Helmets onboard aircraft

markjcooper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

I know there were some posts on this in 2014 but things change....

Anyone any experience with taking a helmet onboard a European flight with Lufthansa?

The Lufthansa’s website just talks about sports gear and not lids.

And their contact centre is U.S. to say the least.

Cheers

Never had a problem with Ryanair or aerlingus. Mostly after nec bike show or ally pally. JJH

We went to Alaska from here in 2017 carrying only our helmets as hand luggage in helmet bags. Plenty of surprised looks along the way but never had to resort ot actually wearing our "hats" on board the aircraft. Placed on the floor for all journeys.

We went to Alaska from here in 2017 carrying only our helmets as hand luggage in helmet bags. Plenty of surprised looks along the way but never had to resort ot actually wearing our "hats" on board the aircraft. Placed on the floor for all journeys.
Many thanks!

I travelled on a Lufthansa flight with my helmet + a small rucksack as hand luggage in 2016. No problem.

Hi folks,

Did a quick search but came up with nothing.

I'm heading over to London to potentially buy a bike (deposit paid) and riding it home.

Just wondering if anyone has flown with Ryanair recently with a helmet as carry on luggage; how did it go?

I am putting the helmet into my backpack which will be my "carry on" luggage...I doubt it will fit into Ryanair's bag size checker as it is a little over their stated maximum dimensions so I am hoping they won't check it.

On a related note; how likely am I to get hassle going through security? Will it be seen as a "sharp object" etc.? I am flying from Dublin btw so might also post this in the Ireland forum.

Thanks.

Dont know if they have changed, wanted to fly stanstead / belfast about 2010 and couldnt carry on helmet, flew easyjet instead no problem:thumb2

I tried to fly with them a year or so with a helmet - they wouldn't allow it as hand luggage so my choice was either to check it or purchase an extra seat for the helmet.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I remember a Ross Noble story, not being allowed it as extra hand luggage, so he had to wear it through security and take it off once he'd gone flight side.

Ridiculous!

I'd wear it as part of your religious had wear, Biking is a religion.

I have flown to Spain and Portugal in the last 6 months with Ryanair, both times i purchased their priority boarding which allows carry on bags. 1 for my luggage and the other for helmet with no issues. Hope this helps

I flew to London from Dublin a few years ago, I carried on the helmet there was no issue.
I'm flying to Birmingham next week carrying a helmet again so I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Never had a problem. I’ve flown a few times with a helmet either going to pick up a bike or one of many impulse buys at various shows. JJH

Yeeeears ago i phoned AerFungus to enquire about bringing lids onboard when me and Mrs Og went to Frankfurt to get the R100GS.
Was told "ooh no! You cant do that - it could be used as a weapon!" :eek:
I replied that they should see Mrs Og with a well swung handbag. :handbag :rolleyes:

Fuck'em. We took them on as hand luggage. :dabone

I flew back from Portugal last May with helmet in hand, after trashing my HD.....They never mentioned it and whenever I asked for assistance they were most helpful, right up until the plane broke down.....It all went downhill from there:D:D

Surprised nobody's suggested that you ask Ryanair, rather than rely on anecdotal tales. If I were you, I'd try to get a positive answer confirmed by email... :rob

Surprised nobody's suggested that you ask Ryanair, rather than rely on anecdotal tales. If I were you, I'd try to get a positive answer confirmed by email... :rob
:jes
Have you ever tried to speak to a real human being in ryanair?
IF you actually succeed you will get one definitive answer from one person on the phone / contradicted by the opposite definitive answer from the staff at check in and no hope whatsoever of getting anything in writing.
Yes - i have tried. :banghead:

:jes
Have you ever tried to speak to a real human being in ryanair?
IF you actually succeed you will get one definitive answer from one person on the phone / contradicted by the opposite definitive answer from the staff at check in and no hope whatsoever of getting anything in writing.
Yes - i have tried. :banghead:

OK, I haven't flown Ryanair for about 20 years and only ever taken a lid on BA. I did say "if I were you" and that's what I would have done (until I saw your post). :blast

I've asked the Ryanair twitter. The answer is yes if it's the permitted carry on size.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom