05 RT ABS bypassed, anyone know how to turn off that damn red brake failure light ?

twowheeltrekkers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
05 RT ABS bypassed, anyone know how to turn off that damn red brake failure light ? bloody thing keeps flashing and is annoying, I could cover it with black tape but would prefer to find a better solution has anyone out there managed to do this before ?

:beerjug:

Cliff

Take the bulb out; easy enough on a GS, no idea about an RT.

Your bike has the canbuss electrical system ie no fuses to the dashboard, split the dash, the warning light system are all led, I used sponge foam over the flashing led indicators, one red ABS signal one yellow warning signal
It’s time consuming on the RT because of the fairing, but easy on the GS

Early bikes ie none canbuss, all you did was take the fuse out of the coresponding flashing light

Two leds,

One give the Orange Alert symbol, The other the Red Alert symbol.

I found the best way was a small blob of Black mastic over the led & then carefully cut nitto foam.

Re turning the light of by other means... It may be possible, but it depends on the spec of the bike .

The ABS is linked via can bus to the ZFE so the ZFE is looking for signals from the ABS module when it powers up ,

Because the ABS module sends a fault signal due to the servoectomy its always going to be seen.

The only way i could see it possible working is to change the ZFE- if i recall the LOW spec ZFE is fitted to non ABS bikes -

there is nothing connected to i think pin 38, which on the basic & high ZFE's is the link to the ABS module -

So in theory if pin 38 is not looking for an ABS signal and it dosent get one, then the led shouldnt light -

However if you have a Basic or High level ZFE, then changing to a low will remove other functions as well :(

Also the cheapest ZFE i could find was £80 i wasnt prepared to have a go Blob of mastic & foam vs £80 i know which was cheaper

Two leds,

One give the Orange Alert symbol, The other the Red Alert symbol.

I found the best way was a small blob of Black mastic over the led & then carefully cut nitto foam.

Re turning the light of by other means... It may be possible, but it depends on the spec of the bike .

The ABS is linked via can bus to the ZFE so the ZFE is looking for signals from the ABS module when it powers up ,

Because the ABS module sends a fault signal due to the servoectomy its always going to be seen.

The only way i could see it possible working is to change the ZFE- if i recall the LOW spec ZFE is fitted to non ABS bikes -

there is nothing connected to i think pin 38, which on the basic & high ZFE's is the link to the ABS module -

So in theory if pin 38 is not looking for an ABS signal and it dosent get one, then the led shouldnt light -

However if you have a Basic or High level ZFE, then changing to a low will remove other functions as well :(

Also the cheapest ZFE i could find was £80 i wasnt prepared to have a go Blob of mastic & foam vs £80 i know which was cheaper

That sounds complicated but feasible, I think i will go with the simple Black mastic route ! Thanks for teh help chaps

will it pass an MOT with a that red light on?

No, because it says brake failure in multitude of ways depending on the model / year

There is also a check of the brake servo 1.1.10

A fail there is major / dangerous

No, because it says brake failure in multitude of ways depending on the model / year

There is also a check of the brake servo 1.1.10

A fail there is major / dangerous

Passed the MOT with just an advisory about the warning light, I did tell them the ABS had been removed, it passed the brake test etc so just an advisory, I will get some black mastic on the lights as soon as i get time to get in the workshop

Back
Top Bottom