New member - not yet a GS owner

Grow up people. You can disagree without throwing insults at each other. No one else is interested in reading it least of all the op just looking for advice.

Aside from the usual bubbling paint near where the cylinder joins the main body of the engine, or on the swingarm (especially if not protected with a hugger or rear Mudsling) the quickest way to spot a poorly cared-for bike is to look at the brake callipers. Is the banjo bolt furred up? Is the Brembo writing in the callipers face tarnished? How about the retaining pin? On an ex-approved used bike left on a dealer forecourt all autumn/winter or a bike ridden all seasons and not looked after, you’ll always see all of the above (I have seen this more than once on demo bikes or even 3-month old pre-reg bikes on the forecourt). You’ll never see it on a well cared-for bike. Then the usual checks like front and rear shocks, the inside of the fork where the front mudguard hides potential corrosion and the inside of the swingarm and centre stand cross piece, as these both get a pounding. Missing screen circlips on earlier bikes could result in the screen mechanism falling apart (they changed the mounting sometime in 2016 I believe) and cold heated grips on pre 2015 bikes are the only other common issues. Buy from a dealer with a 2-year warranty or used with either extended or balance of approved used warranty. I have a 2015 RS and there is not a spot of corrosion or furring anywhere, so it perfectly possible to get a 2015 GS that is mint - don’t touch it if you see corrosion as it’s likely the whole engine, swingarm and rear subframe will follow suit!

Grow up people. You can disagree without throwing insults at each other. No one else is interested in reading it least of all the op just looking for advice.

lol you've been here since July, have 96 posts, and telling people what to do in here? bwahahahahaha

what is the relevance of time or post count to acting like children. It’s just common courtesy, and the fact your on the net or have 2 million posts doesn’t change that.

lol you've been here since July, have 96 posts, and telling people what to do in here? bwahahahahaha

What possible difference does his time & post count make?? You think his opinion & suggestion is only valid if he has been here for years & has a million posts? Pathetic!
His is one of the more sensible posts.

Take no notice of the nay sayers buy the bike enjoy it go to Europe with the lady on the back and make some great memories I’m on my fourth one and no trouble oh and If you want any route recommendations let me know

Buy the bike, it's under Warranty, get on with it and have fun.

They are very good bikes.

Aside from the usual bubbling paint near where the cylinder joins the main body of the engine, or on the swingarm (especially if not protected with a hugger or rear Mudsling) the quickest way to spot a poorly cared-for bike is to look at the brake callipers. Is the banjo bolt furred up? Is the Brembo writing in the callipers face tarnished? How about the retaining pin? On an ex-approved used bike left on a dealer forecourt all autumn/winter or a bike ridden all seasons and not looked after, you’ll always see all of the above (I have seen this more than once on demo bikes or even 3-month old pre-reg bikes on the forecourt). You’ll never see it on a well cared-for bike. Then the usual checks like front and rear shocks, the inside of the fork where the front mudguard hides potential corrosion and the inside of the swingarm and centre stand cross piece, as these both get a pounding. Missing screen circlips on earlier bikes could result in the screen mechanism falling apart (they changed the mounting sometime in 2016 I believe) and cold heated grips on pre 2015 bikes are the only other common issues. Buy from a dealer with a 2-year warranty or used with either extended or balance of approved used warranty. I have a 2015 RS and there is not a spot of corrosion or furring anywhere, so it perfectly possible to get a 2015 GS that is mint - don’t touch it if you see corrosion as it’s likely the whole engine, swingarm and rear subframe will follow suit!

Thanks for the response, definitely things for me to check. Like the advice earlier i think i will have to view the bike in person even if it is form a BMW dealer. The video they send is ok but nothing can replace actually viewing the bike in person. It will mean a bit of travelling to view the bikes at dealers but better to get the right one.
Thanks again it has been useful getting advice what to look for.

Take no notice of the nay sayers buy the bike enjoy it go to Europe with the lady on the back and make some great memories I’m on my fourth one and no trouble oh and If you want any route recommendations let me know

Thanks

No point sugar coating ownership of a GSA
Even with these problems, I’m keeping mine.

Oh and don’t forget it eats through rear pads and discs

I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads

Nearly ready for my 3rd rear disc too.
16600 miles from new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying that you change the rear disc after approx 8,000 miles or is your mileage quoted a misprint. I did over 50,000 miles on my 2014 gsa without changing the rear disc or front for that matter. Is it wear or some other reason? JJH

Are you saying that you change the rear disc after approx 8,000 miles or is your mileage quoted a misprint. I did over 50,000 miles on my 2014 gsa without changing the rear disc or front for that matter. Is it wear or some other reason? JJH

Exactly right, it's not normal at all for these bikes and doesn't make much sense.

Exactly right, it's not normal at all for these bikes and doesn't make much sense.

+1

I use my rear brake ALL THE TIME, for slow riding control and trail braking occasionally....

Done 13,500 miles now and changed the pads once, even they had more than enough to carry on, but my personal preference was to change them at the 12000 mile regular service.

Disc wear is nothing.... front discs and pads are very good still.

Quote "I’ve lost count the amount I’ve changed pads, Nearly ready for my 3rd rear disc too, 16600 miles from new"

This statement is definitely not normal. :blast

Why you would even write it here, when it's obviously such a specific one off thing that most will never experience? :blast

+1

I use my rear brake ALL THE TIME, for slow riding control and trail braking occasionally....

Done 13,500 miles now and changed the pads once, even they had more than enough to carry on, but my personal preference was to change them at the 12000 mile regular service.

Disc wear is nothing.... front discs and pads are very good still.

Both of my discs are fine too. Makes you wonder what is going on with the bike/rider when a disc needs to be replaced so quickly.

5b43cf0f9cb67f2dbb929757de852a54.jpg
0ac4c8e7173b9147db722e6f19549c34.jpg

No not saying that.
1st disc was at 1150 miles, including pads under warranty due to calliper seizure and the disc going blue from heat.

I’m on 2nd disc and needs changing soon as it’s near minimum thickness
Counting up I’m on 4th set of rear pads and only 2nd set of fronts.

I don’t use the rear brake at all but it still eats through them.
I ride on dynamic setting all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not saying that.
1st disc was at 1150 miles, including pads under warranty due to calliper seizure and the disc going blue from heat.

I’m on 2nd disc and needs changing soon as it’s near minimum thickness
Counting up I’m on 4th set of rear pads and only 2nd set of fronts.

I don’t use the rear brake at all but it still eats through them.
I ride on dynamic setting all the time.

But that wear rate is so not normal it's worrying....

Ok the guy with the left side brake pad so worn. That in my experience is the caliper sticking. That’s quite easy to avoid if you regularly push the caliper with your foot it stops it sticking in the sliders. You had a replacement disc at 11,500 so you have had aprox 5000 miles out of a new disc. There’s something else going on there. What mpg are you getting? JJH

Agree.

21k on my gs and 2 sets of rear pads. I think your rear caliper has s problem.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom