Starting up new tour guide business in Scotland

As has been said , I would not be inclined to run a support vehicle .
Tom and Susan that run ( for quite a long time ) the successful Global Touring , motorcycle touring company started of with a support vehicle but only ran it for a very short time ,and have done most of the time just 2 up on the bike .

I have now spoke to a local company who is will to offer hire bikes to me at a discount rate, they are only 6 miles from me so that's good, he can even deliver the bikes to my workshop to save any messing about. as for the support vehicle, I am not too fussed for pushing this just now, I will have a check over each riders bike and make sure they are happy and that I am happy with the bikes and prep. The last thing I want on my tour is a very poor condition bike/prepped bike.
I am 110% positive about this new venture, even more so that this is not my main source of income at the moment so I do have the time to prep it and build it up from here.

If you start checking punters’ bikes, you are inviting a whole world of grief.

What are you going to do when bikermate Bob (having spent money booking his trip) wobbles up from Cornwall, to then have you suck your teeth at the state of his head bearings?

What next? Telling them they must not wear jeans or a t-shirt?

Keep it simple. If someone breaks down, try to help them (with half an eye that the other punters on the jaunt won’t want to sit around for hours whilst you do) and leave the rest to the AA or similar agency to sort out. If they haven’t bought decent vehicle recovery, it’s a long push back to Penzance.

I took lots of bods on ‘Wanders’ into France, Germany and Belgium, over 10’s of thousands of man miles, I’d guess. We had:

One complete breakdown, needing recovery back to home

One failed rectifier

One bike fall over, with a broken indicator

One incident at a T-junction, involving plod

One puncture

One leaking tyre valve

Which is not a lot.

Of course I’ve been on other European jaunts where I’ve seen, five or more big crashes, two involving hospital but no amount of pre-ride bike checking would have prevented those.... though some degree of better care when riding might well have done.

Morning Jamie,
Good luck with the new venture, I have been running a car touring business for four years based in the Scottish Borders, however I travel the length and breath of Scotland and Northumberland. The NC 500 is a massive draw at the moment, I've been around it seven times last season...….. Getting enough people interested balanced with quality time off will be the key, I have an employee to work for me when I take a vacation etc . There is huge interest in our country especially from North America , 80% of my customers are from the states.
Promotion via the Visit Scotland portal works for me, all the best with your planning.

Shinyface

Good morning Shinyface, thanks for the info, I know there is a big market out there and operators offering similar tours etc, I will be trying to add more into mine and offer a verity of packages, with regards to the above feedback about bike checks etc. I don't want to be a nightmare and go over every paying customers bikes with a fine tooth comb nor slate there bikes off, each to there own and all that. My was simply just to carry out pre bike checks, make sure everyone is happy with there own bike and set up, tyre pressures, tyre condition, lights etc all working. This is purely just to help people out a little, if someone rocks up with a bulb out or chain needs adjusted etc then I more than happy to help out to prevent any issues during the tour. I understand things like electrical faults can come anytime, I wont be checking wheels bearings, headstock bearings and so on, just pre ride checks and make sure everyone is happy, any issues then I will be happy to bend over backwards and help them where I can, just the sort of guy I am.
If a rider was to break down and not an easy fix then bikes will need to be recovered and taken care of, that is just the way it is. I always carry a good selection of tools and consumables to get me out of an emergency, puncture repair kit and duct tape is the best ones ;-)

But I understand where you are coming from, but I certainly wont be digging my teeth in or scrutinize each riders bike. just be nice to make sure everyone is happy with thereown machine and if they have any defects then let me know and I will try help out where I can within reason.
Cheers
JT

Morning Jamie,
Good luck with the new venture, I have been running a car touring business for four years based in the Scottish Borders, however I travel the length and breath of Scotland and Northumberland. The NC 500 is a massive draw at the moment, I've been around it seven times last season...….. Getting enough people interested balanced with quality time off will be the key, I have an employee to work for me when I take a vacation etc . There is huge interest in our country especially from North America , 80% of my customers are from the states.
Promotion via the Visit Scotland portal works for me, all the best with your planning.

Shinyface

But I understand where you are coming from, but I certainly wont be digging my teeth in or scrutinize each riders bike. just be nice to make sure everyone is happy with thereown machine and if they have any defects then let me know and I will try help out where I can within reason.
Cheers
JT

That is a good move but I would make sure they understand the bikes condition is completey down to them as you will be surprised at the idiocy of some people. On my trips, I make sure they prepare their bikes as best as possible, have new tyres, fresh oil and brake pads so it alleviates those silly issues. What you don't want is to be involved with a breakdown etc which holds the trip up.

I'm always amazed at just how ill prepared people can be when doing a trip so you need to just make sure they know what required and if they don't do it, it's down to them. I'll not forget the buy who's try was bald as we left Calais for Brno and the other guy who had a bald tyre in the arse end of nowhere in the States on a Sunday because he thought his half worn would make it. He lost 2 great days of riding.........!!

Also make sure you have public liability to protect yourself in case of the worst happening. DAMHIK...........!!

You mentioned the Hebrides... I've been touring them over 30 years, last year in a car though.

The Barra to Eriskay was particularly busy in May, rammed in fact, to the point that if you chose to stay in your vehicle but later wanted to get out, you couldn't...:rolleyes:

Always have a plan 'B' when dealing with Cal-Mac ferries and book, even for bikes, well in advance as space can be at premium at the height of the season.

I've had them not turn up and no info as to why in the past too. The weather, tides or breakdowns can disrupt too.

Did you mentioned the size of party/number of bikes you're looking to take? Remember, it can be like hearding cats at times and you'll most likely get one or two that always seem to be 'last minute', don't let them jeopardize the tour if ferry times have to be met.

Good Luck!

Thanks @ coolcarbon, yes the Hebrides is mega busy during high season, I got caught out once before when staying in Harris in my camper, blocked in and that was that, each trip will be planned and always have a plan B/back up plan for if anything happens. as I am just getting kicked off with this I am not pushing for big group rides, minimum 4 riders, max would be 7 or 8 I think. I am looking forward to it, looking at the first tour being in april, 7 day tour. I have 2 guys messaged me and keen to get on board so that's good, I haven't posted the dates as yet but will have them released by the end of next week.

You mentioned the Hebrides... I've been touring them over 30 years, last year in a car though.

The Barra to Eriskay was particularly busy in May, rammed in fact, to the point that if you chose to stay in your vehicle but later wanted to get out, you couldn't...:rolleyes:

Always have a plan 'B' when dealing with Cal-Mac ferries and book, even for bikes, well in advance as space can be at premium at the height of the season.

I've had them not turn up and no info as to why in the past too. The weather, tides or breakdowns can disrupt too.

Did you mentioned the size of party/number of bikes you're looking to take? Remember, it can be like hearding cats at times and you'll most likely get one or two that always seem to be 'last minute', don't let them jeopardize the tour if ferry times have to be met.

Good Luck!

Good luck with the venue. I’ve been looking trough the posts but I don’t see a name for your company. It’s probably the most important thing. I drive busses sometimes for a tour company. The name? Paddywagon. It literally generates its own business. JJH

Hi JJH, thanks mate, I have name the bike tour business - Scottish Moto Adventures. I had a few names in mind but decided yesterday this was the one I was going with, I have a website getting designed just now. my social media facebook page is now live, tonight I will update it with all the ins and outs of my plans, loads to take in and sort out but I love it........

Good luck with the venue. I’ve been looking trough the posts but I don’t see a name for your company. It’s probably the most important thing. I drive busses sometimes for a tour company. The name? Paddywagon. It literally generates its own business. JJH

I'm sure you know but be careful with bike inspections, you have a risk of taking responsibility for condition. If you sign them off as all good and something goes wrong, you need to be sure your liability limits are clear (and insured). Some folk want to sue someone for anything that goes wrong, even if it was their mistake. Too fast, tyres wrong pressure or even Tesco not putting cones on kerbs in their carparks.

Thanks for all your comments :D some really good info that I have taken on board

Back
Top Bottom