Gore texJackets

Resurecting an old thread. After much procrastination and a good deal of advice, I made my decision after a visit to the great team at Motolegends. We had to travel the length of the country, but there I was able to try various brands of jacket and get what I thought to be very sensible suggestions.
I eventually fell for the Stadler Supervent 3.
It took a bit of time to sort delivery, but I'm glad I waited. The fit is good, though it's not the most supple of jackets, it feels great. So good that I've since bought some Stadler trousers to replace an ageing pair of Rukkas.
To be honest I've not spent and age wearing either jacket or trousers and have not been for a multi day tour, but have been using them for days out. I got caught in a downpour whilst riding in the Borders last week and remained perfectly dry.
There are perhaps jackets out there that are marginally more comfortable, but to be honest I can put up with stiff shoulder pads as long as I have the confidence that they will do their job and that I remain dry and warm. The Stadler ticks all the boxes for me.
Expensive but worth it.

If a particular manufacturer's fit and sizing doesn't match you, there's little point worrying about some of the finer points.

I still use my Hen Gericke Tuareg with the removable Goretex lining from time to time. It's great in summer as open vents are properly open vents - no windproof layer to get through which you have on so many "vented" jackets with a Goretex or Someothertex lining. And because the Goretex lining isn't being used all the time (or being washed so often) it's in great condition.

I've just got a new (to me) Dane Sealand and the fit is perfect and it feels like it's really well made. It's latest generation Goretex Pro3 so when you open the vents there is decent ventilation. I love the magnetic collar, the crotch strap so it stays in place whatever trousers I wear, and the wrist waterproofing stretchy lining thing. It's not perfect though - the wrist zips work their way open very easily and the front vent zips - which are allegedly waterproof - are supposed to tuck into a little fabric housing at the top. It's tricky to get the zip slider tucked in, though that might improve over time. I've ridden it in light rain and it was 100% waterproof, and over the Easter heatwave weekend when it was nicely vented too.

If I'd bought it new I might be asking questions about the niggles. As it is I got it for a reasonable price so I'm happy enough.

Thanks guys, some good info there. I really like the idea of the Stadler, its expensive yes but reviews are good. The only issue is Mototolegends is at the other end of the country for me, so there are issues with trying it on and comparing. So, I think probably Rukka is going to be the way to go. I'll go to Custom Lids in Newcastle and have a chat.
Thanks again.

If going to Newcastle pay a visit to Hermod on Team valley Try on a Scott 3 layer goretex definitely worth a look

A friend has just spent a lot of time trying all sorts of kit from all manufacturers and decided on Held as the best option. I've seen it and it is definitely packed with loads of features, and has a removable Goretex Pro lining you can also put on outside the jacket as a temporary measure if you're using it in summer weather (and also as a cagoule style jacket off the bike).

He thoroughly recommended Sports Bike Shop somewhere up on the grim industrial North of England as they had a really huge range of styles and sizes so he could try lots of different options in one hit rather than second guessing what size might fit.

Back
Top Bottom