larksnostril

Reaction score
2001 Dakar. 18,000 mi on odo. Excellent condition. Purchased recently from 2nd owner. I'm a stranger to electrical sleuthing beyond knowing how to solder connections properly and screw in a bulb.
All elect systems functioning perfectly but needed new battery, brighter headlight and tailight.
Battery replaced with a Lithium one resulting in no electrical glitches. Removal of headlight assembly and replacement of stock bulb with LED resulted in no elctrical problems. Removal of the original tailight assebly and replacment with new LED unit has resulted in no pwer to any lighting system except dashboard.
I've identified no loose connections and not sure how to proceed. Are there canbus faults needing correction? I have a shop manual but can't find troubleshooting steps anywhere.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No canbus on these bikes. Check the fuses under the seat. Check for wiring chafes, especially around headstock. If you revert to stock tail light does it all work again?

From what you have described the problem lies in the fitting of the rear tail light. Replace with the original one to see if all works. LED light units have been known to cause problems. If the original one doesn't work then you need to look at the wiring.

Only wiring proble, have had with my 650 was the wire rubbing against a weld under the seat LHS = sub frame bolt was also loose. Your post suggests no earth or power connection to/from the new LEDs put one old one in and try again
Good luck and welcome to the forum :thumby::thumby:

Gratitude

Only wiring proble, have had with my 650 was the wire rubbing against a weld under the seat LHS = sub frame bolt was also loose. Your post suggests no earth or power connection to/from the new LEDs put one old one in and try again
Good luck and welcome to the forum :thumby::thumby:

Thanks, one and all for your thoughtful replies..and being welcomed.
I'll get after this little conundrum this weekend and reply with update.
Keep the shiney parts up.

Back
Top Bottom