‘Base’ GSA1250; madness?

Yeah but ABS and Traction Control won't stop the bike sliding sideways on diesel spills...

So what happened then? :D

It slid, but the riding god behind the handlebars did most of the work :p

I've bought 4 GSA's with just a few extra toys. 2006, 2008, 2013, 2016. Sold them all, without any problem!
Now have Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 with all the toys! Buy what you want, live life the way you want.

ABS saved my bacon a few weeks ago; a car pulled out in front of the one I was following down a NSL and crawled up the road. As I pulled out to pass both, the first car indicated and immediately turned right into a driveway. I stopped 2” from its rear door. My recollection is of the lack of dive, and the feedback through the lever as I felt first the rear, then the front wheels do their ABS judder thing. It had been a while since I’d practiced a full-on emergency stop from 60 mph.

I wouldn’t be without it.

I think the base GS/GSA still has ABS.......or at least I hope it does!!

I think the base GS/GSA still has ABS.......or at least I hope it does!!

ABS is a legal requirement now on all new bikes, regardless of specification.

You puffing your chest or is that a real statement?

I could understand it on a high performance car... but on a motorcycle.... really?

How exactly is it a lot more fun?

My Bandit 1250 loses traction, usually in the wet on a spirited roundabout exit.... tank slappers are not fun except for your mates watching you shit your pants after you've left the seat momentarily...

Nah, not at all, did you read my second post?

I don’t deny TC is a worthwhile safety aid, I’m just saying it’s fun to turn off sometimes.
Don’t forget TC controls what the front wheel does as well as the back.

Andres

I often turn mine off ‘cos it’s a lot more fun.

Feck safety.

End of.

Mind you, that’s on a much more powerful Orange bike :thumb2

Andres

I normally turn mine off in Spain as the light is constantly flashing as the tyres are hot and slide abit and annoys the fuc out of me even tho the its not really kicking in , at least when its off its not flashing all the time , and does make it more fun asyou say , back to the old days of throttle control lol.
Normally leave it on when at home but still switch it off occasionally as the bike will wheelie

Nah, not at all, did you read my second post?

I don’t deny TC is a worthwhile safety aid, I’m just saying it’s fun to turn off sometimes.
Don’t forget TC controls what the front wheel does as well as the back.

Andres

I normally turn mine off in Spain as the light is constantly flashing as the tyres are hot and slide abit and annoys the fuc out of me even tho the its not really kicking in , at least when its off its not flashing all the time , and does make it more fun asyou say , back to the old days of throttle control lol.
Normally leave it on when at home but still switch it off occasionally as the bike will wheelie

Fair enough.

This isn't my riding style on the road, that's why I dont get it :D

I must be getting old :D

Off Road, yes I turn off rear ABS, traction control etc, but never on road :)

ABS is a legal requirement now on all new bikes, regardless of specification.

Thanks dude. That's a relief. I was slightly panicked there - as the bike configurator weirdly omits any mention to it in the 'features' of the base model. On the TE of course, it lists cornering ABS etc - as per my current 2017 TE. Phew.

picked up the bike today:

i-XJVDBPZ-X3.jpg

Very happy with it. Engine is a stonker and fuelling is spot on. A nice change from the kTm.

Going back to the very first page ... I don't imagine for a moment you would have ANY problem selling your GSA at any time ... bought my brand spanking last June from those lovely chaps at Bahnstormer Alton ... and I had exactly what I WANTED ... you should too. Go for it, it is a brilliant bloody brilliant bit of kit :)

I tried to buy a basic GSA 18 months ago , no way was it available . But TE was in stock . Got a good deal on it and it has been trouble free . It’s a mk 3 I suppose so best of the lot GSA 1200 TE version . If things go wrong you can convert it to a basic , but I like the extras , gear shift pro for example is fantastic as is keyless . I’ve had basic GSA TC’s and they are just that . With the possibility of extending warranties I don’t see the problem of buying the full fat TE . But hey I’ve just bought a 10 year old Enfield , that takes you back to being a mechanic. Love it

The SH market appears to be at an all time low at the moment,

Late airheads are going for more than TE spec LC's in some cases

One dealer is offering an early LC / TE spec,21K on the clock with 2 years warranty for under 8K

And late Hexheads are going for over 8K

A colleague of mine who shipped his 1200LC TE back to Portugal to sell last Easter,

is bringing it back to the UK this easter because there is sod all interest over there.

The only reason the dealer wants a full fat bike is that the resale even when he strips his over fat margin will still make him a profit.

A forecourt of base specs wont hurt him, but he will feel the pinch so to speak lol

The SH LC market appears to be at an all time low at the moment,

One dealer is offering an early LC / TE spec,21K on the clock with 2 years warranty for under 8K

A colleague of mine who shipped his 1200LC TE back to Portugal to sell last Easter,

is bringing it back to the UK this easter because there is sod all interest over there.

The only reason the dealer wants a full fat bike is that the resale even when he strips his over fat margin will still make him a profit.

A forecourt of base specs wont hurt him, but he will feel the pinch so to speak lol

Too many about
New ones cheap to rent at £150/month
Who wants to risked a used bike, even under warranty..............when new is more attractive

The SH market appears to be at an all time low at the moment,

But, what they’re advertised for, and what they’re selling for, are two completely different figures. ;)

1200 TE spec bikes seem more plentiful than non-TE bikes and they do seem to sell well. I guess the logic is "why buy a base spec used when for a little more you can have full fat"?

Kept an eye on a few local dealerships (only one was BMW) and most times a GS or GSA in TE spec rolls in, it doesn't seem to hang about that long if sensibly priced. Lots of ex pcp bikes at 3 years old and 15K miles available for between 10 and 14K depending on mileage and spec/condition. Mine was 2 years old/15K miles, top spec minter GSA with a full set of luggage plus other extras and that was mine for 12K. As long as any bike is well maintained, I wouldn't give a second thought to buying a good used one....and did!

Back
Top Bottom