Request from the banks of the River Congo please

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
More on our travels today later (we are struggling with getting internet) but a quick technical request from the banks of the River Congo please:

The r1150GS has become very reluctant to start and now is running badly when I accelerate, slowing down and seeming to lack fuel (it has fuel in the tank).

Today we changed the ECU for a replacement (from Motorworks) and rheproblem remains the same. The bike also has a new fuel pump and filter and new primary plugs. The fuel itself is fine as Jim filled from the same pump and runs OK.

So what should we checking or doing next? All help gratefully received!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced one coil stick in GambiA. I should mention there was water in the fuel tank when I replaced the pump in Republic of Congo.

What is TPS?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Could be blocked injectors, have you tried clamping the fuel pipe returning to the tank?

Goth biker:

Is this in order to blow anything out if a blocked injector?

Neil : And is the TPS able to be worked on?

I had a similar problem. It was ok on tick over but on the road no power and the odd backfire just wouldn’t rev, replaces the fuel filter and a late suggested having the injectors ultrasonic cleanse they came back and it went great , one was blocked 80% and the other nearly as bad, before that I tried all sorts, 2 fuel filters, drained the tank, full service, swapped ecu, plugs and nearly replaced the coil

Goth biker:

Hi Simon,
Not as far as I know, the TPS is a sealed unit
If you can get MW to send a good TPS and a pair of injectors just in case.
If you can get the fittings off the injectors try and check fuel delivery to the injectors, but before that see what the injector spray pattern is like, in case they are blocked

Best of luck
Neil

Goth biker:

It will increase pressure to the injectors. I had a similar problem a few years back. Swapped TPS/coil sticks/injectors-no change. Clamped return pipe and bike ran fine. Turned out to be faulty fuel pressure regulator valve. Just be careful you don't over pressurise the system by leaving the clamp on too long when testing.

Thank you all. I shall start the morning by swapping the coils... and read about the injectors tonight in my Haynes Manual

After changing coils and looking at injectors it seems the problem is fuel supply further upstream. Simply, once the tank is half empty it doesn't seem to pump fuel. Pump is new and priming... Could we have missed something in installation?

Bike ran fine on a fullish tank.

Have you made sure to install the filter/pump assembly in the correct orientation within the tank, i.e have you rotated the mounting plate by 1 or 2 sutds? ? I believe there is a flat section on the mounting plate which needs to be pointing to the front of the bike? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Have you made sure to install the filter/pump assembly in the correct orientation within the tank, i.e have you rotated the mounting plate by 1 or 2 sutds? ? I believe there is a flat section on the mounting plate which needs to be pointing to the front of the bike? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Correct. This is the correct orientation. The flat on the pump plate faces towards the tank locating bracket.

If it was difficult to reconnect the fuel hoses then that too could be an indicator the pump plate is miss aligned.

It should be clearly audible. The pump note will change depending on whether it has fuel or not and leaning the bike over from side to side when you get to your “half a tank” will confirm this.

Attachments

• E3E236B4-E863-4536-9578-30D034B9F7EF.jpg
    E3E236B4-E863-4536-9578-30D034B9F7EF.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 352
I should mention there was water in the fuel tank when I replaced the pump

There's not still water in the tank is there? It would float near the bottom and increasingly dilute the fuel as the level goes down? I had something similar once in my Tiger.

Something else - all the breather vents clear?

You've presumably checked your valve clearance?

Thank all.

Latest is that we got the bike running and made a 160km run to N'Zeto. The bike still sounds like it's running a bit rich and maybe not always firing on both cylinders.

Hoping to get to Luanda tomorrow and a good workshop

S

Back
Top Bottom