'17 GSA in for service so had a 1250 for the day

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My '17 GSA was in for a service yesterday (16th Jan) and I was offered a 1250GS for the day.

I've read loads about the 1250 and really wasn't expecting there to be any significant difference, but I was wrong! After 140 miles of great A roads, loads of B roads, central Bath and Bristol and a spell on a wet and miserable M5 I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The extra power is noticeable but it is the extra torque and smoothness of the delivery that is so much better than mine. My bike has a very noticeable "flat spot" between 4000 and 5000 RPM, the 1250 just doesn't have one at any RPM.

Other than going down the controversial Hilltop route does anyone have any advice of an alternative that might improve my bike - would a Rapidbike unit help? (Perhaps I ought to speak to Mark at Cymarc)

I had also dismissed the TFT display as unnecessary bling, but again I was wrong, for my old eyes it was so much better than trying to read my analogue/LCD combination. I also liked the auto hill hold.

Overall it's not enough of an upgrade to make we want to rush out and get one but it will be a nice upgrade when my current PCP deal ends.

Glad you enjoyed it, I was convinced after my 1 hour test ride

Agree with all your comments as well, changed my 2017 GS after the test ride, even the wife noticed how smooth and quiet it was

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

, even the wife noticed how smooth and quiet it was [emoji41

I used that trick to buy my 18 Rallye GSA, so that one won’t work again anytime soon :D

Other than going down the controversial Hilltop route does anyone have any advice of an alternative that might improve my bike - would a Rapidbike unit help? (Perhaps I ought to speak to Mark at Cymarc)

I have to mention that the Hilltop route transformed my 2017 GSA Rallye - smoother and more usable power - I never looked back and have done 6k on it since it was done, its a no brainer. I did 12k on a 16 plate GS the previous year so I am in a position to compare.

I have to mention that the Hilltop route transformed my 2017 GSA Rallye - smoother and more usable power - I never looked back and have done 6k on it since it was done, its a no brainer.

Ditto with my ‘17 Tripppppple :)toungincheek)Black GSA

I’ve a 2014/15 gs, rode the 1250 , it’s really nice, but not “my bike plus 12k” nice, it’s not that much better😬 ( that’s to upgrade to a gsa wither luggage etc 😉

Last edited:
I have to mention that the Hilltop route transformed my 2017 GSA Rallye - smoother and more usable power - I never looked back and have done 6k on it since it was done, its a no brainer. I did 12k on a 16 plate GS the previous year so I am in a position to compare.

When I took a 1250 out on Saturday, I was expecting it to be similar to my Hilltopped 1200, but it was much better.

I wonder what a Hilltopped 1250 with full system would be like? :augie

When I took a 1250 out on Saturday, I was expecting it to be similar to my Hilltopped 1200, but it was much better.

300 bhp

I will be doing exactly that with my new 1250.

That’s on the post dyno run, 87 bhp on the pre run.

That's if the engine isn't running so lean it'll blow up and destroy most of Hinckley.

Best not do a pre run, that shift cam is like a ticking time bomb mate....

What do you hope to get from having it Hilltopped ?

Biscuits and a guaranteed laugh, apparently..... :D

Oh... and 300 BHP printed on the finest silk paper chart, watermarked for authenticity.

The 1250 is clearly going to be the best engine. You can close the gap over a std bike with a 'dreaded H', rapidbike or powercommander upgrade for significantly less than a PX and new bike though. Just depends on how deep your pockets are I guess.

What do you hope to get from having it Hilltopped ?

The same improvements over standard fuelling that I have experienced on my four previous bikes that Geoff has worked on.
I’m one of those people the sceptics on here cannot understand. Not interested in figures, just a very satisfied returning customer!!!

....I’m one of those people the sceptics on here cannot understand. Not interested in figures, just a very satisfied returning customer!!!

What the hell do they put in those biscuits?

Plus 1 with the Hilltop have had two done over the last 5 years it will remove you flat spot and give you an excellent performance for LOADS cheaper than a new 1250.

Save your money we may be bankrupt next year :fiddle:fiddle

KB

Strange world is it not?

We have owners that slag the hilltop improvements (who never had it done) but are prepared to pay on average 5k to 8k to upgrade to a 1250 with improved fuelling, rather than pay HT £300 odd quid or so to improve the fuelling on the 1200gs LC.

As I said strange, more so when you can have a full refund from HT if you dont like it? Try taking taking your bike back to your dealer?

Hilltop success must be bike and rider specific. I couldn’t identify any difference in my bike after a Hilltop “remap”, nor any change after “it” had been removed. I’m not alone, either. See TX R Nine T’s post below. His before/after Hilltop independent dyno runs show no discernable power increase and he couldn’t tell any difference riding the bike:

https://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-tuning-performance/119578-2017-tuning-options-2.html

Mike 5100 couldn’t spot any change after a Hilltop remap either:

https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...scussion/32595-low-speed-poor-fuelling-3.html

Neither could Swagneto:

https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...scussion/32595-low-speed-poor-fuelling-4.html

I know of no other tuner where some customers can’t tell any difference at all after remapping. Bike forums have many, many posts extolling the incredible power and rideability improvements of a Hilltop remap, but in reality these gushing “testimonials” emanate from a relatively small group of individuals (and in many cases the language used to describe the benefits show remarkable similarities from forum to forum).

If something seems too good to be true, is so mysterious that nobody can properly explain it, and there’s no evidence that it even exists, you’d be daft not to be sceptical.

Back
Top Bottom