R1200GSA upgrade to Ohlins or Wlbers ESA

One of my mates has Wilbers on his 2014 GSA, they're Orange springs... but he's only had them a few months, but he's happy.

However... he's also 22 stone so he'll notice more of a difference with custom springs... compared to my skinny ass 14 stone frame.

One of my mates has Wilbers on his 2014 GSA, they're Orange springs... but he's only had them a few months, but he's happy.

However... he's also 22 stone so he'll notice more of a difference with custom springs... compared to my skinny ass 14 stone frame.
Show off

You can just see his Orange'ness poking through on our last ride out to Birmingham Motorcycle Museum. :D

Attachments

• BMM3.jpg
    BMM3.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 777
  • Wilbers.jpg
    Wilbers.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 804
... and I do actually have Wilbers on my Bandit 1250. Just not on the GSA yet :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Bandit.jpg
    Bandit.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 792
  • Wilbers2.jpg
    Wilbers2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 751
Can them sachs be changed, just spring only, lets say Hyperpro, that would be cheaper, and lets be honest its all about the spring, I think.

I've had Ohlins on mine for about 5 years and they are superb. I tried Hyperpro springs before that and they were an improvement.

The only thing you have to watch with Ohlins/Wilbers etc is you need to have them serviced regularly if you are doing mileage.

Mine get hammered because of regular trips to Alaska where the roads are really tough on suspension but the Ohlins breeze through it all.

The only thing you have to watch with Ohlins/Wilbers etc is you need to have them serviced regularly if you are doing mileage.

Suppose they will be fine for most on here 4000 miles PCP is hardly mileage.........;)

Had wilbers fitted by the lads at revs Racing.It lowered the bike by 50mm, all day comfy.
Its just around the corner for you warlord

Had wilbers fitted by the lads at revs Racing.It lowered the bike by 50mm, all day comfy.
Its just around the corner for you warlord

Yeah, I've been to Revs a few times.

They sorted my Ohlins on my 675R and ZZR1400, and provided my Wilbers on the Bandit.

But wasn't sure if to bypass the ESA and go straight back to Ohlins

Yeah, I've been to Revs a few times.

They sorted my Ohlins on my 675R and ZZR1400, and provided my Wilbers on the Bandit.

But wasn't sure if to bypass the ESA and go straight back to Ohlins

Seems a waste of a nice feature to bypass the ESA, although it would have been nice if BMW had given the option to dial in the ESA notch by notch, for totally personal preferences.

Ohlins TTX for me..beautifully made..the Sachs unit is a lump of Monkey metal in comparison, you notice a difference as soon as you sit on it and thats before you start it and Ride it

Attachments

• BMW-Ohlins-W_Cooled_R_1200GS_TTX_BM_147_BM146.jpg
    BMW-Ohlins-W_Cooled_R_1200GS_TTX_BM_147_BM146.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 845
  • 20170818_173932_resized.jpg
    20170818_173932_resized.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 830
  • supermoto1.jpg
    supermoto1.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 841
Ohlins TTX for me..beautifully made..the Sachs unit is a lump of Monkey metal in comparison, you notice a difference as soon as you sit on it and thats before you start it and Ride it

That’s what I have on order, to be fitted to a basic GS Rallye, for March delivery!!

That’s what I have on order, to be fitted to a basic GS Rallye, for March delivery!!

that will be some bike..money well spent and probably still cheaper than a TE

So is there a way to install Ohlins Suspension on an ESA bike and neutralize the yellow warning lights

I had Wilbers on my TC. The biggest change was how it handled fully loaded, same as unloaded. It was better solo unloaded but I wouldn’t have paid the money for the improvement just solo riding. I do suspect the springs were a tad stiff for my 80kg riding weight though. Ride height was slightly greater, which led to me laying it down at an off-camber junction - panniers saved the bike from damage. :blast

Any thoughts on which aftermarket suspension is best if you plan to do proper off roading on the GS.

I have a 16GS TE with ESA and wanna do some rallies this year.

Is all the hype about the Touratech accurate? Pricey stuff

Back
Top Bottom