Austrian MotoGP 2018 - Tour 2 Ride Report

Day 12 – Tues. 14th
I ride up the east coast of the Bodensee / Obersee heading west across the bottom of Germany aiming for the Titisee area and the bottom of the Black Forest (B500) area. Nothing eventful happened on the ride, that I can recall, but I must have stopped somewhere for gas and food / drink. This is the problem with covering long distances in a short space of time; it all blends into one and makes it hard to differentiate between one lovely spot and another. My misses and me had the same trouble when we both rode over most of the USA (including Alaska) in 6 weeks – the states start to blend together and become one.
From the Titisee area I rode up the B500 (lovely ride) and stopped for a spot of lunch at Schiltach; what a beautiful Black Forest village this is! I can see myself stopping here for a night sometime in the future. Lunch was enjoyed while watching ducks swimming in the village river (I think they were really watching my lunch). Time to leave Schiltach and head towards Baden-Baden on the B500 again. I had intended to ride through the Vosges and look for a room in Kaysersberg (I’d heard it was a nice place) but, as I was so much further north than that, I continued heading north-west and ended up stopping at - - - - - - - - -Arras for the second time this trip! This time I knew where I was going so parked up and got a room quickly and easily ready for a walk about town and some dinner.
I found a lovely basement restaurant that did a great steak and nice wine – sorted. Time for another walk about town and a few more pictures then retire for the night ready for another riding day tomorrow.

Here's some pics. of Schiltach and then Arras (again):

Attachments

• IMG_20180814_105746336.jpg
    IMG_20180814_105746336.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20180814_105842639.jpg
    IMG_20180814_105842639.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_20180814_110312871.jpg
    IMG_20180814_110312871.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20180814_111305283_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180814_111305283_HDR.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20180814_111500775.jpg
    IMG_20180814_111500775.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 282
And of Arras:

Attachments

• IMG_20180814_191943458_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180814_191943458_HDR.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_20180814_192000215_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180814_192000215_HDR.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20180814_192004134_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180814_192004134_HDR.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20180814_192652286_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180814_192652286_HDR.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20180814_193019129.jpg
    IMG_20180814_193019129.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 284
Day 13 – Wed. 15th
Up early, as always, and head for the tunnel. I fuel up somewhere en route and I’m that early I have to use the pump’s card machine as the shop is still closed. I always get an “open” return ticket as I never know when I’ll be there for the train. I may be early but usually late so it takes the hassle factor out of it. Usual slog through all the English roadworks / motorways and I’m heading up the east coast towards Edinburgh.
I arrive there and decide not to stop but carry on for another 180 miles to home, so I do just that and arrive safe and sound (as they say).

Tour highlights:
Arras – lovely architecture
RdGA – always a great day’s riding
Dolomites – absolutely stunning; must go back in 2019
“Break Free” band – great, would see them again anytime
Austrian MotoGP – great racing and partying
Austria country – beautiful
Black Forest – lovely and B500 great
Schiltach – very bonnie

Tour 2019 thoughts (always subject to change):
Harz mountains
BMW factory tour, Berlin
Zakopane, Poland
Romania – Transalpina; Transfagarasan; Constanta, Black Sea
Scarperia and then Dolomites
Austrian MotoGP
Interlaken / Andermatt area (again)
Kaysersberg

Thanks for viewing :beerjug::beerjug::beerjug::beerjug::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for the RR and great pics. I'm not stateside this year so that's given me a few ideas of a quick ride down to the Alps.

Thanks for the RR and great pics. I'm not stateside this year so that's given me a few ideas of a quick ride down to the Alps.

Many thanks.

I read your route proposal for 2020 and it looks great; you seem to have covered most of the great areas you can in the time allocated.

Two others I like, that aren't close enough for your route, are US12 from Missoula heading west along the Lolo Pass and the Coronada Trail (US191 ex US666) from Morenci (NE from Tombstone) up to Hannagan Meadow. It's a very steep and twisty rise to c 7000' at the top - stunning but very tricky (think Stelvio north side). Arizona is definite too far away from the west coast.

are US12 from Missoula heading west along the Lolo Pass .

Lolo Pass all the way to Lewiston is epic and we used to do that coming down from Alaska. Great milkshake stop half way along as well.

If you turn south at Clarkston, you run through Rattlesnake canyon which again is a staggering piece of tarmac and great fun.

I was thinking of doing the same. Not been for a few years now. I must get my GS recommissioned by someone. :blast I reckon the snow is going to take a bit longer to clear the top of the passes this year too!

I was in Arras a couple of years ago on my way up to the Belgian border looking for a particular cemetery.

That square is a lovely spot to sit and have lunch, a few beers and watch the world go by.

Sent from a U11

Did a trip late August that passed through some of the very same places as yourself. Schiltach is indeed a lovely spot - we parked down by the river and had lunch in the square with the Apothekenmuseum on the right hand side. Dolomites were one of the great highlights, what with the amazing scenery, seriously fun tarmac and lovely villages dotted about the place. They definitely warrant another opportunity to ride the Sella, Gardena, Gaiu and Pordoi passes. Next time, would like to do what you did - base ourselves in the one place for a few nights and enjoy the twisties without being fully laden with luggage.

Thanks for the ride report - great read! Oh, to be back touring in the mountains again....:rolleyes:

Lolo Pass all the way to Lewiston is epic and we used to do that coming down from Alaska. Great milkshake stop half way along as well.

If you turn south at Clarkston, you run through Rattlesnake canyon which again is a staggering piece of tarmac and great fun.

I have ridden them both too (as you say the US12 is epic, one of the best) and used to stop and listen to the stories from the VFW guys - brilliant.

Did a trip late August that passed through some of the very same places as yourself. Schiltach is indeed a lovely spot - we parked down by the river and had lunch in the square with the Apothekenmuseum on the right hand side. Dolomites were one of the great highlights, what with the amazing scenery, seriously fun tarmac and lovely villages dotted about the place. They definitely warrant another opportunity to ride the Sella, Gardena, Gaiu and Pordoi passes. Next time, would like to do what you did - base ourselves in the one place for a few nights and enjoy the twisties without being fully laden with luggage.

Thanks for the ride report - great read! Oh, to be back touring in the mountains again....:rolleyes:

Late summer 2019 beckons!

You seem to have covered the same roads as me.
I also had lunch there - at the river with the ducks!
Carry less luggage and don't buy loads of wine until you are on the way home (that's what I do).

I'm glad you enjoyed the RR.
Ta.

Superb, absolutely superb..

Thanks for taking the time to post , looks like a great trip.
We are taking the Harz route this year too , spent a few days there last year and it was the highlight of the trip.
Cheers again

Thanks for taking the time to post , looks like a great trip.
We are taking the Harz route this year too , spent a few days there last year and it was the highlight of the trip.
Cheers again

That sounds promising! I haven't been in that area before but thought about heading to Goslar to find somewhere for the night and then spend the next day (unfortunately it'll be a Sunday) riding about before heading to west of Berlin. Any specific recommendations or are all the roads equally good?
TIA

Excellent write up, thanks for making the effort. I love the Dolomites and need to go back.

Thoroughly enjoyed this and the last ride report.
Appreciate the effort you've put into them. Great pics too. :bow

Excellent write up, thanks for making the effort. I love the Dolomites and need to go back.

Thoroughly enjoyed this and the last ride report.
Appreciate the effort you've put into them. Great pics too. :bow

I'm glad you both enjoyed it.
Hopefully, I'll load 2017 tomorrow and I'm already working on 2016 - better late than never!

Back
Top Bottom