Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mugello 2018 - Tour 1 Ride Report

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I’m in Khulu

My place is 30 mins from the tunnel if you ever fancy a lay-up before crossing

Quote Originally Posted by g00ner View Post
    I’m in Khulu

My place is 30 mins from the tunnel if you ever fancy a lay-up before crossing
    Thanks very much for the kind offer, I may take you up on that one day.
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

We saw you in Scarperia last year, one of my Scottish friends was talking to you. We parked in the 'secure' bike park up near the entrance and had to carry all of our camping gear into the circuit then lock the bike gear in the luggage in case it was stolen from the tent. Not ideal as we also expected to camp next to our bikes. We used the DFDS ferry from North Shields to Ijmuiden, which is OK on cost if you can fill the cabin berths. We went down to Switzerland for a few days then back up the RDGA after we left Mugello, but the top half above Briancon was still closed with snow.

Quote Originally Posted by trancey View Post
    We saw you in Scarperia last year, one of my Scottish friends was talking to you. We parked in the 'secure' bike park up near the entrance and had to carry all of our camping gear into the circuit then lock the bike gear in the luggage in case it was stolen from the tent. Not ideal as we also expected to camp next to our bikes. We used the DFDS ferry from North Shields to Ijmuiden, which is OK on cost if you can fill the cabin berths. We went down to Switzerland for a few days then back up the RDGA after we left Mugello, but the top half above Briancon was still closed with snow.
    I remember that too! It sounds like you had a great trip as well! The likes of the Col d'Iseran doesn't open before the second week in June, at the earliest. I love it at Scarperia but I'm not going this year because of all the hassle last June. I hope to get a campervan next summer so my misses and I will go in that which is a real shame because it's bike racing for, primarily, bikers.

Great report mate, and some really good pics.

Blog Entries
    Ironic isn't it that bikers aren't welcome at the campsite at Moto GPs?
    I was chatting to Giacomo Agostini after the Valencia Moto GP this year. He shook my hand and said how nice it was to see someone going to a motorbike race on a motorbike.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaloy View Post
    Ironic isn't it that bikers aren't welcome at the campsite at Moto GPs?
    I was chatting to Giacomo Agostini after the Valencia Moto GP this year. He shook my hand and said how nice it was to see someone going to a motorbike race on a motorbike.
    It is ironic isn't it; and it's really annoying too!
    You met the legend Giacomo Agostini!!!! I'm not worthy.
    My wife and I were there too but we flew over and tried to get trains but ended up in taxis - transport both ways was a nightmare and the weather was pish!
    I have, however, shaken hands with Graziano Rossi - I know he's not a Giacomo but his boy's done not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Khulu View Post
    I remember that too! It sounds like you had a great trip as well! The likes of the Col d'Iseran doesn't open before the second week in June, at the earliest. I love it at Scarperia but I'm not going this year because of all the hassle last June. I hope to get a campervan next summer so my misses and I will go in that which is a real shame because it's bike racing for, primarily, bikers.
    When we were returning from Mugello we thought it would be a bit of a laugh to ride around the road closed signs and try to get over the Col d’Iseran and at first all seemed well with a few bits of mud and debris on the road that we easily rode around then the snow at the sides of the road got deep and all of a sudden we hit a solid wall of snow about 10’ high

It was particularly annoying because we could see the ski lifts at the top probably only 1/2 mile in front and it cost us an extra 50 miles or so because of our misguided sense of adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic893 View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    I'll try and load 2018 - Tour 2 Ride Report tomorrow morning.

Thanks for sharing your travels and the little tips like parking on the tunnel, so obvious but i never gave it a thought before.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    When we were returning from Mugello we thought it would be a bit of a laugh to ride around the road closed signs and try to get over the Col d’Iseran and at first all seemed well with a few bits of mud and debris on the road that we easily rode around then the snow at the sides of the road got deep and all of a sudden we hit a solid wall of snow about 10’ high

It was particularly annoying because we could see the ski lifts at the top probably only 1/2 mile in front and it cost us an extra 50 miles or so because of our misguided sense of adventure
    Ha, same with us at the Col de la Bonette, we went over the Col but that last short loop at the top had a wall of snow to stop us getting around.

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic893 View Post
    Absolutely...

Superb..

Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Thanks Khulu, great report and pics!
    Climate is what you hope for, weather is what you get!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123