R1200GSA upgrade to Ohlins or Wlbers ESA

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience of upgrading BMW R1200GSA ESA to Ohlins or Wilbers ESA.

Any long term user opinions on which would be best?

Anyone got any experience of upgrading BMW R1200GSA ESA to Ohlins or Wilbers ESA.

Any long term user opinions on which would be best?

Had the Wilburs on the TC full ESA conversion , great set up on the that bike and worked with no issues , think id did around 25k on that bike with the set up.
The improvement over the original set up was better as the units were valved and sprung for my weight etc rather than a universal set up from the standard units , never tried Ohlins as I have always used Wilburs on my bikes , Ohlins are similar as you buy the units off the shelf and them have them revalved etc to suit the bike/rider.

I fitted Wilber’s esa to my 2011 twincam at 600 miles and put 30000 miles on them without any problems. I had them serviced by revs racing at 25000 miles and was told that they were in perfect condition. On my 2017 gsa I completed a 3000 mile Europe trip on the original suspension and found the bike to be too soft and under damped - slightly better when set to two rider setting but not much. I fitted Wilber’s, set to my weight riding style etc and as expected the bike is now perfect for me ie, one doesn’t notice the suspension as it doesn’t intrude at all, simply does it job.
On both bikes I fitted the units my self: twincam - easy, gsa not as simple involving lifting the backend of the bike to get the rear unit in and out and unbolting and moving the front telelever to get the front unit in.
Do it. Makes more sense than a second hand tft.:D
Alan R

Attachments

• 8425F831-D64B-4588-961B-9A5AEC9487EE.jpg
    8425F831-D64B-4588-961B-9A5AEC9487EE.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 2,112
  • E2784FA4-C7C1-4621-9123-6C794D1B685A.jpg
    E2784FA4-C7C1-4621-9123-6C794D1B685A.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 2,117
It does make more sense than a TFT Screen, you are definately right there :)

It does make more sense than a TFT Screen, you are definately right there :)

True but the TFT is nice ….bit off topic but Wilburs units are brilliant , I had a 990 Superduke R that was awful on standard suspension and the Wilburs rear along with Maxton front internals sorted the bike out 1000% so the Wilburs choice is best for me.

I'm struggling to find these for the LC on Google. Do they do them and, if so, what do they cost?

I was looking into this last year, as far as I can find out, nobody yet does replacements for the latest version ESA.
The problem is the gizmo that measures the ride height, if you put a stronger spring or add ride height the bike thinks it has less weight on it and reduces the damping on an already under damped unit.
I am sure someboby will come up with a solution soon, I hope so.

I bought and installed W-ESA Wilbers (front & rear) last November and couldn’t be happier.
Wilbers (Germany) were brilliant to deal with from start to finish and answered every question I had with patience and professionalism. I am happy to PM you the email address of the person i dealt with, if you need it.

My bike (GSA LC 2014) now handles my weight (+ passenger and 48l rear luggage) so much better that there is simply no comparison to how it was before.
Road handling was always good with the OEM shocks, but the Wilbers add another level of confidence cause the bike feels so much more stable & planted.
The setup and spring rate were made according to my riding style and preferences.
The only “downside” is the downtime when you send in your OEM shocks (plus the cost of shipment, as they’re quite heavy). I had mine done in Germany as opposed to a Wilbers dealer on the Spanish mainland.
The flip side is that the Wilbers are serviceable parts and turnaround is relatively quick, unless you buy during Oktoberfest (sales) when work is at its peak.

A way around this would be to source some shocks from a breakers yard or eBay and send those in instead. But I preferred to send my own in as i knew they were in proper working order (albeit a bit tired after 55,000km).

From me, it’s 10/10 for Wilbers and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

I was looking into this last year, as far as I can find out, nobody yet does replacements for the latest version ESA.
The problem is the gizmo that measures the ride height, if you put a stronger spring or add ride height the bike thinks it has less weight on it and reduces the damping on an already under damped unit.
I am sure someboby will come up with a solution soon, I hope so.

Wunderlich do, not sure who makes them.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/w...el=8276c928dc16a4a81de3815ad6845439&year=2017

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich/suspension/view/sku/644-1221-00/

Got Revs Racing to fit Wilbers to my 2013 LC and was certainly much better than the OE set up with more adjustability and spring matched to my weight. I never really liked, or got on well with the OE set up though. I did 25k miles on it and was pretty happy with the handling and ride quality.
Whilst I felt the Wilbers was an improvement over stock, I am however still of the opinion a reallly well set up manual system is better than ESA, which is why my S1000XR is the sport version (no ESA) which I've then had Revs fit Wilbers to.

Thats interesting Shaun, the spring colour isn't Wilbers orange.....

Don't want orange springs on my GSA TB....

My springs are also much lighter than the ones shown in the Wilbers & Wunderlich website.
They are a bit KTM Orangey (strange choice for BMW springs!), and once mine go in for a service I’ll ask if they can change the springs for a different color.
But they work so well it’s not exactly a deal breaker IMHO.

The shade of orange Wilbers I received:

2019011521150374-IMG_6591-XL.jpg

2019011520521852-51B25036-3ECE-45F6-A74A-D3E9428A90AC-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom