First motorcycle, what clothes for urban commute?

Dalton 2085

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just purchased my first motorcycle a 2018 rg1200 rallye. I want to ensure I am comfortable but also as protected as possible.

What jacket and trousers would people recommend for adventure riding and occasional daily commute?

Thanks

First bike a 1200 Rallye ? Very nice indeed . Try on lots of gear for a nice comfortable fit and buy the best you can afford. Also save a few quid back to invest in some on road training. Have a fun time on that bike

How far is your commute? Will you commute all year round ?
I'd just go and try a few goretex type suits on but if it were for 3 miles each way in April to October I'd look at a one piece oversuit and some bike jeans and a nice comfortable casual but armoured jacket.
Get what fits properly and feels comfy over and above how it actually looks

Get yourself down to your nearest J&S or Infinity Motorcycles and have a good look around. They hold plenty of cheap to expensive brands for you to be able to make a choice re size and quality.

Obviously, like most things in life, the more you pay, the better quality you get. My view is don't get leather as it holds the water when it gets wet, so textile stuff is the way to go.

Top brands are Klim and Rukka, but if you're on a bit of a budget Frank Thomas stuff will be good enough to see you through your first couple of years. You may want to get a couple of pairs of gloves too, just in case one get saturated as they can take an age to dry out.

If you are commuting in any sort of cold/wet/overcast/dark weather - consider getting a flourescent overjacket and trousers

Oxford do a really good set (and you can always go for the dark blue trousers if you don't want the complete 'yellow' look.

They make you visible, keep you warm, dry - and reduce the road-muck that your (possibly) expensive jacket/trousers soak up. Saves on washing your good gear too.

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com...MIvYGc56vW3wIVSrftCh23lQjvEAQYAiABEgKFbPD_BwE

Highly recommended

There is a lot of choice out there. I work in different offices which vary on a daily basis and have no where private to get changed other that the toilet and I can't be arsed carrying my work clothes around too.

For that reason I wanted an over-suit that has all the impact protection fitted. I bought a second hand BMW Coverall and love it. It is 100% waterproof and I can step into it fully clothed for work and step out of it on arrival. I like to refer to it as my onsie. You need to layer up underneath in the colder weather as it has no liner but I wouldn't be without it.

For non commutes I wear textile 2 piece stuff but for the daily commute the BMW coverall is perfect for me. Oh and I ride a Rallye too so it must be okay ;)

Thanks for all the reply’s guys, very helpful. The bike will be mostly used for weekend blasts and occasional 5mile commute to work then hopeful some good road trips. I am just struggling to decide what to wear for safety and ease when I am using to go to work. What do you guys wear for trousers, are they armoured etc when just nipping out.

Riding gear

Thanks for all the reply’s guys, very helpful. The bike will be mostly used for weekend blasts and occasional 5mile commute to work then hopeful some good road trips. I am just struggling to decide what to wear for safety and ease when I am using to go to work. What do you guys wear for trousers, are they armoured etc when just nipping out.

The problem is there's loads of gear out there as the advice above says: However I ride probably in the way you ride. ie days out, the odd commute and mainly road trips.

So I have good textiles for road trips, 2 piece, so you can mix and match.

Even on summer trips away for a good few days, the weather can range from blistering hot to p@ssing down. Decent boots and gloves (2 pairs as mentioned) are must too, as this can be ingress points. Slight down side with textiles is that when very hot you get hot, but Id rather be like that than wet and cold when weather changes

Great advice for a one piece suit if you're a continual commuter.

For days out in good weather, armoured jeans are great, why wouldn't you wear anything but armour. And you can wear a textile jacket, I have a good waterproof one and a Dainese mesh type one for those really hot days, again all armoured.

In terms of makes and models, get the best you can, in saying that I'm not proud and will buy secondhand, its still all good kit and that way I have a number of jackets etc that I can wear.

I also wear an airvest........but that discussion is on another thread somewhere on this forum.

May be worth you trying on some gear and then asking for advice or if anyone has any spare they want to off load.

Also get a neck buff, it can keep the chill out, and a neck lanyard is useful to always put your keys in the same safe place: as these jackets have hundreds of pockets!!

Enjoy your riding and the forum

A

ESSENTIAL

If you're going to do a lot of miles in all weather ( I do) get yourself a set of Wunderlich handlebar muffs for the winter. Ugly but worth their weight in gold. Dry warm hands are a must as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for this, exellant info. I’m off to my local j&s tomorrow. It’s good to get a steer as the stuff is so expensive and I don’t want to buy pointless gear if avoidable.

Thanks again

If you’re going to ride year round then buy a heated jacket because you’ll avoid the need to bulk up on loads of thermals and just use the same jacket 12 months of the year.

As for brand, that depends on your bank balance as much as anything but if I lived in Colchester I’d be off to Hideout Leathers because they’ve got a good choice and the staff know about the products they sell.

https://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/

With the benefit of hindsight, if I was starting from scratch, then I'd buy the Klim Traverse jacket with good quality armour, and a Keis heated jacket.

Wear a t-shirt under the Traverse when it's hot with the vents open, use the heated jacket, under it, when it's cold.

I prefer leather pants and use a set of waterproof trousers over the top, my current ones are Dainese, which have given good protection.

I really wouldn't bother with a 5 minute commute, it'll take you longer to get your kit on and off, especially when it's cold, than you'll be riding for.

Thank you for this, exellant info. I’m off to my local j&s tomorrow. It’s good to get a steer as the stuff is so expensive and I don’t want to buy pointless gear if avoidable.

Thanks again

Did you buy anything?

Did you buy anything?

Bought a BKS textile jacket and some BKS textile trousers with winter liners in, also got a HJC RPHA 90 lid.

The guys at j&S were quite good, I was looking at some Klim gear but they didn’t have my size in store and my bike is being delivered Wednesday and I know I’ll be desperate to get out for a blast.

I have enough gear to get me out safely now so can take my time to get some really nice bits. This will also give me enough time to sort my bank balance out : (

Hi all

I have just purchased my first motorcycle a 2018 rg1200 rallye. I want to ensure I am comfortable but also as protected as possible.

What jacket and trousers would people recommend for adventure riding and occasional daily commute?

Thanks

Bearing in mind where you live, I think a trip to Hideout Leather (they do lots of 3rd party textiles as well as manufacturing their own high-quality leather and textile suits to Police specification) would be in order.

Very good, hope the weather temperatures hold out for you to enjoy it now.... or it'll be a cruel wait until Spring :)

Back
Top Bottom