250 Rally transport wheel

corky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bought a Vito, then the Rally--problem is its too high to get in, even with screen off--forks need to be compressed and its a clart-on.
Thoughts are to remove the front wheel(never done it for 30 years or so--so dont know that much) and then to get a very small wheel from somewhere, fit spacers if I have to, and use it to get in and out of van. Was thinking of a wheel barrow wheel--but dont know spindle diameter etc.

Anyone got any thoughts on it---apart from me being a numpty buying the wrong van.

Ps could be a nice van going V6 auto cruise etc:mad:

Thanks,

Bill

How much height reduction are you looking for? Removing the front wheel sounds like a right PITA.

I've seen MX guys, who take height out of the front by using a ratchet strap between the bottom yoke & the front wheel. Maybe couple this with a drop in tyre pressure & you should find a good few inches. Some say reversing the bike in helps, but it must be marginal & difficult without a helper.

Nice van BTW; Is it a Jap import? - they liked the petrol V6 Auto with the old 18v motor. Super smooth.

I got a simple 8 inch dia nylon wheel off a large rubbish tub which had a 25mm dia hole though it made a simple bush for the axel and a bigger bush/spacer either side of Nylon wheel - so it stayed in middle.
Dont forget to fit a spacer jobby in the caliper to stop yer pumpin the piston out. It was good for me sertao and DRZ

Thanks everyone, will go down the wheel barrow route, wasn't certain on the shaft diameters. I will post if it works.
Yes would have forgot the spacer to stop the bakes popping--I think.

I tried the ratchet strapping, but need such a height drop it was hard--had to ratchet 1 side then the next etc.

A wheel barrow wheel should 5 ins--6 with soft pressure. Van up forsale if it doesn't. I have done a detailed design for a rear carrier--might also try that before van change. The van is an extra long wheel base, so the lever arm from the wheels is quite long.

Squibb34--van not an import, but not that many about--great spec,v6, cruise, captains chairs, command centre and more. Love it, but a little heavy on juice--36-37 at 72mph--but is worth it. Being the xtra long, the bike will go in and there is still room for a second row of seats albeit tipped forward,

Thanks again,

Bill

Like this :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1547590341626.jpg
    FB_IMG_1547590341626.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 109
Axle....unless you're talking about a character from "Guns n Roses". :D

However, in this application, it's not an axle anyway...it's a spindle.

You might want to check with a less pendantic dictionary (ie. a ukgser) or similar because a spindle is an axle :)

You might want to check with a less pendantic dictionary (ie. a ukgser) or similar because a spindle is an axle :)

It's a matter of using the correct terminology....in this application in UK English it's a spindle.

Much like people calling yokes triple clamps or triple tees.

Back
Top Bottom