‘Base’ GSA1250; madness?

Shoestring

Reaction score
Pretty much every recent GS or GSA you see on a Motorrad dealer’s forecourt is a full fat ‘TE’. This is a UK market only package that includes electronic suspension, quick shift, and a whole lot of other bells and whistles. The thing is, the things that might attract me to a new GSA are not on the TE list; mainly the smoother more powerful motor, and a decent screen, so I’ve been seriously considering a ‘base’ GSA and adding a couple of options - grips, tyre pressure. However the dealer I’ve been talking to is trying to dissuade me on the basis that resale would be difficult. I don’t really want to buy a new bike for the next owner; do we really think a base GSA would be unsellable in three years - at any price?

Also, best place to sell my current bike(2011 gsa, 30k, full history, ).

Thanks,

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore them, order what you want....

On a basic bike, the dealer will make less margin..................so no wonder he's pushing you into a TE spec

Fuck'em

I bought a base model GS LC in 2014 and my only regret is that I ordered it with ESA. On a TE you’re just paying a £3k premium for features which you probably don’t want or need and they don’t add that much to the used value.

If I was buying a 4-5 year old GS/GSA I’d want one as simple as possible, not a potential money pit.

My first GS LC was a basic that I had to order. 18 months later I went to PX against a RT and 2 dealers wouldn't quote me! Saying no call for a basic!
So I advertised it myself self,sold,with in the week.
Buy what suits you,there always a buyer for it later down the line.

Re your 2011 GSA. Is it fully loaded? If it's a basic one I don't want it lol

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Is the TE uk only ? I watch a vlog of a tech from a USA dealer and he rides a TE and they have loads in their shop. Same spec as ours it seems.

Re buying a basic, there will be others like u who will want no ESA etc and buy it used, so maybe it only cuts your options as a px not as a sale in general.

I'd say it would be quite hard to sell as the majority will go the full package. it depends on how much you get about getting back on the bike.

The other difficulty with shifting a used basic spec bike down the line is that if a dealer won't take it, then you will have to sell privately, and then you are competing against higher spec bikes from dealers which all come with a two year warranty. Given the less than stellar reliability reputation of current BMW bikes, don't underestimate the attraction of a warranty to used bike buyers. You will sell, but possibly at a price which makes the saving, and forgoing all the extras during your ownership, not worth it.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like there is a market for private sales, but official dealers don’t want to know. I’d keep the bike a few years and past the end of the warranty like my current one, another reason to simplify the spec.

My bike has abs, heated grips, computer and panniers but no ESA (with its potential bork) and a Garmin, so this is my baseline. I’m happy to add panniers and an aftermarket nav. And I’ve never really found having to stick a key into the ignition and turn it before starting the bike to be a big problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was buying a used bike 3 years down the line, I'd prefer a basic one.

Each to his own, but that would be my choice.

Just tell the dealer you’ll have a TE, but you’ll only pay the basic price and he can have first Dibs on it when you’ve finished with it ;)

When I was considering a new GS a few years ago - I intended getting basic spec, sensible additions.......... and Wilbers or Ohlins suspension.

I reckon 3-5yrs on - it would have sold easily.

Both Allan’s Jefferies and Williams were more than happy to take mine part ex when I was looking at changing last year, although it does have ESA :thumby:

Jan 2017 I ordered a new GSA. Spec’d just heated grips and aux lights. The dealer took the order saying delivery would be mid March. Eventually the bike was delivered mid April. They tried twice to get me to change my mind with incentives. When I decided to sell it’s rarity of kind was desirable. There'll be enough on this forum to have a deal when the time comes. Stay firm and order it.

It will most likely be a factory build with a 12 week wait...... the TE models are in stock - so the cash hits their account more quickly.

If i was ordering today !! I’d be buying a basic one.,,

Just tell the dealer the spec you want and if he tries to sell you something different go to a different dealer.

My 2011 gsa was a basic (with options but no esa or abs) and at 3 years old the dealers weren't interested so i kept it an extra 14 months whilst I already had my new 2014 gsa TE and sold it privately for £2000 more (in late 2015) than the highest part ex offered .

In 3 years my TE was nothing but trouble regarding ESA, GSAP and a number of other issues , in good faith I would not have sold it privately so part exed it in late 2017 for a new GSA Basic , fitted with some options ( but no ESA, GSAP keyless,TFT, SOS etc )

Saved myself a few grand BUT I no longer have the worry of over complicated electronics that I do not want or need , the new bike easily outperforms any one of the numerous ESA equipped LC models I have ridden and BMW techs always comment of how stable and comfortable the handling is .

Initially when the Basic arrived BMW had forgotten to install 2 of the ordered options and one required a factory written ECU update that even they were unsure would work , BMW UK told the dealer to offer me a straight swap for an unregistered GSA TE on the showroom floor (it had TFT, GSAP ,SOS, keyless etc ) and were most miffed when I told them to FRO and they either fixed my Basic or ordered me a new one from the factory with the options I specified .

I intended my 2014 TE to be a keeper but after over £5000 of warranty work in 3 years it had to go , I will be keeping my Basic and if I do change it will be for a 1250GSA Basic (but it will not be for a number of years ).

I would happily buy a used Basic model privately but no way would I even contemplate buying a 3 or 4 year old TE outside the official warranty umbrella.

I bought my basic (2015) from the first owner who specified it from new... I had to fight people off to get it!!.. had been looking for ages before it came up... he adversised it and had 5 calls on the day... I went straigh over and his phone was still ringing!!... he told me he'd had the same thing with the one before... Lots of people wanting basics :) ... go for it!!

Back
Top Bottom