Changing Battery over to standby one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowerboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike in storage over winter and no access to electricity and my CK charger, I keep a good 2nd battery at home being maintained by my charger, Is it ok to make up a lead and connect to that battery and fit a Din plug to the other end, then plug the Din into the Aux socket, then remove the bike battery for charging at home, all this parlarva because I don’t want to lose any stored info including Service interval, Will this work or does anyone have a better solution? Thanks guys.

You seem to be going to a lot of trouble with leads ect. Why not bring your charged up battery to your lockup and connect to your bike battery with jumpleads? Leave on for 24 hours. It won’t give a huge boost to your bike battery but will stop it going flat. Or just swap batterys. I’m not sure why you would lose your stored information but certainly not while swapping them. JJH

Don't believe you would lose info by taking the battery off.
It'll be written to some non-volatile memory.
Get the battery off and take it home.

And, don't leave it on the charger all winter. It's not necessary.
Just top it off the day before you put it back on.

Don't believe you would lose info by taking the battery off.
It'll be written to some non-volatile memory.
Get the battery off and take it home.

And, don't leave it on the charger all winter. It's not necessary.
Just top it off the day before you put it back on.

Because you do ... the date gets "lost" and therefore the bike thinks it needs a service !
I just disconnect battery (1 terminal - other is a bollocks) - never charge , reconnect x months later and go.
.. then plug in GS911 and input date ... order restored.

We did this not long ago Solar chargers got mentioned is that an option for you? Put it on the shed roof maybe to save faffing swapping iykwim? It would need connecting to the battery not the aux socket btw

:beerjug:

I do what JJH suggests, fit spare battery after 3-4 weeks of storage, leave on for a few days disconnect, repeat after 3-4 weeks then re charge spare battery and repeat cycle.

Al.

What charger do you guys use? I had an Oxford Optimiser that lasted about two charges. I bought it in Andorra so forget about teh warranty ...

If you use an 'intelligent' dribble charger how do you know when the charging cycle is over?

Cheers

Simon

Because you do ... the date gets "lost" and therefore the bike thinks it needs a service !
I just disconnect battery (1 terminal - other is a bollocks) - never charge , reconnect x months later and go.
.. then plug in GS911 and input date ... order restored.

If we are talking about a Wethead, that is not the case. The manual simply says: Adjust the Time and Date in the Settings menu.
Agreed if the battery is unplugged for a significant amount of time, but if we are talking about a battery swap then all is good.

Optimate here and it has a number of lights to display where it is in the charging cycle:thumb2

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...-charging-question?highlight=charging+battery

Wow! But which model? I have two bikes, an 200 cc Beta Alp with a tiny battery and a 650 BMW X-Country with a larger one. I also have a Lada Niva down there but that seems to thrive in the freezing damo conditions -my parking is in the undeground section of a block of flats in a town which is subject to prolonged, freezing fog as temperatures well belwo zero all winter ...

Regs

Simon

If you use an 'intelligent' dribble charger how do you know when the charging cycle is over?

CTEK models have lights but, the whole point is, you leave the charger permanently connected when the battery is not in use.

CTEK models have lights but, the whole point is, you leave the charger permanently connected when the battery is not in use.

That's what iI thought, but with two batteries to maintain i'd have to swap 'em over at some point ...

Thanks for remimding about CTEC too. :)

Simon

Thanks for all replies guys, and sorry for the delay in getting back, wife had to go in for major heart surgery, all now back to normal, re: Battery change, have 2xCTek chargers (which of course I can’t use except on spare battery at home) but friend advised on one of these new fangeled jump starters, a bit like a power bank but the size of 2x cig packets, claimed to be able to start a 2.5 litre Diesel Jeep, bought one less than £50 from Amazon, worked a treat a jump started a friends car, really surprised, so will stick with that until the battery gives up the ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom