New member - not yet a GS owner

To the op. Sorry your thread seem to have been hijacked. It doesn’t change anything about your question. The gs/a is a good bike and you won’t regret buying one. JJH

To the op. Sorry your thread seem to have been hijacked. It doesn’t change anything about your question. The gs/a is a good bike and you won’t regret buying one. JJH

No problem at all, certainly gives me info and things to check when viewing bikes.

If you do decide to go for the GSA Lc the TE version is the most popular choice as it tends to have most of the factory options. There is the XE which is a bit more basic but still a good option and then there is the absolute basic model which offers a significant saving against the TE but is less popular. If you don't want all the toys then you may want to consider the two lower spec varients.
If you want luggage then better to buy one with it already fitted as can be expensive to buy afterwards but can be a good bargaining point at point of purchase....

Don't be put off by the doom mongers here. My 2013 gs has covered 47k miles with no corrosion and no problems. It is main dealer serviced annually. I have no need to change for a newer model.

Unless you need to do 300 miles without filling up or plan to go off road, the adventure is unnecessary, imho. The standard gs is a fantastic all-rounder, either solo or with a pillion.

There are some great bikes for sale on this site and, although a dealer warranty is potentially useful, a 2015 bike should have had any issues sorted by now, particularly corrosion.

Subscribe to this forum and see what becomes available as more members choose to update to the 1250.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, as well as some useful advice you've already had a glimpse of the unique GSer 'culture'.....:rolleyes:

Stick around and enjoy it, there's some great advice here and some fine, enthusiastic people. Good luck finding your bike.

Paul G

I picked up my '16 R1200GS Triple Black from Ocean Plymouth back in June 2017. Some nice bits such as engine bars and luggage came with the bike - this was very handy as the purchase was made in order to go touring two up around Europe and so saved me having to source luggage elsewhere. Went touring Europe last August and the bike was faultless the whole time. The GS is a most excellent touring tool which can still be fun to ride even when loaded with luggage, rider and pillion

I was advised by mates (who had ridden both GS and GSA) to go for the GS version unless I really wanted/needed the extra tank range of the GSA. As the GSA is heavier, it's a little more effort when maneuvering by hand and is maybe a little less flickable in the twisties due to the extra weight.

I've had no issues with corrosion on the bike at all, though a mate with a GS of the same year (with less mileage) has plenty of small rust spots on the subframe. He doesn't commute and the bike lives indoors, and he's currently chasing BMW for a warranty fix.

Make sure you peep at its shaft!

The rubber boot that seals the paralever to the final drive can sometimes have holes or not be fitted properly which allows water in to destroy the shaft. I believe BMW stopped lubricating them at some point.
Its a real easy job to just remove the wheel, undo a couple of bolts and drop the FD, lube the splines and UJ and reverse. 10 minute job, either get the dealer to do it and show you or do it yourself.

There has been a list a problems across the lifespan some more serious than others, but then 1000's of bikes must roll off BMW's production line, my view is buying 2nd hand with about 15K miles will generally give time for problems to show up and be sorted if its anything serious.

If your only riding on the road though...why buy something designed for offroad use, its a compromise? The RT is better bike for road use than a GS.

Also don't put the bike away wet after washing, the water sits in the bolt wells on the front casing causing corrosion. If you wash it either blow the water off or run the engine to dry it off.

Make sure you peep at its shaft!

The rubber boot that seals the paralever to the final drive can sometimes have holes or not be fitted properly which allows water in to destroy the shaft. I believe BMW stopped lubricating them at some point.
Its a real easy job to just remove the wheel, undo a couple of bolts and drop the FD, lube the splines and UJ and reverse. 10 minute job, either get the dealer to do it and show you or do it yourself.

There has been a list a problems across the lifespan some more serious than others, but then 1000's of bikes must roll off BMW's production line, my view is buying 2nd hand with about 15K miles will generally give time for problems to show up and be sorted if its anything serious.

If your only riding on the road though...why buy something designed for offroad use, its a compromise? The RT is better bike for road use than a GS.

Also don't put the bike away wet after washing, the water sits in the bolt wells on the front casing causing corrosion. If you wash it either blow the water off or run the engine to dry it off.

I agree with most of the above except the advice to buy a rt. As you say not to buy a gs unless going off road. I’d hazard a guess that very few gs/gsa ever go off road unless to the supermarket carpark. None of mine ever did except for the grass in the camp site. There’s only one way to scratch the gs itch. I have a rt at the moment but hanker after a gsa. JJH

JJH, your correct most never do which is a shame. The GS has become the two wheeled chelsea tractor. Whether you choose a GS or RT depends on how much pragmatism features in your reasoning. If I wasnt trail riding on mine I'd have an RT every time, much better road bikes because they are purely designed for that purpose. Equally as are the versys and x-dresser.

I found my GS to be a superb tourer, even two-up with luggage. Better than the Triumph Trophy (RT lookalike) which it replaced. More comfortable for rider and pillion, cooler in the summer for rider and no turbulent airflow for the pillion, which the Trophy suffered from. Also more luggage space, same power, and about 100kg less weight than the new Goldwing.

Call it what you like the gs is a very good road bike. Better than some “road” bikes. JJH

Call it what you like the gs is a very good road bike. Better than some “road” bikes. JJH

Ho yus. :beerjug:

I tested a R1200R LC some months before I ever got on a GS. I was a bit underwhelmed. Some months later I tried the GS - and had my Euraka monent!

I was led to believe the RT has slightly different final drive ratio which means when cruising at 75mph the revs are 500 lower then a GS.

Of course I could be talking Bollox as usual

The GS looks the better bike for wannabe dreamers of travelling to long lost places which includes me:D

Your correct. I must say you don’t really notice it while riding at speed which sounds stupid but you do notice at lower speeds for instance a 3rd gear corner is better in 2nd on the rt. JJH

Culture is a good word... I'd use Infestation.... :D

I would use descriptions such as (some apply to me:D)

egotistic, sensitive, knob jockeys, piss takers, aggressive, wankers, funny, bull shitters, honest, helpful, knowledgeable and opinionated. How many of these descriptions apply to the members of this site?

Back
Top Bottom