ABS Sensor well and truly stuck

dub 24

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey I recently got hold of a second 1150gs ADV as a project, it's a 2003 with only 50km on it and mechanically it's sound as it was serviced regularly even though it wasn't used a whole lot. The cosmetic side however didn't fair as well as it was stored outside under a cover and this is going to be the bulk of the work I'm doing so to that end I am pulling it apart. The problem is every nut,bolt, fixture fitting is literally welded to it which brings me to my reason for posting and seeking advice from all of you wise and educated individuals. I was trying to remove the abs sensor and it is stuck solid and no amount of heating the casing lubing the sensor could loosen it and because of my ham fistedness it broke. I fully deserve all the names ye are calling me while reading this but would ask if any body has any advice on how to remove the remaining piece I would greatly appreciate it . I am not to worried about the paint work on the drive as it is coming off for painting anyway. I have posted a picture for you to see what I have to work with.
Cheers and thanks in advance for all ridiculing and advice

Attachments

• 20190113_162549.jpg
    20190113_162549.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 20190113_162523.jpg
    20190113_162523.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 262
I’m sure there may be good reason why not, but my first thought would be to remove the wheel and smack it through from the other side with a suitably sized socket?

(It pokes all the way through, right?)

As Gabriel says as that is how I removed mine. Use a bit of silicone spray when installing your NEW one.
Check the internal bore for any Corrosion and use fine gritty clean out.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers lads for the replies, that is exactly what I will do .
Dub 24

For some reason once fitted, and bearing in mind they are plastic, they have a tendancy to expand locking them tightly into the metal. I was changing my left hand fork outer leg and had to hacksaw the old mounting in order to get the sensor out. I had to "sand" it down to remove the bulge that you could physically see. Bizarre but it is a BMW ;-)

Well folks went at the offending bar steward this morning and with a Russian screwdriver and a socket it tapped out from the inside many thanks to you all for the help .

Attachments

• 20190118_124337.jpg
    20190118_124337.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 113
Looks a bit neglected, good to see it getting some love.

I wish you all the luck in the world when you get around to removing the exhaust studs :thumby: :popcorn

Yer not wrong about the exhaust studs considering the hardship I've had with nuts and bolts on this bike already. We'll get there it will take time tears and a few curses:eh:eh
Cheers for the encouragement

Back
Top Bottom