650/700gs bodywork

Keethy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody know if the plastics from the 700 will fit the 650?

Tank panels & little front panel, I fink not.
Rear panels yes
Centre tank panel yes

Not sure what they've changed under the panels to make 700GS panels fit over the earlier 650GS's

First picture 700GS plastics
Second piccy 650GS plastics

I know the radiator covers are different over the 650GS's & no doubt some of the plastic / fittings underneath will be different as the mounting points on both plastics are different as in the piccies.

The 700 is wider at the front.

I've had a 2013 700GS & now have a 2012 650GS SE + 3 650GS's b4 & have pulled them apart somewhat from 2010 onwards

Thats not to say they won't fit as the bones of both bikes are the same -
Engine, frames, electrics, seats etc.

But the 700 GS had quite a few upgrades - twin disks, stronger front springs, traction control, esa rear suspension & definitely front plastics, even the screen mounts are different, some screens fit on the 650 but the best one being the GIVI AF5107 Airflow screen are for the 700 2013 on.
Again would probably fit a 650GS with a bit of jiggery pokkery ;)

I have the Wunderlich TOURING Vario screen on my 650GS, the 700 GS version is a different part number, because it mounts differently.

700GS plastics definitely look better / more modern than the 650GS twins..

Would love to know how you get on if you attempt it.. :thumb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190110-021200.jpg
    Screenshot_20190110-021200.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 20190110_021423.jpg
    20190110_021423.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 193
Many thanks for that, Ash.
Yes, purely an aesthetics project - the 700 definitely looks nicer than the 650, and don’t us bikers like to think “yes” when we look at our bike!
Will investigate further and report back.

All in the eye of the beholder - it will be interesting to see what the cost of the panel upgrade is as a % of the bikes current value.

As a 2012 F650GSSE (Yellow/black) owner myself, I have to say I don't reckon it's the panels that are the issue, it's the puny looking single front brake disc. Mine works perfectly well TBH & to me that's all that matters, but the F700GS twin disc just looks more meaningful.

Each to their own.

All in the eye of the beholder - it will be interesting to see what the cost of the panel upgrade is as a % of the bikes current value.

As a 2012 F650GSSE (Yellow/black) owner myself, I have to say I don't reckon it's the panels that are the issue, it's the puny looking single front brake disc. Mine works perfectly well TBH & to me that's all that matters, but the F700GS twin disc just looks more meaningful.

Each to their own.

Snap with the 650GS SE.... ;) ( the best colour )

Having had a 700 GS I can atest o the front brakes & stiffer suspension definitely is far better.
I have a set of Hyperpro progressive springs to go on the SE, which will definitely help. :thumb

I’m a bit of a creaky old dinosaur.
Ordered mine with the sadly departed Bristol Motorrad the day before they were officially announced. May not have been the first one in the country, but pretty early. Picked it up March 2008. I like the single disc - less weight and perfectly adequate for my style of riding. Brakes waste petrol. I also purposely ordered it without abs. I prefer simplicity. Certainly makes it a lot easier to service!

I also suffer from duck’s disease, so am looking at the hyperpro upgrade - sounds well regarded, although I haven’t had too much of a problem with the handling, especially after new head bearings!

Weight is the other issue as I get older. Lithium battery has saved nearly 4kg of high up weight and made a pleasantly surprising appreciable difference to handling. A Leo Vince carbon has saved another couple of kilos, nice sound and barely any louder than the original, which was a relief as I’m not of the loud pipes persuasion! Would love to source some light alloy or carbon wheels, but nobody seems to make them off the shelf, so it would be an extra couple of legs to get some made. Only ride solo these days, so looking at reducing the rear end. Yes, I’ve looked at downsizing, but I love the engine. Right power for me and amazing economy. First gear could do with being a bit lower, but ok when you get used to it.

Got a screen from Eagle screens, Perth (Oz). Excellent. Sadly broke it when a no-speed fall kicked the huge Wunderlich handguards into it. Will order another one now that they finally have payment portal set up. An Australian guy posted a link on here a matter of a couple of weeks after the bike was released in Oz mid 2008. In those more trusting days, emailed my card details and 9 days later a beautifully wrapped screen was outside my door. Touratarts had had the bike for a year and had a nice looking screen with no promise of delivery during that decade, or possibly the next.

Bike’s now done a mere 36k, just round the block and barely run in compared to some of the erstwhile posters on this and other sites!

Keethy Im with you on the weight saving using the Leo Vince carbon. Transforms the look of the bike as you change from the solid cigar tube shape can to the sleek leo vince.
Those bmw end cans are so well built I bet you could never wear them out. Noted your comment on lithium battery , good call.

Weight wise the biggest difference I made on my F650 was junking the touratwat ally top box. Once I removed it simple things like righting it off the side stand became some much easier. The issue with top boxes isnt just the inherent weight 5 kgs ish, its the crap you leave in them.

A low profile Peli case as Ash has used is brill for storing stop n go or butties and waterproof pants.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom