GS Ownership / Servicing / Costs etc ?

Banzai600

Reaction score
All,

half thinking of a Gs, not sure on new 1250 or buy the current gs1200 circa 2013 or slightly revised 2017 model. ive been around the block, and never owned a gs, but thinking i might try.

how are people finding this particular bike ? I know there's tonnes of threads here, but I want more local opinions.

Also, if buying from a main dealer, what are service costs like on average etc ? I dont have the patience to do the work myself, literally.

ive owned various ducati's and i know belt svs's etc are dear to a point, always went to Mototehcnic anyway , but dont want to get caught out on buying a bmw with big service costs.

Also, if anyone has done the PCP or finance via hire purchase, how do you rate both through the main dealers here ?

GS or GSA ?

I was taken aback by the presence of the GSA, and aware its got a couple of kgs and size over the stock GS, it seems to get more favourable reviews, which im not sure about :confused: Anyone taken the pepsi challenge and moved from GS to GSA ?

tks.

Treat the gsa as a different bike not a gs on steroids.

With that in mind, there are lots of very good independent service providers around the country, rather than throwing it to your main dealer.

I can't comment on the difference on purchases, mines always been for cash. I would make the observation that the pcp route doesn't have that big a mileage iirc 5K pa, something to consider.

At 5'7" and a 29" inside leg: or a normal size, I have no problem riding my gsa. I would recommend doing some extra training on or off road, the extra confidence it gives means you get more fun from your bike.

Whatever bike you do choose, they can take time to gel with, so a quick road test doesn't always show them in their best light.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Whatever bike you do choose, they can take time to gel with, so a quick road test doesn't always show them in their best light.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

or get over once you sell them. A very good do it all bike..with a superb wealth of information on how to fix/amend/bodge/farkle too!

Just do it.

They are not anymore expensive to look after than most other bikes.

Mark in Platinum Motorcycles (Bray) will look after it for you.

You will wonder why you haven't done it sooner.

Sent from a U11

All,

half thinking of a Gs, not sure on new 1250 or buy the current gs1200 circa 2013 or slightly revised 2017 model. I've been around the block, and never owned a gs, but thinking I might try.

how are people finding this particular bike? I know there are tonnes of threads here, but I want more local opinions.

Also, if buying from a main dealer, what are service costs like on average etc? I don't have the patience to do the work myself, literally.

I've owned various Ducati's and I know belt svs's etc are dear to a point, always went to Mototehcnic anyway, but don't want to get caught out on buying a BMW with big service costs.

Also, if anyone has done the PCP or finance via hire purchase, how do you rate both through the main dealers here?

GS or GSA ?

I was taken aback by the presence of the GSA, and aware its got a couple of kgs and size over the stock GS, it seems to get more favourable reviews, which I'm not sure about :confused: Anyone taken the pepsi challenge and moved from GS to GSA ?

tks.

Personal experience here...

Service costs, BMW could do with some catching up with the likes of KTM, Honda, etc 8000, 9000-mile service intervals instead of 6300miles or 10000km

If buying from the dealer there are benefits of having a service carried out at the point of purchase.
Normally (if the bike is new) 600-mile service is around £100 Or free if you know how to get salesman by the balls.
The second service at 6300 miles is an oil change and a general check-up etc. will cost circa £200.
The third service at 12600 miles is a big one and will involve valve clearances, some bods will need new rear pads (i didn't and still had 30% left from new when I sold my bike a week ago) expect to pay circa £375-£400 plus around £100 for pads and fitting if needed.
forth service at 18900 miles is back to oil change only at circa £200.......

Bikes GS or GSA?

If you are vertically challenged, I personally would recommend GS, as it is slightly lighter (better for your knees), has shorter suspension travel by 20mm and with an option of low seat, you can feel confident you not going to drop it when have to come to a stop. GS is also a bit cooler in the summer with a slimmer fuel tank and narrower/shorter windscreen.
If on the other hand, you are tall then GSA is a great bike, albeit heavier than GS purely because it has crash bars, luggage racks and extra 10L of fuel to lug about. it is also taller so manoeuvring it on the driveway is a bit more tiresome.

My first proper bike was a 2014 GS and then I moved onto 2017 GSA TB. I prefer GSA as I am 6'3" tall and it was better for my long legs too, but it lacked airflow on a hot day due to massive front end coverage.

Financing the thing:

Used PCP OR HP is to be avoided in my opinion as it is set at 10.9%APR if not higher now, compared to 5.9/6.9%APR on a new bike. So cash or bank loan at 2.8% is a better bet. But beware that dealers prefer to sell you BMW finance, as they get a kickback from it and it is the way to keep you in the "trap". You also get 2 year warranty and UK/EU 24/7 roadside assistance with every used bike, which is great, as well as ride away service being carried out if it is within certain milage where it is due (if I remember correctly it is 1500 miles)

Personally, I would go for a later 2017 onward bike as it has better gearbox internals, smoother gearshift, updated switchgear (less prone to failure) slightly easier to read clocks (if not fitted with TFT screen), probably better paint (have a good look at the frame, engine and shaft pain). Any signs of bubbling up will need for parts to be replaced or simply walk away and move onto the next one.

Hope this is of some help.

PS. If you can justify it, get a new 1250 bike as it is much nicer than outgoing 1200 gs.

Good luck with your search and adventure.

Treat the gsa as a different bike not a gs on steroids.

With that in mind, there are lots of very good independent service providers around the country, rather than throwing it to your main dealer.

I can't comment on the difference on purchases, mines always been for cash. I would make the observation that the pcp route doesn't have that big a mileage iirc 5K pa, something to consider.

At 5'7" and a 29" inside leg: or a normal size, I have no problem riding my gsa. I would recommend doing some extra training on or off road, the extra confidence it gives means you get more fun from your bike.

or get over once you sell them. A very good do it all bike..with a superb wealth of information on how to fix/amend/bodge/farkle too![/QUOTE]

Just do it.

They are not anymore expensive to look after than most other bikes.

Mark in Platinum Motorcycles (Bray) will look after it for you.

You will wonder why you haven't done it sooner.

Sent from a U11

tks for replies, yeah its not a bike i had ever considered, hearing bad reviews etc and mech failures. However im well aware ot be weary of the jazzed up stories, but it never stopped me owning many ducatis, which i never had a bother with, bar a couple fo blown fuses.

i was thinking same re independents and servicing, so not too much of a worry.

UK prices are also appealing, theyve better adds too than here, and ive done the UK bike thing a few times at this point when i cant get the bike i want here. But we will see.

handier to stay at home and grab a bike at the right price too....seeing as winter is only starting :blast (?)

nice one :thumb2

Personal experience here...

Service costs, BMW could do with some catching up with the likes of KTM, Honda, etc 8000, 9000-mile service intervals instead of 6300miles or 10000km

If buying from the dealer there are benefits of having a service carried out at the point of purchase.
Normally (if the bike is new) 600-mile service is around £100 Or free if you know how to get salesman by the balls.
The second service at 6300 miles is an oil change and a general check-up etc. will cost circa £200.
The third service at 12600 miles is a big one and will involve valve clearances, some bods will need new rear pads (i didn't and still had 30% left from new when I sold my bike a week ago) expect to pay circa £375-£400 plus around £100 for pads and fitting if needed.
forth service at 18900 miles is back to oil change only at circa £200.......

Bikes GS or GSA?

If you are vertically challenged, I personally would recommend GS, as it is slightly lighter (better for your knees), has shorter suspension travel by 20mm and with an option of low seat, you can feel confident you not going to drop it when have to come to a stop. GS is also a bit cooler in the summer with a slimmer fuel tank and narrower/shorter windscreen.
If on the other hand, you are tall then GSA is a great bike, albeit heavier than GS purely because it has crash bars, luggage racks and extra 10L of fuel to lug about. it is also taller so manoeuvring it on the driveway is a bit more tiresome.

My first proper bike was a 2014 GS and then I moved onto 2017 GSA TB. I prefer GSA as I am 6'3" tall and it was better for my long legs too, but it lacked airflow on a hot day due to massive front end coverage.

Financing the thing:

Used PCP OR HP is to be avoided in my opinion as it is set at 10.9%APR if not higher now, compared to 5.9/6.9%APR on a new bike. So cash or bank loan at 2.8% is a better bet. But beware that dealers prefer to sell you BMW finance, as they get a kickback from it and it is the way to keep you in the "trap". You also get 2 year warranty and UK/EU 24/7 roadside assistance with every used bike, which is great, as well as ride away service being carried out if it is within certain milage where it is due (if I remember correctly it is 1500 miles)

Personally, I would go for a later 2017 onward bike as it has better gearbox internals, smoother gearshift, updated switchgear (less prone to failure) slightly easier to read clocks (if not fitted with TFT screen), probably better paint (have a good look at the frame, engine and shaft pain). Any signs of bubbling up will need for parts to be replaced or simply walk away and move onto the next one.

Hope this is of some help.

PS. If you can justify it, get a new 1250 bike as it is much nicer than outgoing 1200 gs.

Good luck with your search and adventure.

tks a lot for the concise and in-depth reply. i was thinking already about a lot of what you sai.d Yes, the GSA may be a little tall, but im well able for big bikes, its the stopping . off camber roads or parking situation that can be an issue. im being a little lazy with the PCP route, but will have to drill down the figures over the next few days.

the new 1250 i have been researching, seems to have constant spread of torque over current model and a few more ponies, and its the midrange speed where it really picks up, overtaking in top gear it leave the current bike a little behind, overall its more refined, smoother and little more zip, so not a lot not to like, but all the bike sold here apparently are nearly all the same colour from what i have heard...lol Be like a GS army! If i went GSA , i wouldnt fill the bike up alll the time, id leave it to 23 ltrs or so, that would be fine, but like you say the balancing act, literally. Even with high sole inners of a Daytona boot.

a lot to think about, see how i go, but i just feel i need to change direction re the bikes im riding. the japs have some good bikes, but there is nothing innovative they have produced over the last few years. The africa twin maybe, but its a grossly overpriced motorcycle for its price by about 2500.00 euro. Even their presentations were absolutely diabolical at EICMA before xmas, shameful really. At least with BMW they are moving the game on, incorporating all angles of gizmos etc that you would actually use and refreshing the bike.

cheers :thumb

Back
Top Bottom