Starting up new tour guide business in Scotland

jamie todd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good morning all ( Hopefully this is the correct section on the forum to post this)

My name is Jamie, I am based in Glenrothes, Fife. I am new to the forum this year too :)

Last year I thought about starting up a small motorcycle tour guide business, the business would run bike tours all over Scotland such as riding the Inner and Outer Hebrides, Skye, NC 500, Coast to Coast and tour of the borders.
I am now starting to get a website designed, social media pages set up and so on. I have 10 years road riding experience, before I passed my bike test, I had a go at trials riding, some motocross then onto enduro riding.
My plan is to set up a small business and run bike tours during my time off from offshore work, currently working a 3 on 3 off rotation so plenty time at home. I have been doing my own adventures around Scotland since buying my first camper van in 2008, since then I just love getting out and about all over Scotland and exploring, back in 2016 I converted my LWB Mercedes Sprinter into a motorhome with garage, kitted out for bigger and better adventures.
Bikes passed and present - First road bike was a 600 bandit, then I moved onto a Z1000 streetfighter, I have never owned a sported bike as I like the more sit up bikes, after the z1000 I bought a newer one and kept that for a year before buying my first BMW GS, I went to BMW Motorrad in Dundee to have a look at them along with Drysdales KTM in Perth. The BMW was the bike for me, I loved the look of the 1200 GS adventure but when I went to view one in Dundee it was a lot bigger than I thought....ha-ha, I then decided to go for the R1200 GS on a 2010 plate which I kept for a year, then I traded it in and bought a 2011 GSA. The GSA with all the gadgets on it was great on road and a little off road riding, last year I sold this bike and bought the newer BMW GSA LC model and I absolutely love this bike.

I have been touring all over Scotland for years whether on the bike or in the campervan, I have marked out some of the best roads there Is for riding on, stunning scenery and amazing beaches. Bike tours will have a variety of options - Bike tours with B&B, Bike tours and wild camping, Bike tours and camping on sites, Bike tours with Micro lodges and Wigwams, Weekend tours running Friday to Monday, Bike tours over 7-10 days.

Like I said, I am now in the process of getting this tour business up and running, I am also open to suggestions, other riders experience, what else can I offer etc so fire away :)

Regards
Jamie

Don't forget, that for those carrying pillion, they are not necessarily interested in motorbike things.

Arranging trips to distillery and the like is good, but can require additional transport, so there is no drink driving.

Where will you meet these intrepid travellers, after all if I have ridden up from Dover or the like I may have already planned my route. If it is Newcastle will you be meeting them at the ferry ?

What is going to be your unique selling point ? Why would I come to you, compared to others.

Good luck with your idea.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Don't forget, that for those carrying pillion, they are not necessarily interested in motorbike things.

Arranging trips to distillery and the like is good, but can require additional transport, so there is no drink driving.

Where will you meet these intrepid travellers, after all if I have ridden up from Dover or the like I may have already planned my route. If it is Newcastle will you be meeting them at the ferry ?

What is going to be your unique selling point ? Why would I come to you, compared to others.

Good luck with your idea.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, this will all be added onto my new website once I get everything sorted and in place, there will be a few different options regarding meet up points, these can be a ferry points etc. Trouble is, people will be travelling from all over unless it is one big group all from the same area, otherwise it will need to be a set location and time that all riders will need to meet there. and yes, pillion riders will want to do more site seeing, distilleries, whisky trails, museums etc will all be put onto the website. my business will be unique due to a variety of different options regarding bike tours, bespoke to each group, outdoor activities can also be arranged if the group would like to have a couple of days off the bike and do some activities.

Best of luck with your venture.
I've worked in the distillery business and they are usually popular whether a rider or a pillion. Islay is always popular but, obviously, not on the mainland. The new Macallan distillery is stunning (I was on the commissioning team) and like none other. Talisker in Skye is also good with local accommodation and great see views if you carry on past the Carbost.
The new Brora distillery is handy for taking the old Highland Clearance road to Melvich.
I could go on but I'm sure you're well organised already.

Do you know how big the market is? How many folk take guided tours?

And who the competition are, what they do and don't offer, how busy they are, the variation in prices from them all, a source of rental bikes for folk from overseas, cost of insurance, etc

Good luck with it.

A couple of things to consider (based on some experience of bike tour Cos.):

1. Bike hire: your customers may be coming from abroad and will need to hire bikes here.

2. A back-up vehicle: Not just for breakdowns but folk like to off-load their luggage when on the tour and then meet up with it at the accommodation.

3. Know your route well: Tour Guides getting lost in Morocco & Southern Turkey didn't instil confidence :D.

Bob.

A couple of things to consider (based on some experience of bike tour Cos.):

1. Bike hire: your customers may be coming from abroad and will need to hire bikes here.

2. A back-up vehicle: Not just for breakdowns but folk like to off-load their luggage when on the tour and then meet up with it at the accommodation.

3. Know your route well: Tour Guides getting lost in Morocco & Southern Turkey didn't instil confidence :D.

Bob.

+1 on a back-up van, ramp emergency gear and it also protects the riders from the rear, you can easily add in the cost of the van and driver, when taking a big group out, and if it is just 1 or 2 riders, you can offer them the option of having a van with them for protection against anything happening, mega bad weather, accidents etc.

From a personal perspective I can’t see why anybody would need to be guided around Scotland. I can see that it might work with bike hire included for foreigners flying in though. Good luck with it.

From a personal perspective I can’t see why anybody would need to be guided around Scotland. I can see that it might work with bike hire included for foreigners flying in though. Good luck with it.

Probably the same as people who go on all inclusive holidays, some do not have time to plan, and others just like it all laid on, only time will tell if it works or not, and it is always nice to have someone local who knows the area, hopefully.......;)

Thanks for all your input guys, the back up van I hadn't really thought about to be honest, but it now has me thinking..... As for bike hire, I am looking to try and avoid this area due to a number of reasons, one being that I think it will be more hassle than its worth, damage costs etc. I know these will all be covered under the rental company insurance but I am just looking to try and avoid it if I can, unless I get a load of requests regarding hire bikes then I will need to look into it more.
Keep the questions and thoughts coming though, more the better...
Thanks
JT

Hi

I've been on a few guided tours and they can suit some people really well , as its dead easy not to think about some things, and just enjoy the experience.

What I found useful was:

Accommodation was booked in advance, including lunch stops, especially if there are a few of you, we even pre-ordered food to save some time and messing at some locations.
The opportunity to share rooms for single riders was given to save costs...........but thats very personal.
They used a drop off system of riding to keep everyone together, worked well: but the company had a lead and rear biker. Large numbers can get unwieldly
Routes were sent ahead as GPX files, or could be shared at the first meet point......but that takes time depending on the people in the group who are not tech savvy.
Riders abilities were assessed quite quickly...........remember you may have novices and Rossi.........be aware.
The rides I went on you always had to meet at a certain point wherever you came from. The depart point was clearly flexible, as people could drop off the tour at any stage. But make sure they tell you!!!!
This tour company insisted you had your own insurance etc and your own recovery. Clearly you may flex and bend a tour for clients say to via off to get a puncture fixed or tyre replaced (may be worth knowing some garages) however dont over promise. I wouldn't want to spend a whole day sorting someothers problems out.
These guys know the routes like the back of their hand, all over Europe.

You may consider doing one with them on the quite to see how they operated, if so PM me and I'll tell you who they are.

Hope this helps a little

PS think of all the things that may challenge you, and have some contingencies.............I ride with a group of guys too, great guys but erratic to say the least........too pissed to ride the next day etc....Just a thought

To be brutally honest I think that if this is to be your only source of income you will struggle.

Scotland isnt a difficult place to tour, EG the NC500 is widely advertised and the route readily available. Good roads are not hard to find either with a little searching on the web.

You may get a few people who without organised tours would either have to do it on their own or mot do it I.E the social aspect could attract some punters but how much they will be prepared to pay is questionable.

I do know that the LAds at the Becleuluch Arms do tours although I am not sure how popular they actually are but of course the Hotel is their main business and tours are a mere hobby if you will. They are also more than happy to suggest great roads and routes to bods staying in their hotel they do this for free.

I have led tours around Scotland a few times ( NOT FOR PROFIT I MAY ADD) for mates and once an open invite trip on here. Tour leading is not an easy job as you bear all the responsibility for folk having a good or bad time.

Think carefully and I am sorry if i have or appear to be pissing on your bonfire

Thanks for all your input guys, the back up van I hadn't really thought about to be honest, but it now has me thinking..... As for bike hire, I am looking to try and avoid this area due to a number of reasons, one being that I think it will be more hassle than its worth, damage costs etc. I know these will all be covered under the rental company insurance but I am just looking to try and avoid it if I can, unless I get a load of requests regarding hire bikes then I will need to look into it more.
Keep the questions and thoughts coming though, more the better...
Thanks
JT

Good advice above about knowing your market. There is plenty of advice out there about touring Scotland. A great deal of it on this very forum. Many UK and foreign bikers would come on their own, armed with such advice and having booked accomodation ahead on internet platforms. What they don't have is good local knowledge of less well known routes, places and support for luggage and when things go wrong. Abandoning your own bike and providing a support van may be worth considering. After all, it's not YOUR holiday, it's the client's. The van could be used for luggage transport (people always take too much and having such a facility might be a good USP) and for emergencies when things go wrong. Providing route maps on a daily basis and tips re eating places and optional side routes could take the place of leading the group. Not so much fun for you maybe but possibly more useful to the client?

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum.

I've done a few bike tours (as a customer), some good, some bad.
I've also run my own business for many years - so forgive me if my 2p worth concentrates on that side of things.

Sounds like you have the biking skills and knowledge of Scotland.
Do you have any experience running a small business? e.g. keeping books, tax etc?
Do you plan to run this through a Limited Company? You should seriously consider it, as this is the best way to protect your personal assets.
Have you looked into liability insurance?
Have you identified a gap in the market for this business?
What is the demand? Who are your competitors. Are they successful? If not, why not?
Put together a business plan - there's plenty of advice on how to do that on the web. It doesn't have to be a huge document but you need to get it in writing and get someone you trust to look it over and say if they think you are being realistic.

Be aware of the constant support some of your customers will need (you will not believe how fuck-witted some people are).
How are you going to manage bookings, enquiries etc while you are offshore?
Suggest you start gradually. Also suggest you organise your first tour for friends/family who will forgive you your mistakes - but treat them as if they are genuine customers so you can properly 'stress-test' your system e.g. send out proper joining instructions & generally run around after them.

Remember - it won't be the same as when you go on tours yourself. Your guests are on holiday - you are not.

I wish you the very best for your venture.

Thanks GSRider, a good bit of info right there, I have covered most of these points you have pointed out during the planning process of this business, as I said before this wont be my main source of income, im still working offshore so these tours will be run on my time off, I can be flexible with when I run them with no big overheads etc, I have the bike, a good variety of riding gear and tool kit. this week I have been speaking to a few local garages to me for some back up support, and also garages around the routes I will be doing.
When I organise a bike tour and a meet up point, I will then go over each riders bike to make sure they are road worthy and tyres etc are all good, I know its upto them to keep on top of this but if I can help them out and get stuff sorted before they head out with me on tour I will ( in this day in age id imagine everyone looks after their pride and joy).
I should have an alcohol policy ;-) hahaha 3 pints max then bed lol

Hi

I've been on a few guided tours and they can suit some people really well , as its dead easy not to think about some things, and just enjoy the experience.

What I found useful was:

Accommodation was booked in advance, including lunch stops, especially if there are a few of you, we even pre-ordered food to save some time and messing at some locations.
The opportunity to share rooms for single riders was given to save costs...........but thats very personal.
They used a drop off system of riding to keep everyone together, worked well: but the company had a lead and rear biker. Large numbers can get unwieldly
Routes were sent ahead as GPX files, or could be shared at the first meet point......but that takes time depending on the people in the group who are not tech savvy.
Riders abilities were assessed quite quickly...........remember you may have novices and Rossi.........be aware.
The rides I went on you always had to meet at a certain point wherever you came from. The depart point was clearly flexible, as people could drop off the tour at any stage. But make sure they tell you!!!!
This tour company insisted you had your own insurance etc and your own recovery. Clearly you may flex and bend a tour for clients say to via off to get a puncture fixed or tyre replaced (may be worth knowing some garages) however dont over promise. I wouldn't want to spend a whole day sorting someothers problems out.
These guys know the routes like the back of their hand, all over Europe.

You may consider doing one with them on the quite to see how they operated, if so PM me and I'll tell you who they are.

Hope this helps a little

PS think of all the things that may challenge you, and have some contingencies.............I ride with a group of guys too, great guys but erratic to say the least........too pissed to ride the next day etc....Just a thought

Thanks mate, again some very good info, I have experience on running a small business, I have a small plant maintenance business that I have been running on the side as well as offshore, I haven't really pushed it over the last 2 years due working offshore and enjoying my time off and touring, I have an accountant already, book systems all in place etc. I have researched public liability insurance and awaiting some quotes, I am going to build this up slowly as im in no rush, it will take time to build up a good clientele. These things will take time for sure.

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum.

I've done a few bike tours (as a customer), some good, some bad.
I've also run my own business for many years - so forgive me if my 2p worth concentrates on that side of things.

Sounds like you have the biking skills and knowledge of Scotland.
Do you have any experience running a small business? e.g. keeping books, tax etc?
Do you plan to run this through a Limited Company? You should seriously consider it, as this is the best way to protect your personal assets.
Have you looked into liability insurance?
Have you identified a gap in the market for this business?
What is the demand? Who are your competitors. Are they successful? If not, why not?
Put together a business plan - there's plenty of advice on how to do that on the web. It doesn't have to be a huge document but you need to get it in writing and get someone you trust to look it over and say if they think you are being realistic.

Be aware of the constant support some of your customers will need (you will not believe how fuck-witted some people are).
How are you going to manage bookings, enquiries etc while you are offshore?
Suggest you start gradually. Also suggest you organise your first tour for friends/family who will forgive you your mistakes - but treat them as if they are genuine customers so you can properly 'stress-test' your system e.g. send out proper joining instructions & generally run around after them.

Remember - it won't be the same as when you go on tours yourself. Your guests are on holiday - you are not.

I wish you the very best for your venture.

Don't bother with a support vehicle as the costs are huge. I've looked at it for some of my trips Stateside and it's just not cost effective in my opinion.

Make sure everyone preps their bikes properly (believe me, some don't) and make sure they have suitable breakdon insurance.

Also, have someone in teh group who will work with you on a trip. Many are happy to do this and it wil take a lot of pressure off you.

Jamie another thing to take into consideration is, if you decide to make this your full time income at some point, if something like an off happens, certainly hoping not, things can turn sour quickly, and being self employed, well the state leaves you in the mud.

Hey Jamie, good on you for making the extra effort.

Ignore the opinions about ' you don't need a guide to tour Scotland ', some people won't leave their home town without some form of guidance so there is a market.
But...you will have to offer a different experience to capture interest as there are already at least 2 other's on this forum offering a similar service.

After talking to an Australian couple on a trip last year it seems that there are a growing number of Australians who want to come here and tour the rest of Europe but unfortunately import and taxes can be ridiculously high so they would rather fly over and hire / short term buy...maybe an alternative route to follow :augie

All the best,

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom