R1100 Not Pulling Over 5500rpm

runninn

Reaction score
What could be the cause of an 02 R1100 (12k miles) not pulling from 5500 up to 7500 rpm?
It will occasionally pull well, yet normally 'stutters' when revving over 5500.... kind of like spark cutting on and off.
When it works...it flies, but 80% of time it will 'stutter' instead of revving.
Spark plugs??? ....If so, what type is recommended? I have put about a thousand miles on it since I bought it in the Spring.
Otherwise, it runs perfect.

thanks!

Twin spark engine ?
If so it sounds like one or both of your main coil sticks have failed.

Sorry....R1100S
The poor running is more like it's not receiving enough gas.
Another example is that giving it gas above 5500 (3rd gear) equals VERY slow rpm increase .... only 20% of time does it rev quickly above 5500 rpm.
One final example: Problem (3rd gear)....it takes 3 seconds to rev from 5500 to 7500 rpm Only 20% of time does it run properly and take 1/2 a second to rev from 5500 to 7500 rpm
(I don't make it a habit to rev the bike... such good low to mid range torque). Thanks

Last edited:
Do you have two plus per cylinder? If you do take Steptor’s advice.

Or you could have a plugged fuel filter or leaking in tank hose. You can check that by measuring how much fuel returns to the tank in a minute at idle.

Single plug head.... Recommended way to change fuel filter?
(In-tank filter or fuel hose filter ?). Thanks!

Before doing anything measure the amount of fuel flowing out of the fuel distributor at idle. It should be 2 liters in one minute.

If it is, fuel flow isn’t your problem. If it’s not the something in the tank isn’t right.

How is this checked?

There are two hoses coming from the fuel tank....one is the output from the fuel pump which feeds the fuel rail. The other hose is the return line from the fuel rail via pressure regulator back to the fuel tank.

If you disconnect the return fuel line and place it in a suitable container. When you start the bike the return fuel can be captured and measured.

Back
Top Bottom