Compact 12V Air Pump - What's Decent On The Market Today?

If you have a battery hid away under a panel (as in my 700GS) it is easier to run a fused lead from the battery to a suitable plug (mine is tucked away under the seat)

If you have a battery hid away under a panel (as in my 700GS) it is easier to run a fused lead from the battery to a suitable plug (mine is tucked away under the seat)

same lead can be used for a battery charger or heated clothing

Many years ago myself and the guy I was working for made a attachment to pump up tyers using the piston of a car engine. You removed a spark plug and screwd in the adapter we made from a hollowed out sparkplug. You then plugged in a air line and hay presto it worked. Funny enough it only pumped while ticking over. If you reved up it wouldn’t build up pressure. Plugs are far too recessed in modern engines to make it worthwhile. By the time you got to the plug it would’ve been handier to use some other method. Also there is so many different plug sizes. Things were a lot simpler when every car had a champion n9y. JJH

I´ve got both the Dynaplug Micro Pro Inflator Air Pump and the Airman. But the Dynaplug Micro Pro Inflator Air Pump is the better one!

Great bit of kit from Adventure Bike Warehouse :thumb2

+1 on that. Pumps up from flat and enough pressure to seat the tyre on the rim.
Tried and tested. Plus used many times to adjust pressures.
I always have the engine running when I’m using it....just in case.

Many years ago myself and the guy I was working for made a attachment to pump up tyers using the piston of a car engine. You removed a spark plug and screwd in the adapter we made from a hollowed out sparkplug. You then plugged in a air line and hay presto it worked. Funny enough it only pumped while ticking over. If you reved up it wouldn’t build up pressure. Plugs are far too recessed in modern engines to make it worthwhile. By the time you got to the plug it would’ve been handier to use some other method. Also there is so many different plug sizes. Things were a lot simpler when every car had a champion n9y. JJH
That's bloody clever. Hate to think what the fuel would do to your tyres.....but bloody clever.

Just bought a givi puncture repair kit with the small canisters.Has anyone used them ? or is it advisable to buy a pump instead
cheers Doc

the air canisters are a get you to the nearest garage idea. If there is no room on the bike to carry a small pump, i wouldn't worry to much. Just sort out the flat tyre or puncture with the kit and the air canisters, then a slowish ride to the nearest air line.

If your away touring in a group only one rider needs to carry a pump.

the other issue with carrying a pump is it won't work off the GS GSA RT on bike socket as it will be over the 5 amp load of the can bus. A cigarette type socket direct to the battery works, but as posted , run the bike engine when using or the battery drains......FAST

Just ordered a MotoPressor from Adventure Motorcycles in Wexford. Crunch's one did the job when I discovered this little bastard in Ballina on the Sunday morning as we were leaving...

IMG-20190414-WA0000.jpg

Shite that a decent compressor needs a separate pressure gauge... grrr. :mad: I ordered one of those too...

€68 ffs! Better outlast the deceased Airman toy pump...

Back
Top Bottom