R1200GSA upgrade to Ohlins or Wlbers ESA

Any thoughts on which aftermarket suspension is best if you plan to do proper off roading on the GS.

I have a 16GS TE with ESA and wanna do some rallies this year.

Is all the hype about the Touratech accurate? Pricey stuff

I fitted Touratech / Tractive ESA shocks nearly 2 years ago on my 2014 LC GSA. The bike gets used 2-up fully loaded and generally thrown around on-road with limited offroad. No problems at all with them in the last 15,000 miles and they'll need a service later this year and there was a noticeable improvement in handling, particularly 2-up. Expensive but as the bike's a keeper I don't mind.

I fitted Touratech / Tractive ESA shocks nearly 2 years ago on my 2014 LC GSA. The bike gets used 2-up fully loaded and generally thrown around on-road with limited offroad. No problems at all with them in the last 15,000 miles and they'll need a service later this year and there was a noticeable improvement in handling, particularly 2-up. Expensive but as the bike's a keeper I don't mind.

Thanks for the input,

It’s big bucks but I’m sure it’s worth it, what sort of warranty do they offer with it?

So is there a way to install Ohlins Suspension on an ESA bike and neutralize the yellow warning lights

it does show ESA on dash, tried the GS911 but it wont reset, im sure with some thought and some sort of resisters plugged in it could be eliminated

it does show ESA on dash, tried the GS911 but it wont reset, im sure with some thought and some sort of resisters plugged in it could be eliminated

The same here. I tried to eliminate the ESA on the dash with the GS-911, but to no avail. But the Ohlins are on a different level to the standard shocks. I bought mine from a very decent chap on here...:thumb

** UPDATE **

I've done a fair bit of research on this R1200GS (Adventure) Suspension options over the past few weeks, and something very important needs to be clarified here.

WESA - Wilbers ESA

On Air Cooled R1200GS motorcycles (Pre-2014) you get replacement Wilbers Shocks on your WESA Conversion. The full package, which is fully serviceable.

BUT

On Water Cooled R1200GS motorcycles (Post-2013) you DO NOT GET WILBERS SHOCKS... they reuse your BMW Standard Shocks which ARE NOT SERVICEABLE by Wilbers.

Basically they dismantle your standard rear BMW suspension unit, fit their own Wilbers Spring, replace the compression tank with a new Wilbers version (which adds compression adjustability), and do not change anything in the BMW shock as it's a sealed unit. So the actual shock main cylinder, damper road, oil and seals are not replaced or upgraded. IF it was old and knackered when you had the conversion done, it's still old and knackered after the WESA upgrade.

This means if that shock fails, leaks, or is damaged it cannot be serviced by Wilbers. This isn't made clear on the Wilbers Website, but is a fact.

I chose not to go with the Wilbers WESA on my 2017 bike because of this information as it's a lot of money considering no shock upgrade. :rob

So based on the information above, the other two options I considered were

£2000 - Ohlins TTX Suspension with ESA Blanking Plugs - Move away from Electronic Suspension altogether, get more adjustability and reliability. Designed for on-road and fast-road use.

or

£3000 - Touratech Extreme ESA Suspension which integrates with existing electronics and is designed for very heavy use off-road for extended periods of time.

As I only ever ride onroad, I chose the Ohlins TTX route with blanking plugs to eliminate ESA code errors.

Had the spring colour changed from Banana Yellow to Black, as it's more inkeeping with my Triple Black bike colour. :comfort :augie :D

** UPDATE **

This means if that shock fails, leaks, or is damaged it cannot be serviced. This isn't made clear on the Wilbers Website, but is a fact.

:rob
I have just had my Sachs rear shock rebuilt by FireFox Racing after it lost all its oil at 26000 miles. Cost £250 with a 12 month warranty.

I have just had my Sachs rear shock rebuilt by FireFox Racing after it lost all its oil at 26000 miles. Cost £250 with a 12 month warranty.

Ok thanks for that update, I've added the wording.... "cannot be serviced by Wilbers"

** UPDATE **

I've done a fair bit of research on this R1200GS (Adventure) Suspension options over the past few weeks, and something very important needs to be clarified here.

WESA - Wilbers ESA

On Air Cooled R1200GS motorcycles (Pre-2014) you get replacement Wilbers Shocks on your WESA Conversion. The full package, which is fully serviceable.

BUT

On Water Cooled R1200GS motorcycles (Post-2013) you DO NOT GET WILBERS SHOCKS... they reuse your BMW Standard Shocks which ARE NOT SERVICEABLE.

Basically they dismantle your standard rear BMW suspension unit, fit their own Wilbers Spring, replace the compression tank with a new Wilbers version (which adds compression adjustability), and do not change anything in the BMW shock as it's a sealed unit. So the actual shock is not replaced or upgraded. IF it was old and knackered when you had the conversion done, it's still old and knackered after the WESA upgrade.

This means if that shock fails, leaks, or is damaged it cannot be serviced. This isn't made clear on the Wilbers Website, but is a fact.

I chose not to go with the Wilbers WESA on my 2017 bike because of this information as it's a lot of money considering no shock upgrade. :rob

One other thing to make clear is that the air cooled Wilbers replacements do reuse your existing hydraulic preload adjusters which gives you the same issue, if they fail they are not serviceable and you cannot buy them separately. The only true plug and play replacement that does not reuse anything is the Touratech/Tractive (which are closer to £2,000 for the basic road version), or the £3,000 Ohlins which require a more complicated install. I am looking at the Touratech/Tractive versions but would love to find some more reviews as there are very few of them.

One other thing to make clear is that the air cooled Wilbers replacements do reuse your existing hydraulic preload adjusters which gives you the same issue, if they fail they are not serviceable and you cannot buy them separately. The only true plug and play replacement that does not reuse anything is the Touratech/Tractive (which are closer to £2,000 for the basic road version), or the £3,000 Ohlins which require a more complicated install. I am looking at the Touratech/Tractive versions but would love to find some more reviews as there are very few of them.

Good points.

The Ohlins Electronic Suspension is not available for my 2017 model bike (as far as I'm aware) they recalled the units due to 'compatibility issues'

I've gone with the Ohlins TTX Manual Shocks with ESA Blanking Plugs.

The Touratech Extreme ESA shocks look VERY VERY NICE, but at £3000 I just wouldn't benefit from the extra engineering when I could spend that money on fuel. These shocks have the benefit of Ex-BMW and Ex-WP employees from what I've read, so the system is compatible and works very well.

Everything I've read so far about the Touratech Extreme (TracTive) shocks look GOOD. But just outside my scope of use.

I’ve just had Ohlins TTX shocks fitted to a basic Rallye without ESA. Cost of shocks was £1900 + fitting. Don’t know how long that takes as I had loads of other stuff took off, painted, then put back on also included in the fitting charges.

I’ve just had Ohlins TTX shocks fitted to a basic Rallye without ESA. Cost of shocks was £1900 + fitting. Don’t know how long that takes as I had loads of other stuff took off, painted, then put back on also included in the fitting charges.

I trust you are happy with the Ohlins shocks?

Haven’t done that many miles yet so still on the settings that the shop set. Even so it feels more connected and will only compliment the 17” wheels and Power RS sports tyres. It’s going to be a good year!!

Warlord...who does the ESA blanking plugs? Do they eliminate the Dash warning lights?

Warlord...who does the ESA blanking plugs? Do they eliminate the Dash warning lights?

I got mine from FTR Suspension. They supposedly eliminate all the warning lights and protect the ESA Plugs from dirt. I've not taken delivery of all my kit as I only ordered it all last week. I've ordered Hyperpro CSC Steering Damper upgrade as well.

https://picclick.co.uk/BMW-R1200GS-...spension-adjustment-removal-283333115744.html

FTR Suspension charge £95 each for these plugs, but I got them thrown in for free as I bought my Ohlins TTX Shocks from them.

Search on eBay for "BMW R1200GS GSA ESA electronic suspension adjustment removal blanking plug"

Some text from their advert says

>>>>

If you're looking to remove the ESA system from your BMW R1200GS or GSA model, you have probably come to realise you will be left with the horrible error message on your dash.

Luckily there's a very simple solution which involves plugging in this great little device which allows you to then buy any manually adjusted shocks that take your fancy.

The advert is for one plug which can be used on the front or the rear, if you intend to remove the ESA from front and rear, you will need two of these plugs.

We at FTR suspension have years of experience with all makes and models of suspension so if you have any questions, please get into contact with us and we can help you.

If you're also looking to buy new shocks, we can supply and even fit these for you.

Haven’t done that many miles yet so still on the settings that the shop set. Even so it feels more connected and will only compliment the 17” wheels and Power RS sports tyres. It’s going to be a good year!!

Nice, have you set the Sag Levels yet? Or done nothing at all?

I thought these two videos were interesting.

The first video you might think irrelevant to you, but watch it anyway as it pulls out some really valid points about rider weight and bike height.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/174Pdp4sVFs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QrdzBXxa7e0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some information on ESA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CCCl2KBpP5g?start=693" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good points.

The Ohlins Electronic Suspension is not available for my 2017 model bike (as far as I'm aware) they recalled the units due to 'compatibility issues'

I've gone with the Ohlins TTX Manual Shocks with ESA Blanking Plugs.

The Touratech Extreme ESA shocks look VERY VERY NICE, but at £3000 I just wouldn't benefit from the extra engineering when I could spend that money on fuel. These shocks have the benefit of Ex-BMW and Ex-WP employees from what I've read, so the system is compatible and works very well.

Everything I've read so far about the Touratech Extreme (TracTive) shocks look GOOD. But just outside my scope of use.

The touratech shocks are not suitable for '17 onwards bikes with auto preload.
From their site.
INFO: Does not fit BMW ESA Next Generation “Autolevelling” from (2018)

Back
Top Bottom