Choice of Air Vest technology ..

Talking to my daughter’s man who commutes daily to work on his Gsa, we were discussing the dangers of that daily run regarding careless driving by cars etc, he seems to take it in his stride ( I was young and foolish once) I mentioned that as far as I can remember my early accidents had been my fault but since retiring the near offs etc have been down to others not me. I find at my age 73 riding defensively for most of the time is very tiring but very necessary. But as I’ve become a carer for my Linda I’m seriously thinking should I really be riding and older bodies don’t like being chucked down the road no matter what speed.

My boots would be staying in the garage, no matter how much I love my bike, hard decision but Linda should come first.

Bob your correct, well I’ve just sorned the bike I’ll have a rethink (maybe) when I’ve got a clearer mind. Thanks guys for your carefull comments it really is hard to come to terms with assessing your capabilities as you get older especially with responsibilities to someone you love.

Bob your correct, well I’ve just sorned the bike I’ll have a rethink (maybe) when I’ve got a clearer mind. Thanks guys for your carefull comments it really is hard to come to terms with assessing your capabilities as you get older especially with responsibilities to someone you love.

really hope things work out for the better later..........a clear mind is a safe mind...;)

i booked an appointment with Helite and brought from them direct, I've had it over three years now and have sent it back to them for them to give it a service.

As he said when i brought it, He said wear it but just don't use it.

I do around 22,000 miles a year and wear the air vest every time. Wouldn't leave home without it.

My reasoning for a vest over a system built into a jacket, is I have more than one jacket, winter, summer etc and wanted something I could wear all year around. The tether is not an issue, it soon becomes second nature to unclip when getting off, plus spare tethers are cheap, so you can use the vest on multiple bikes.

Where are the tethers cheap please?

Blood bike groups get discount. Think they also give discount to IAM etc. Thought they were only about £15 each.

Cheapest on the bay is about 22 quid iirc? which comes from France which simply is overpriced in my view

:beerjug:

Cheapest on the bay is about 22 quid iirc? which comes from France which simply is overpriced in my view

have you tried phoning Helite direct - airvest.co.uk for a price. Ok, just looked on their website and the spare tether is around £27, so even with discount £22 looks quite good

have you tried phoning Helite direct - airvest.co.uk for a price. Ok, just looked on their website and the spare tether is around £27, so even with discount £22 looks quite good

If I can source the correct clip I'll make one or just swap it between bikes with some sort or carabiner to make it easier :beerjug:

It really amazes me. People spend £400+ on an airvest then quibble about £27 for an additional tether for a second bike.

It really amazes me. People spend £400+ on an airvest then quibble about £27 for an additional tether for a second bike.

Bit of rope would work :) Personally I have bought extra tethers as I have more than one bike, but I would rather buy the real thing than make my own.

Never assume ;) And show me where the value is in a bit of 20mm webbing a couple of Delrin clips (99P from prc) and a couple of buckles 27 quid my arse Baby seat restraints are far cheaper if you want to talk safety:rob

Bit of rope would work :) Personally I have bought extra tethers as I have more than one bike, but I would rather buy the real thing than make my own.

That's exactly what I did. Got a tether on each on my bikes. Easy no-fuss clip in and go..

The other thing that an original supplied tether has, and a bit of rope hasn't, is the elastic section that keeps the tether taught and out of the way as you move about, but once extended by the six inches or so becomes 'solid' :thumb2

The other thing that an original supplied tether has, and a bit of rope hasn't, is the elastic section that keeps the tether taught and out of the way as you move about, but once extended by the six inches or so becomes 'solid' :thumb2

Quite correct Coming from a rope rescue background I still think I can find something Maybe a fall arrest type strap if not the original type made in China where they must be made?

To be continued .......

Sportsbike shop has the original turtle on sale at the moment for £362 a saving of £160 for anyone that’s interested.

Just purchased a Helite style inflatable vest for my wife, I got it for a fraction of the RRP as it had been used for demonstrations and the dealer is a mate of mine. It is really well made with loads of pockets. I just hope it is never required in real life.

supposed to be using the helite on the Dakar this year

Thinking of taking the plunge on the Bering C, any long term users have an opinion? I like its plain look over other brands

Back
Top Bottom