Anyone used Holan panniers?

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Found Holan panniers online and they look ok rather than great, but have different sizes which may suit me for solo / with Mrs trips.

The website is poor so hard to find out how they attach, if they are secure, can you get inner bags (guessing not)

But if they go on / off easily and won't fall apart in 5 minutes might try them.

A pal had them, and I gave them a critical look-over. Very impressed with them, and I don’t think I’ve heard a bad word from anyone.

Found Holan panniers online and they look ok rather than great, but have different sizes which may suit me for solo / with Mrs trips.

The website is poor so hard to find out how they attach, if they are secure, can you get inner bags (guessing not)

But if they go on / off easily and won't fall apart in 5 minutes might try them.

I think that’s what my mate (Russ996 on here) has on his (despite getting the stock KTM items with the new bike!)
He’s very happy with them.:thumb

Hi Rasher

Yes been using Holans for a while now - originally on a Triumph and then on my 1190 and 1290 KTM's.

Robust enough and fit well and yes they do inner bags for them.

Racks fit on 2 of the 3 fixings points each side for the KTM mounts plus at the bottom of the pillion footpegs. The latter makes it a little more difficult getting your foot on the centre stand but you get used to it.

The box's fit to the rails and lock on from the inside so not mega quick to remove. Only other annoying thing is the top of the boxes are narrower where the lid seals and so the when taking out a full inner bag it tends to pull the seal off at the same time.

Have a look here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/holan-nomada-pannier-racks-fitting-to-1x90-adv.1323311/#post-35315450

Otherwise very pleased with them and will keep mine for years and just swap frames if I ever change bikes again.

Thanks, might give them a go if they can do a good deal on 4 boxes. I think even the big ones are much narrower than mine.

Thanks, might give them a go if they can do a good deal on 4 boxes. I think even the big ones are much narrower than mine.
Agree with what Paul s says
Top box is bolted onto plate not easy to swap off
Panniers narrower than std with their frames but only by a few cms but better for filtering!
They are easier than TB to fit remove but not by much
The plain Ali version marks easily!
They weigh about half what the old bread bins weighed!
Nolan didn’t do a frame mounted tool box I bought a Spanish one and made it fit!
Locks good but take car on orientation when fitting to ensure consistent direction of operation
Nola n comms suck but delivery took place quite quickly anyway
Quality of frame paint poor I got mine powder coated
Fitting was easy no thanks to their poor instruction sheet
I sent them a revised version written in real English don’t know if they adopted it
HTH

Thanks all,

I am a bit worried about the pannier fitting, it sounds to me as if there are nuts / bolts on the inside of the pannier that could come loose, particularly when panniers not loaded, these could also catch on the inner bag potentially ripping it or damaging stuff inside when you pull the bag out.

Also with holes drilled in the pannier for it to fit I would expect it to leak sooner or later.

I also sometimes like to remove the panniers if I am going to be stopped for a few days and do not fancy riding around with empty boxes, not too keen on having to spend half an hour or more removing the panniers every few days whilst away.

I am used to Givi Trekker Outback and SW Moteh Trax (Used for last 7 years) with both of these putting panniers on / off is less than 30 seconds work for both sides, also the boxes have no holes drilled so therefore are very watertight and the mount systems seem pretty robust (i.e. unlikely the pannier will drop off) The only downside to both of these is the sheer width, they do not even get the rails close to the bike to start with.

I have now also found reports that the Holan rails do not always fit properly and may need some "adjusting" to make them line up, and that the boxes are not pre-drilled so every box will have its mount holes in a slightly different spot - was hoping to pick up different sized boxes second hand, but this wont work if no two panniers will have the fitting holes in the same place.

May be better off looking for a 2nd hand set of OE cases (original plan) for my solo trips and just dealing with removing and re-fitting Givi rails once or twice a year.

Ok the panniers Do not leak and come already fitted with mountings
The fixture inside consists of a knurled wheel and a domed cover but two to each box
It takes a minute a box to fit or remove I get the licking domed but tight with a spanner but prob not needed
The frames fitted out of box no issues other than crap instruction leaflet but was easy to work around
The fittings do intrude into storage a bit I use pannier bags which are soft enough to not be issue I use a bmw top box bag that is a tight fit when full and has to be pushed in or pulled out but as ever there is a knack to it
Hth

The knurled nut and nylon nut approach is exactly the same as Touratech use and I’ve never damaged pannier liners with it having used that type of mount on a set of panniers supplied by Vern and a set of Touratech ones.

I made four 75mm diameter x 20mm deep nylon nuts to secure my top box and don’t even bother with using a nylon domed nut on top, I put a shakeproof washer under each nut and tighten them by hand then that’s it.

4000 miles in 17 days, many at high speeds...never moved/leaked/loosened and shrugged off clipping a roadside skip (Ooops). Excellent quality kit. :thumb2

Attachments

• F9358F2A-649F-4B10-B56F-E44FD0835754.jpg
    F9358F2A-649F-4B10-B56F-E44FD0835754.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 1187147B-645A-4542-B6BB-1F225FD6198B.jpg
    1187147B-645A-4542-B6BB-1F225FD6198B.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 401
Thanks,

Looking at Website it is cheaper to buy the bits individually, 2 cases, plus rack, plus locks with UK delivery is about £50 cheaper than buying a set!

I have found a pair of the smaller ones for sale second hand so might buy those and get Holan to send me just a set of the larger panniers, that would tick all the boxes (Ha!) and give me a solo and duo touring set without the need to swap bracketry around.

I assume these are about as secure as any other panniers - i.e. not easy for someone to wander off with or open up, but a half determined thief with tools could easily break the lock / unbolt panniers.

Thanks,

Looking at Website it is cheaper to buy the bits individually, 2 cases, plus rack, plus locks with UK delivery is about £50 cheaper than buying a set!

I have found a pair of the smaller ones for sale second hand so might buy those and get Holan to send me just a set of the larger panniers, that would tick all the boxes (Ha!) and give me a solo and duo touring set without the need to swap bracketry around.

I assume these are about as secure as any other panniers - i.e. not easy for someone to wander off with or open up, but a half determined thief with tools could easily break the lock / unbolt panniers.

As secure as the oem ones nothing will resist a determined crowbar!
Locks good and less fraught than plasticky oem versions

I would check your sums with Nolan before moving forward seems strange if price diff exists they usually are good at avoiding these anomalies!

My mistake, I missed the pannier fitting kit, not the rails for the bike, but the panniers as they come are not ready to attach to the rails.

Really liking the look, but hard to understand how they remain watertight with great big hole drilled through for the mounting bolt.

They quoted £771.43 with all fittings and locks including delivery (at todays exchange rate) must of been a bargain when I bought my 1190 3 years ago!! the smaller ones are only €10 less.

E-Mailed asking for price of large boxes on their own (with all gubbins) as if I can save a few quid by buying the smaller used set and then just ordering a spare pair of boxes in the larger size then that is what I will do. If that falls through I will ask about a deal for 4 boxes and one set of rails,

If got holan on mine, have no issue's at all, I was told that they used to make them for touratec before they branched out on there own, don't actually know If that was true but mine look very similar to a friends touratec ones, the only issue I had is they took awhile for my frames to be delivered around 4 weeks amend it very hard to contact anyone unless you can speak polish and call.

Attachments

• 20180901_171118.jpg
    20180901_171118.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 414
The bolt is probably an M12 and you’ve got a considerable contact patch between the plastic nut and the panniers inner surface so it’s going to be a struggle for rain to get past that. Ok, mine were Touratech puck sets so there’ll be small differences but I put silicon sealant behind the pucks so nothing could get past them and in through the screws securing them to the panniers where there’s nothing on the inside and if I knew I was going away for a couple of weeks I used to put a light smear of food grade grease on the face of the plastic nut that contacted the pannier.

I’d guess you’ll use pannier inner bags as well so unless they’re sitting in a puddle because water is getting in through the seams you’ll be fine.

Mine have always been 100% watertight including some rain of biblical proportions ;)

I use them.

Completely waterproof so far. Completely secure so far.

I have 2 sets....smaller for solo, larger for 2 up hols....being careful, I only have 1 set of locks and 1 set of hangers, which I swap over twice a year. I put the hangers on the panniers....measure twice, drill once.....still got it wrong, but no leakage through the (sealed with helicopter tape) extraneous holes.

A bit of a faff getting the inners(Kreiga KS40's) in and out through the top, but perfectly doable.

Would I get them again?

Certainly.

Having problems getting the muppets at Holan to quote on a pair of larger boxes.

Found a used set with the small boxes, so I though it would be easy to ask them to price a pair of the larger boxes - basically a large kit less the pannier racks.

This seems to of confused the crap out of them, they are going on about needing pictures of the rails before they can tell if the panniers will fit - FFS!!!

I even gave them the original order number they supplied the small set with and this seems to of sent them into melt-down.

Overall I get a terrible feeling about ordering anything from these clowns!

I used them for frames and bars. Yes, hard to get a quick and succinct answer to queries etc. No e mail or tel answer for a week or so, but they do eventually get there. The product was solid when it did arrive. I was impressed. Can't help on the boxes though....

Still nothing back from Holan, sent a follow up a few days ago, but well over a week since the e-mail when I gave them pictures of my current setup and the original order number it was supplied under.

I have now bought the used set, but I am also now 100% certain I will need the larger boxes for trips away with the Mrs as the small "31L" box would of been 31L before they cut a chunk out, so is probably only a shade over 20L now.

How hard can it be to supply a pair of panniers to fit onto your own rails?

I am not sure if they are completely stupid, don't bother reading / replying to e-mails or just cannot translate my requirements properly.

Might have to try and find a Polish Translator for this one!

Back
Top Bottom