortable.

If its not going to rain the check out draggin jeans and similar.

I'd also advise you to get a heated jacket its will make riding at colder times much more enjoyable...the one bit of kit I wish I'd have bought sooner.

Thanks for the info blueranger, no bubble to burst as I have never claimed to be an adventure rider!. I did not know that was a stipulation of buying a gs. With that said I am planning to start doing some road trips (as mentioned) and these may constitute as a little adventure for myself, therefore adventure riding ; )

Back
Top Bottom