G/S rear shock - best option?

Gerry there is a post here recently about a fellow tosser who sent his shocks to all bike engineering for a overhaul from memory £171 rebuilt 5 day turnaround . If I can find the post I'll send on the link

Found it search shock overhaul r1150 gs ( abe and hyperpro)
I am planning to give these chaps a shout as my resto project has the originals and I can't spend big money on shocks at the moment
Cheers
Dub 24

Gerry there is a post here recently about a fellow tosser who sent his shocks to all bike engineering for a overhaul from memory £171 rebuilt 5 day turnaround . If I can find the post I'll send on the link

Found it search shock overhaul r1150 gs ( and and hyperpro)
I am planning to give these chaps a shout as my resto project has the originals and I can't spend big money on shocks at the moment
Cheers
Dub 24

Now that sounds promising.
As folks will have gathered I'm in no rush - my bikes see little use in winter & the odd winter outing sees the 1200 getting dirty.
Texted the Wilbers guy in Cork (thanks B Murr for contact number) & a week slides by without response (I had e mailed him in Autumn & no response).
Phoned the number yesterday & he picked up - was tempted to have the hissy fit but life's too short & he was pleasant & helpful.
Anyhow 3 models to choose from with prices ranging from €400 - 700 in round figures.
As things stand now the YSS unit is looking like the answer - likely to approach €200 with exchange rates (good now) & post added - affordable.
Will hold off for a wee bit as the yoke is arguably "heritage" status (like myself) having a serviceable original ticks a box of sorts.
My son asked that I leave it to him when "the man calls around" - perhaps I should make it his problem.

All contributions to date are appreciated & if anyone wishes to add more please feel free.

I have ordered a YSS from Firefox - €280 incl postage.
YSS list two shocks MZ 366-365TRL-05; this is my choice; it is more expensive (about €100) than their ME 302-365-05X because it has adjustable rebound damping (ME has not). This still comes in a lot cheaper than the Wilbers mid range unit (€500). I did not price Olins.
The YSS is bound to be better than the clapped out original.
Thanks for all the input folks.

I have ordered a YSS from Firefox - €280 incl postage.
YSS list two shocks MZ 366-365TRL-05; this is my choice; it is more expensive (about €100) than their ME 302-365-05X because it has adjustable rebound damping (ME has not). This still comes in a lot cheaper than the Wilbers mid range unit (€500). I did not price Olins.
The YSS is bound to be better than the clapped out original.
Thanks for all the input folks.

Yep, thats the one I have - and from the same place too. So far, 3 years in and having given it a bit of a beasting, its been great - already lasted better than the Ohlins it replaced :thumb2

Gerry,

I put a Wilber’s on mine a few years ago. I got it from that guy in Cork. He was easy to deal with and the price was right.

I see you have already sourced a shock from the UK.

The front suspension on the g/s is poor, no point putting something really good on the back.

Damian, it is when your front suspension is less than optimum that a good shock is of most value.

Particularly with a bike with a short swinging arm which transfers more of the rear suspension forces to the front than is desirable.

FWIW a Paralever acts like a infinitely long swinging arm----------.

Forks are basically just two tubes sliding over each other, it is the selection of the spring rate and the quality and appropriateness of the damping that makes the difference.

And matching the fork characteristics to those of the shock is of the upmost importance too - 10% softer is a starting point.

No problem on my R100GS - the springs and damping in the HPN inserts match the stock Ohlins with 450lb spring almost perfectly.

To replicate this on my G/S was a bit harder, but it is possible to get close enough without revalving.
My suspension guy is confident he could get even closer with emulators - he uses the YSS ones which are a bit cheaper the the Racetech and made to work with much softer springs.

But even with the same quality of shock and forks I will never completely match the Paralever bikes - it is just a better system!

Yep, thats the one I have - and from the same place too. So far, 3 years in and having given it a bit of a beasting, its been great - already lasted better than the Ohlins it replaced :thumb2

Me too, great value for money.

Thanks Mr Farmer for the Shock Factory feedback. My company is the UK distributor for the Shock Factory, and we can do standard builds & specials.

£350 for single adjustable rear, £450 for double adjustable rear + £50 for a threaded ride height adjuster. £200 for single adjustable front shocks. We don't charge a different price for different bikes.
We also do single adjustable twin shocks for your classic.
We do over and under length builds for free and will fit a spring to suit your weight.
Everything includes a C spanner, 2 year warranty and delivery.

https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/shock-absorbers

Shock factory :thumb2. Was going to go for Matris for my Guzzi then saw a recommendation from mikeyboy about the Shock factory. Spoke with Mike Capon direct, couldn't have been more helpful. Shocks can be built to your individual weight and riding style. Going to place an order as soon as available. (currently on test for my model). Very reasonable price as well. Hope that helps.
Cheers, ron.

Back
Top Bottom