‘Base’ GSA1250; madness?

I bought my basic (2015) from the first owner who specified it from new... I had to fight people off to get it!!.. had been looking for ages before it came up... he adversised it and had 5 calls on the day... I went straigh over and his phone was still ringing!!... he told me he'd had the same thing with the one before... Lots of people wanting basics :) ... go for it!!

Well -that appears to nail it! :rob

If I was buying new - I’d take the shocks off as soon as possible and fit decent aftermarket. When you eventually sell it - you can get the shocks serviced and either sell with the bike, or return the bike to std. And you get the benefit of superior shocks in the time between.

Well -that appears to nail it! :rob

If I was buying new - I’d take the shocks off as soon as possible and fit decent aftermarket. When you eventually sell it - you can get the shocks serviced and either sell with the bike, or return the bike to std. And you get the benefit of superior shocks in the time between.

Not really sure why the comments about the standard esa units (1250) as I find them brilliant , had no issues and I had a full Wilbured TC before and to be honest the new system is just better .Prior to that I had the non esa wilburs units on the old 1200 but found annoying to keep adjusting them.
The new system is just great for all occasions and allows you to enjoy the ride, not fucin about with settings , pre loads etc. IMHO of course.

When I bought my 1200GSA way back in 2006 I specced it with the trip computer but no ABS. You'd think I'd asked for gold plated wheels and engine they way they created. Stuff like "you have to have ABS as it's a safety feature" and "you'll never sell it". Point is I saved a grand and have never sold it so it was a winner.

I was close to buying a new LC ADV a couple of years ago and only wanted a couple of options and didn't want all the eletrickery. Lots of pushing to have a full spec with the usual "you'll never sell it" but I didn't budge and after a few hurdles such as long lead time, money up front as it was a factory order I decided not to bother.

As a 2nd or 3rd owner, I would prefer BASIC! It means I am more likely to be able to maintain myself, and avoid the silly issues that usually are found with the gadgets as they age.
I remember a mate had a Merc, when you selected reverse gear, the rear headrests moved out of the line-pf-sight... almost NEVER worked!!! Cost him a fortune trying to keep the daft gadget working!
I had a Land Rover for 10 years (and i did 187000 miles in her), it was always the daft stuff that failed.
Now my "new" Defender is a relatively basic one...nothing to go wrong (I hope!!!)
Having said that I have a GS TE... I did look at the base, but ended up getting a great deal on a new TE making the price gap minimal.

When I bought my 1200GSA way back in 2006 I specced it with the trip computer but no ABS. You'd think I'd asked for gold plated wheels and engine they way they created. Stuff like "you have to have ABS as it's a safety feature" and "you'll never sell it". Point is I saved a grand and have never sold it so it was a winner

I had exactly the same experience with my dealer when I bought a new 06 GSA with no ABS

The grand I saved I spent on luggage for the bike and a holiday for myself and SWMBO. When it came to selling the bike 60000 miles later the bloke who bought it couldn't give a flying fuck that it didn't have ABS. He just said "no ABS means less to go wrong" :thumby:

However the dealer I’ve been talking to is trying to dissuade me on the basis that resale would be difficult.

That would be Bahnstormer? When I purchased back 2013 they point blank refused the order:eek:, no part exchange sold the the bike privately. Went to North Oxford BMW, I had 4 standard 1200GS LC with only heated grips and cruise. The bikes were they took back never made it to the show room. Resold immediately. Sold the 1200RT on eBay, dude from Holland bought it cash.
Standard 1250 GS LC is £13400 and the 1200 is £12400 difference of £1000. Even the standard 1200GS LC has gone up in price.

The basic 1250 GS is £169 PCM, on PCP assuming youve made the minimum deposit contribution etc.

But dealers are banking on the Spezial packs & option packs to be added

Adding every extra in the book takes the base price up almost 50%.

For me i cant order a basic, as i need the low seat & potential the low frame.

The low frame requires the ESA option to be added .... so bumps the price up to £15K

My 06 Hexhead , wouldnt even be considered for part ex, so i'd be looking at finding another 2.5K

I bought a new twin cam GS in 2011 with just heated grips and ABS against the advice of the dealer (same story - it won't sell, no-one will want it etc etc), I sold it on here in 2014 and could have sold it 3 or 4 times over.

People don't want the complexity of ESA and other Gizmo's out of warranty because they know it will cost an arm and a leg if it goes wrong, conversely dealers like this complexity as it keeps you locked into their workshops and maintains their parts business..

Buyers will want it when you sell, you won't get stuck with it and you wont let it go for a song when you do sell despite what dealers tell you.

Order what you want and as already said go somewhere else if the dealer doesn't want to play ball.

Order the basic if your going to keep it, esa suspension is not cover after 30k miles. Shows how well made they are NOT.

Basic? You'd have to wait 6-9 months.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

ordered a basic in December, will be ready 2nd week in February. Zero hassle ordering it from Duffy motorrad.

I tried to order one in 2017. None available . TE was available from stock and sold with a big discount and great pix on my scrambler. The TE has been the best GS I have owned . If the esa goes I’ll put some olins on it . I had a basic 1200 TC and it was lovely , not even heated grips , future proof . I have a modern Mercedes and a 25 year old W124 Mercedes . The 124 I can usually fix, the modern one ties me into the Mercedes dealership as it has so many computers . Having said that it just needs an expensive service every 15000 miles , the 124 every 6000 . . I like a mix of old and new school :thumb2

Next time i will go for basic with nav mount and thumbwheel, quickshifter and hillstart, then put on oxford grips and quality suspension, Job done and it's a keeper.

Next time i will go for basic with nav mount and thumbwheel, quickshifter and hillstart, then put on oxford grips and quality suspension, Job done and it's a keeper.

Without the grips and suspension, those options will stick almost 2.5K on your base price lil

Having had two new TEs in 18 months and ECU/electrical problems with both and corrosion on one (all fixed on warranty) IMHO you should go for what you want without thinking about what the next owner may want or not.

There is a market for basic models as you can see from these pages.

In your position I would opt out of ESA as well. I'm not one of those people who considers setting up and adjusting their suspension a faff. In reality, how often do most people adjust it?

Good luck buddy. :thumb

ordered a basic in December, will be ready 2nd week in February. Zero hassle ordering it from Duffy motorrad.
Was it a gs or gsa? Mind asking price you got? They are my dealer also and thinking of similar this year.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Was it a gs or gsa? Mind asking price you got? They are my dealer also and thinking of similar this year.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

it's a gs, only extras are heated grips and gps preparation . comes standard with tft and hill start. Traded in a bike so not sure of retail cost but when I said I didn't want esa, the price dropped by €1,000.
being built week 4, should have it week 6.

Having had two new TEs in 18 months and ECU/electrical problems with both and corrosion on one (all fixed on warranty) IMHO you should go for what you want without thinking about what the next owner may want or not.

There is a market for basic models as you can see from these pages.

In your position I would opt out of ESA as well. I'm not one of those people who considers setting up and adjusting their suspension a faff. In reality, how often do most people adjust it?

Good luck buddy. :thumb

My Basic GSA tc ended up with maxton suspension , in 3 years the only adjustments I made was when two up heavily laden touring I had to up the rear preload by 3 turns, similarly on my 2017 basic GSA from the box it has been perfect solo, last summer when two up with luggage I upped the rear preload by 7 clicks , hardly a chore

Back
Top Bottom